Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
There are some movies, including documentaries, on Van Gogh, including his time in Provence.

Trying to remember if Breathless was shot in the Côte d'Azur.
Thanks - I'll look for those.

Seeing the amazingly intact Roman ruins is a big motivator for visiting southern France so that was why I was so happy to try the series again.

A great one on Van Gogh - Dr Who episode "Vincent and the Doctor". We've already been to many of the sites in Normandy, especially that church with the scary monster.

Yep, we'll also visit the sites in Arles and St. are my de Provence.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In preparation for our trip to Southern France, I looked for the 10 year old HBO series Rome, and found it on Amazon Prime. It used to be available more places but seems to have disappeared.

It is a good one because the period is just as Julius Caesar is leaving Gaul - which is the time that corresponds to a lot of the ruins in Provence.

I vaguely remember seeing little bits here and there a long time ago but never really got into it. Probably had more to do with scheduling. Now being able to stream on demand makes a big difference.

Very watchable now. Slower paced. Actually a bit of a break from the current super intense Starz productions we've been watching lately.

Very entertaining plot twists and mostly good actors.

We really liked Rome and watched it when it showed on HBO. Lots of good actors, like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #103

This thread is Amazon Prime Movie suggestions.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #104

I've been watching a few of the micro budget independents which are plentiful on Amazon. Some good, some not so good.

If you liked Interstellar, I'd recommend Coherence. Free with Prime.

Coherence (IMDB rating 7.2) explores some of the same topics of Interstellar, but was shot for an entire budget of $50k. No special effects, just thinking and pondering. $50k! Used to be just the raw film would cost more than that. But with digital, the bytes are nearly free.

Extracted is another title for free. Low budget, similar themes of alternate realities. It is just OK.

Like more thinking Sci Fi? Under The Skin is a mid budget gem, but I will warn is disturbing. Stars Scarlette Johanson with a thick accent unless you are from Scotland. (And the movie beautifully showcases Scotland.) You may need close caption for this film. I won't ruin the movie, but near the beginning she picks up random guys. Turns out a few of these guys were real people she was picking up who later agreed to be in the movie and sign a waiver. Lot's of fun, and another way to save budget.

Ex Machina was good and had a similar theme to Under The Skin, although the stories were orthogonal.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
This thread is Amazon Prime Movie suggestions.
Yeah?

The original HBO series Rome is available on Amazon Prime now. And it's a series, not a movie.

Or was your post just a thread bump?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #106

Watched 'Conspiracy' the other night found it interesting, especially considering that most of the movie takes place in one room. It's about the actual meeting where German leaders got together during WWII to agree on a plan to rid their country of what they considered undesirables (Jews). Apparently all notes from the meeting were destroyed except for one participant, the movie is based on these notes.

One series that I watched recently and liked was Alpha House. A comedy created by Doonesbury's Garry Trudeau starring John Goodman about 4 republican senators who share a house in DC. I thought it was very funny but apparently it wasn't too popular, Amazon cancelled it after two seasons.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #107

I watched Room recently. I was really impressed with the young boy's performance. It's one of those movies with scenes that stick in your mind for a long time. I liked it, but my husband didn't.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Little Prince was OK. They padded it out a lot to fit a feature movie length, but kept the original intent - don't forget what it's like to be young and what you see with your heart is as real as what you see with your eyes.
Of course had to go make Mr. Bidnessman an the main bad guy.....
I probably would have enjoyed a 45 minute short that stayed true to the book better.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
One series that I watched recently and liked was Alpha House. A comedy created by Doonesbury's Garry Trudeau starring John Goodman about 4 republican senators who share a house in DC. I thought it was very funny but apparently it wasn't too popular, Amazon cancelled it after two seasons.
Season 1 was fun but Season 2 the characters routinely bickered with nasty humor. I gave up on it before S2 ended.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I watched Room recently. I was really impressed with the young boy's performance. It's one of those movies with scenes that stick in your mind for a long time. I liked it, but my husband didn't.
We both thought it was thought-provoking. After a movie like that I pick something light and bubbly. A movie, I mean...
Old 08-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #111

Mr. Robot Season 1 is on Prime now. Using it to catch up so I can start watching the current season on my DVR.

It's not for everybody (DW leaves the room when I start an episode) but I find it very engrossing. It's said to be the most accurate depiction of computer hacking yet put on the screen, although obviously they still have to time-compress much of it as it wouldn't be very entertaining to watch someone spend a couple of months guessing a password. But it's not like NCIS where it's "tapa-tapa-tap... there! I found those top-secret documents on the internet in five seconds (using my cell phone in the secure area)."
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #112

Was Room free with Amazon Prime or did it cost extra.

It's a recent movie.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
It's said to be the most accurate depiction of computer hacking yet put on the screen,
Even more so than Hackers with Jonny Lee Miller and Angela Jolie? Say it ain't so!

Actually, I really like Mr. Robot, and even though I watched the first season there was so much happening that I will probably re-watch it just to fill in the gaps before I start on season 2. I've got them recorded, just haven't got there yet.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was Room free with Amazon Prime or did it cost extra.

It's a recent movie.

Free on Amazon Prime.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

I just watched A Walk in the Woods with Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson. If you enjoy reading Bill Bryson you will love this.

Free on Amazon Prime
Old 11-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Mr. Robot Season 1 is on Prime now. Using it to catch up so I can start watching the current season on my DVR.
Obvious parallels to The Matrix aside, Mr. Robot is intriguing.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
I just watched A Walk in the Woods with Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson. If you enjoy reading Bill Bryson you will love this.

Free on Amazon Prime
+1

I thought that was funny.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Goliath was a very good serials
Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I think Goliath was a very good serials
I enjoyed it for the most part. The closing couple of shows were a little weak imo. A little too predictable.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

I just watched Citizenfour on Amazon Prime. It's a documentary about Edward Snowden. I thought it was quite interesting, especially since a lot of it was video of Glenn Greenwald's interviews with Snowden around the time everything was breaking.