Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #161

Got the same email:

The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on June 1, 2018 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting June 1, 2019.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My renewal isn't until July, so will have the new price increase.

The "it's not you, it's me" email from Amazon .
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got the email but surprise! It says mine renews in June at $99 and will go up in June of 2019! I think that is better than Sat. TV and Phone Co. witch just raise the bill and then tell you.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

i'm not sure what I am going to do about this. I may drop Prime just to fire a shot across the bow of Amazon. For those times when I need 'free' quick delivery I can use the $120 to buy some cheap thing that might be fun to have if I am under the minimum amount.

What has kept me in Prime e are the shows. There are three I watch and several others in the family watch. They may be worth the paying the extra cost. OTOH, a 20% increase is quite a big one. So, maybe it's time to skip the shows and just settle for Netflix.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Got the email but surprise! It says mine renews in June at $99 and will go up in June of 2019! I think that is better than Sat. TV and Phone Co. witch just raise the bill and then tell you.
^ This. At least Amazon gave me the opportunity of renewing for another $99 in June before jacking up the price immediately.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

I got the e-mail too, and mine says
Quote:
The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. The new price will apply to your renewals starting October 29, 2018.
Oh well!! I kind of expected that.

Honestly, I can afford it and this is one of those simple pleasures that I don't mind spending money on at all.

I get a big charge out of the nearly instant gratification, and the feeling that shipping is free (even though it really isn't if one thinks about the yearly fee, but I don't). Anyway, logical or not, Amazon Prime makes me extremely HAPPY and so it is more than worth it to me. I just love it.

For you travelers, imagine something that makes you happier than waking up to find that you are in a luxury hotel in Paris.

For you car nuts, imagine something that makes you happier than your own vintage '57 Chevy in pristine shape, sitting in your driveway when you go out there today.

That's Amazon Prime, for me. I just love it. Yes, this is crazy-as-a-loon W2R posting about crazy things again.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

My renewal is October at the new price.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #168

I have an August renewal date but have not yet received an email from Amazon as to what my renewal rate will be. (I'm guessing it'll be the $119 rate).

Have any other August enrollees here received their Amazon renewal emails?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

I got the email. And it confirmed mine would renew at $99. My renewal is the day before the increase. Got lucky for once.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Duplicate.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

My renewal is next February!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #172

I’m good until April 2019. Pure luck.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the email too. Although I do NOT think that Amazon needs more money, I do feel that Prime is worth the cost. Just yesterday, I had a 125 lb. gas powered piece of yard equipment purchased on Amazon delivered (by UPS) for $0, less than 1-week after ordering (actually on the 3rd w*rking day).
I also utilize the Amazon music feature a lot through a phone and via Alexa, and have upgraded the music service recently in order to have access to "every record ever recorded" or some such incredible variety of music. Use it a bit.
I now question my need for Sirius XM in the cars - once I can get Amazon music to play directly in both vehicles.
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbraemer View Post
I now question my need for Sirius XM in the cars - once I can get Amazon music to play directly in both vehicles.

I use the Amazon music player on my phone to play music thru my car stereo using bluetooth. Besides the cost savings from not paying for SirusXM the quality of the music is also better IMO. I also like the fact that Amazon lets you download the music so you can listen to it offline, no need to use any data plan.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Got my Prime membership fee is going up email today. Ready or not .
Got my email this week too. I used it as the prompt to really think about whether Amzn Prime is worth it. Even with the increase, I decided it is for me.

Just today, I submitted two orders on Amzn.

The first was for me. I have been needing to replace my undershirts for a while and have been putting off going to the mall. Today, I ordered some via Amazon's program that lets you try before you buy. If you don't like it, just send them back. They don't charge your card until you buy.

Second order. My daughter (27) lives in rural Nebraska. She is and will always be my princess, and I reserve the right to spoil her as I see fit. Today, I sent her a care package of animal crackers, gummi bears, and chocolate. I shopped Costco and Walmart; Amazon beat both of them on pricing. With free 2-day shipping, Daddy's princess will be enjoying her treats this weekend.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #176
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm, my renewal is May 25. I didn’t get an email so I called amazon to ask the price. I was told that my subscription expires next week and the renewal price was $119. I was on the fence about whether to renew since I don’t order that much and only occasionally watch the videos. This settles it for me...I will not renew. Just don’t feel it is worth it for me.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my renewal for Nov 2018 @ $120/year.

Going to renew it - Amazon Prime has changed the way I shop and has value for me >> $10/month. I compare the service that Amazon provides with other "subscription" plans - say Comcast basic tier cable service which is $360/year ($30/month) - and is crap.

Go Bezos.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

"Here's how to get an $800 value out of your $119 Amazon Prime account"

Quote:
Amazon is rolling out its Whole Foods discount to its Prime members today, part of the benefits that one analysis said makes the service worth almost $800 per year.

That's a big value, given that Prime membership currently costs $119 annually. Yet households want to feel they're getting their money's worth, especially since Amazon (AMZN) boosted the annual price from $99 earlier this month.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I see that Amazon has just picked up "The Expanse" after SciFi killed its 4th season. If it is part of prime, that will be a big plus. Right now Seasons 1 and 2 are part of prime. Season 3 costs $$s.

I need to check which books are free on Audible. I didn't know about that.

I do wish they would allow separate accounts for various viewers in the household.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #180

I see people keep confusing the 2-day free shipping through Prime vs. their free-shipping on orders over $25 which in my case it usually is anyway.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote