Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is a good added benefit. I would like to add, however, that it isn't "free"...just the same as your breakfast at the Hilton isn't "free". Included with your PAID Prime membership? Yep. Free? Nope.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This is a good added benefit. I would like to add, however, that it isn't "free"...just the same as your breakfast at the Hilton isn't "free". Included with your PAID Prime membership? Yep. Free? Nope.
"Incrementally" free, perhaps -- for now. Of course, if they raised the price for Prime as a result, it would cease to be even incrementally "free".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
I consider it in the same category as the free local library where I live. Sure, it costs money as a component of my property taxes, but I consider it extremely good value for the money. Same here.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not saying Amazon may not have plans to raise their Prime subscription rate, but for now, when they add value after I've paid for my annual subscription, it is free. Give me an unexpected donut after I pay for filling up the gas tank? That's a free donut. I like donuts.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I hope this thread is still active.

I’ve been using Prime Reading during this godawful heat spell this summer. It really is a nice benefit and easy to use with Kindle.

Most recent title for me was One Day With You by Shari Low which is admittedly a “chick book” but I don’t care. Perfect summertime beach reading

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 01:32 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hope this thread is still active.
It is now. I haven’t had much luck with Prime reading and find most of my books at the public library digital section or just buy. I do take advantage of Prime slower shipping digital credits, though.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It is now. I haven’t had much luck with Prime reading and find most of my books at the public library digital section or just buy. I do take advantage of Prime slower shipping digital credits, though.

I used to find more books that I liked with the "free offers." Lately, most of the books seem to be new authors or books in the middle of a series, etc. I haven't found one that was worth worth downloading in over a year. The waiting periods are often long at my digital library, but I have a bunch of books to read while I wait. Those books aren't truly free either, but I have to pay taxes for the library whether I use it or not, so I use it heavily.
Trailwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:02 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I too used to occasionally find an interesting free book in First Reads every month. But they have gone to almost 100% "chick books" (to borrow Steely's phrase) in the last year.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I too used to occasionally find an interesting free book in First Reads every month. But they have gone to almost 100% "chick books" (to borrow Steely's phrase) in the last year.

Yes, I did say that

I’ve taken advantage of Amazon Classics recently too. I used to get Wisehouse Classics that were well done (and free for Kindle) but they’ve disappeared.

Something to do while waiting for my nail polish to dry.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I've been paying for Kindle Unlimited. I don't really like subscriptions but I needed a new slate of books that my library doesn't have. I love to read so to me $10/month(?) is a small price to expand my library.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #31

Amazon has had free reading material for years. My wife used to download magazines before we traveled. I’m
not sure what’s different about the new program. Maybe a bigger selection.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I've been paying for Kindle Unlimited. I don't really like subscriptions but I needed a new slate of books that my library doesn't have. I love to read so to me $10/month(?) is a small price to expand my library.
Same here. I definitely feel I get my money's worth from Kindle Unlimited. The bonus is that it's cheaper than the county library's component of my property tax, so I consider it a bargain.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Amazon has had free reading material for years. My wife used to download magazines before we traveled. I’m
not sure what’s different about the new program. Maybe a bigger selection.

You’re right. This thread started in 2016.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You’re right. This thread started in 2016.
LOL! I didn't notice that. I mentioned the thread to my wife and she said she's done that for years. We didn't think it was new.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Same here. I definitely feel I get my money's worth from Kindle Unlimited. The bonus is that it's cheaper than the county library's component of my property tax, so I consider it a bargain.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I’m glad you mentioned this (digital credits). I think someone has posted the solution before but can’t find it.

I also take advantage of the Prime credits offered if you opt for them at checkout. But I’ve no idea how to check on your balance if you have any.

I rented a Prime Video movie earlier this summer and to my surprise the rental was free. Wow … thanks but … huh?

Old 09-08-2023, 06:48 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
You guys know that you can borrow ebooks from the library, right?

Between my Prime membership, the Kindle owner's lending library, and borrowing from two public libraries, I read 99% of the time for free. A couple times a year I buy an ebook because it's not available to borrow, but since I read an average of ~3 books a month the expense is small compared to my habit.
Philliefan, I'm a Mets fan, but ditto for me. I was slow to start ebooks since I didn't realize the free kindle app could be used to read books on my devices, but once I started there was no turning back. I may get a Kindle one of these days but phone & computer work well for me. Mostly borrow from the library & rarely buy -- too many books & I'm paring down. I'm in 2 book groups & read a lot, only go with hardcovers if an ebook is not available.
lucky penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:23 PM   #38

Thanks for the link. Even though it was 7 years old it's still relevant today. I was able to get a couple of interesting reads with my Prime membership.

A couple of years ago I was on Kindle Unlimited for about 6 months. I think there was a free 3 month period they used to suck me in and then I let them bill me for 3 more months. I felt that after I had read the really good books there was quite a lot of so-so books that I was reading simply because they were "free". I did not continue with Kindle Unlimited. I might go back and give it another try.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Prime Reading ain't what it used to be. I don't find much of interest there anymore. The First Reads program is getting worse as well. I think I read one, maybe two books in the past year from First Reads. I miss the Kindle Owners Lending Library. I was always able to find one book each month that I wanted to read, but they discontinued that program many years ago.

I've never bothered with Kindle Unlimited. When I browse for books on Amazon I can see which ones are part of Kindle Unlimited and it's just not a very good selection.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I love my Kindle Unlimited subscription so much. I read a lot of books through it and so my cost per book is very, very small. Many of these are the ones published only on Kindle but I still enjoy reading them. Some are books by authors who put some books on Kindle Unlimited and others you have to buy. In many cases, I've found an author that way and end up paying for some of their other books.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote