Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Photo of Delivery
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon Photo of Delivery

I got a box delivered yesterday and an email from Amazon with a photo of the box sitting in front of the door. Has anyone else seen this? What is the intent - proof of delivery?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got a box delivered yesterday and an email from Amazon with a photo of the box sitting in front of the door. Has anyone else seen this? What is the intent - proof of delivery?
Have not seen or heard of this, but that would be my guess.

Have you ever had problems with porch pirates?
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
....Have you ever had problems with porch pirates?
Nope. Pretty safe neighborhood.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

Here is a link explaining the photo program;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202132680

You can opt out of photo-of-delivery;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202132660

I could see where this would be a benefit if the delivery man/woman had to 'hide' the package so it wasn't in plain view of the street. Maybe set it along side the garage, behind a planter or bush. I live in the country and have a gate at my driveway with a man-gate for foot traffic in. Many times the UPS driver delivers at the gate instead of carrying the package all the way down to my front door. Sometimes it right in the way of the gate and the gate sweeps it off the driveway as I approach, pressing my gate button early so I can just whip in.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nope. Pretty safe neighborhood.
Interesting. I use Amazon pretty frequently. I get text messages notifying me of delivery, but never an email with a photograph.

I noticed in the last week that some deliveries are from a private company and not from UPS or the USPS. Perhaps that is the case with you and those folks are providing confirmation to Amazon that they made the delivery.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I swapped my dumb phone for a Samsung 8 on Black Friday..went on my DD and SIL phone plan, they're only going to charge me 20 bucks a month the line access fee.

USPS put the phone on their front step Sunday morning, didn't even ring the doorbell...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Interesting. I use Amazon pretty frequently. I get text messages notifying me of delivery, but never an email with a photograph.

I noticed in the last week that some deliveries are from a private company and not from UPS or the USPS. Perhaps that is the case with you and those folks are providing confirmation to Amazon that they made the delivery.
That's a likely explanation. I have not been sent a picture either, but between the low crime rate here, and the distance between houses, theft isn't much of an issue.

If you look at the tracking from Amazon, it will specify if it is one of their own delivery people. That's kinda weird, as their vehicles aren't marked. I've had people drive up, and I'm ready to snarl at them thinking they are a solicitor, then I hear them say something about Amazon, and open their truck and pull out a package that I'm expecting, and I'm all "Oh, thanks, here let me take that for you!".

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

I got someone else's Amazon package that was misdelivered* by Amazon Logistics once. They haven't yet lost one of mine, but it will probably be helpful to be able to say "that photo is not of my home" when it does eventually happen.

* Getting the misdelivered package back to Amazon was a major hassle. I just wanted them to call their own driver who made the mistake and was probably still in the neighborhood and send him back to pick it up, but it took forever for the Amazon rep to understand what had happened. Instead they decided to send a UPS truck out with a return label two days later. Then when they got the package back, they gave me a refund for this thing I hadn't ordered. I really thought about trying to give the refund back, but it was a small amount (certainly less than UPS charged them for the pickup and return shipping) and I didn't have the time or inclination to go through another round of explanations, so I ended up rounding up our next charitable donation by $20 and calling it even.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Wow, I wish we got pictures of deliveries. No real front door to our house, and the drivers often miss the big deck storage box under the tractor's carport, labeled "UPS FED EX DELIVERIES." Always a bit of an adventure to find packages if not put in that box.

Rural world problems. :-)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That's kinda weird, as their vehicles aren't marked. I've had people drive up, and I'm ready to snarl at them thinking they are a solicitor, then I hear them say something about Amazon, and open their truck and pull out a package that I'm expecting, and I'm all "Oh, thanks, here let me take that for you!".

-ERD50
Their white vans in our area have a clearly painted "Amazon" logo about a foot tall on their sides. Kind of like this one:

160808-FLEX-KEVINJBEATY-01.jpg
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I got someone else's Amazon package that was misdelivered* by Amazon Logistics once. They haven't yet lost one of mine, but it will probably be helpful to be able to say "that photo is not of my home" when it does eventually happen.

* Getting the misdelivered package back to Amazon was a major hassle.
I had a similar situation last week with the USPS and, amazingly, had the opposite experience.

I had been provided the tracking information and subscribed for text updates from the Post Office for a package I was expecting. I was w@rking at home last Friday when I got a text telling me that the package had just been delivered.

I walked out to the mailbox a couple of minutes later, but the package was not with my mail. After double checking and then looking around a little to see if it had been dropped, I walked back inside and called the local post office.

With me on the line, the lady at the post office called the carrier on his cell. He was on the next street over. He circled back, pulled it out of my neighbors mailbox and drove it up the driveway to my front door.

We both had a chuckle about senior moments, then he was on his way.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

My USPS walks my mail to me on occasion. The third party amazon carrier on the weekend is just a regular uber driver making side cash...usually a honda or toyota sedan that chucks a package on my door, not nicely and then does something on their phone to confirm the "drop". Sometimes I notice these guys like to hang outside my home for a period of time...makes me wonder if they are hourly.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #13

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, UPS would not deliver except to a person. Might be to your neighbox, but someone had to sign for the delivery. I imagine the quantity of boxes shipped is way higher now, thanks in part to Amazon, such that delivery to a person is more expensive than the risk of just leaving the package.

How much does a photo of a box left at a house really prove? For example, how do we know it's not an empty box? Or, an unscrupulous delivery person could snatch the package right after taking the photo.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Their white vans in our area have a clearly painted "Amazon" logo about a foot tall on their sides. Kind of like this one:

Attachment 27266
Haven't noticed those. But I've seen the occasional drop off from Amazon from what appears to be just some guy/gal with a car. Nothing special about the car, and I didn;t notice a logo (might have missed it). Like someone said, these might be Uber drivers, though I seem to recall one car probably wasn't really nice enough for Uber standards.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #15

Here they use a combination of their own white vans and part-time workers driving their own cars.

Sign up here if you want to be an Amazon delivery person: https://flex.amazon.com/
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Attachment 27266
Recently, all Amazon deliveries made to my home were in plain unmarked cars. I think they were contractors doing side jobs for Amazon.

The Amazon logo in the posted picture may be a big magnetic sticker, like an oversized fridge magnet. It would signal legitimacy for part-time delivery men.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Like someone said, these might be Uber drivers, though I seem to recall one car probably wasn't really nice enough for Uber standards. -ERD50
I've used Uber ~20 times, so I'm used sort of used to seeing what their cars look like. (cars must only be a few years old)

The last time I used Uber, I was picked up at my home airport to be driven home. This middle-aged guy wheels up in an old, rusted-out van...at least 4" of the bottom of his doors were missing due to rust. Initially, I assumed he was not an Uber driver, but somehow mistakenly ended-up in the Uber pick-up area. But no, he stops and says he's there to pick me up (confirmed by his name on my phone app.)

I got in and he drove me home. Initially, I was thinking of saying something, or reporting him. But based on his appearance and our convo, I figured he was a family man trying to make a few bucks. I'm not sure where his "Uber-qualified" car was.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
.. I'm not sure where his "Uber-qualified" car was.
His wife used it that day to make a grocery run. Or he borrowed his son's better car when signing up with Uber.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Here they use a combination of their own white vans and part-time workers driving their own cars.

Sign up here if you want to be an Amazon delivery person: https://flex.amazon.com/
Yep, a few months ago we had 2 Fire devices delivered same day. It was fun to watch the tracking, someone obviously exceeding the speed limit on the interstate from the Amazon warehouse. Then, a pause for local staging, and "out for delivery".

Some college aged guy drops them off a hour or so later, using his college student type car . Sounds like a great gig to make a few extra bucks in the evening.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #20

I believe you can upgrade to Amazon "Prime Plus" and have them Photoshop the picture to give you a much more upscale front door with the package being handed to your butler.