Amazon Prime movie suggestions

Started watching the 8 part "Goliath" series on Prime. It stars Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt in a courtroom / conspiracy story that pits Thornton's character against his former law firm and a corrupt legal system.

Just started episode 3. I promised DW we wouldn't binge but it's so good!

Other than the vulgarity we enjoyed Goliath also.

Wiener Dog

We watched the movie Wiener Dog a while back. This is what one might call a "dark comedy." I enjoyed it but admit to having a somewhat demented sense of humor. There are a couple disturbing scenes, but if you watch the entire movie, the ending will make your head spin.

Creed has popped up as new on Amazon Prime..an enjoyable watch and a nice continuation to the Rocky storylines..

Season 2 of The Man In The High Castle just became available. Got me some good binge-watching before my trial period ends in 10 days :D

Just saw Manchester by the Sea. About a depressed guy having to adopt his nephew. I didn't like it. The depressed guy was just too depressing, maybe. Critics are raving about it for some reason. YMMV.

Saw Season 1 of The Bridge. Danish police drama series, language is Danish with English subtitles. Liked it a lot.

Just saw Manchester by the Sea. About a depressed guy having to adopt his nephew. I didn't like it. The depressed guy was just too depressing, maybe. Critics are raving about it for some reason. YMMV.
WOW

The movie "Fences". Liked it. It's about a humble African-American family in the 50's in Pittsburgh. Based on a play and directed similarly. Most of the action takes place in and around the family house, often in the back yard. I'm not a Denzel Washington fan but he does a good acting job in this one, IMHO. Good soundtrack, which is used sparingly.

Not a movie but a series. The Expanse season 1 from the SciFy channel, free for Prime subscribers.

Also, another series, "The Americans" - Soviet spy-craft in 1960's America. First 3 seasons available free for Prime subscribers.

Also, another series, "The Americans" - Soviet spy-craft in 1960's America. First 3 seasons available free for Prime subscribers.
This was great. I binge-watched all 3 available seasons while on a free Prime trial. Can't wait for the next season to become available.

Not a movie but a series. The Expanse season 1 from the SciFy channel, free for Prime subscribers.

Umm, 1980's not 1960's. :LOL:

Been unable to stream much from Amazon lately, their network frequently reports as down, or times out with errors. Netflix has not had these problems despite same equipment, same connection.

Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Has anyone watched 'Sneaky Pete' with Giovanni Ribisi?

Very good. Another couple I like on Amazon is The Beginning of Everything and The Man in High Castle. Just started the latter one but better than I thought it would be.

Moving my post from Netflix. ;)

The Kettering Incident - kind of an X-Files Down Under. Nice scenery, metamorphosis requires at least 8 episodes.

Also, under Audible channels - Ponzi Supernova, Bernie speaks! (a tad over-produced) mildly entertaining.

Last edited:
Wolf Hall!

This PBS series has been available on Amazon Video for a while.

Fantastic dramatic production. Watching it is a total immersion in the early English renaissance (Tudor period). The characters in their costumes look like they've stepped right out of the Hans Holbein paintings of the period. The settings are magnificent buildings of the period. Very detailed settings. Fabulous acting. You feel like a fly on the wall during an incredible period of history.

It's about the politics surrounding Henry VIII's break from Rome and establishment of the Church of England and the early Reformation movement. As seen (and intrigued) mostly from the point of view of Thomas Cromwell who rose from a blacksmith's son to king's minister.

Adapted from the 2009 historical novel same name.

Last edited:
Do not, I repeat do not watch "Dirty Grandpa".

I wasted two hours of my life the other day, thinking with DeNiro, the movie can't be that bad, can it? Yes, the movie is that bad. The movie is filled with F-bombs that even sweetheart, Julianne Hough (from Dancing with the Stars) throws out a few.

As charming as DeNiro's character was in "The Intern", his character is totally crude and offensive in "Bad Grandpa".

Do not, I repeat do not watch "Dirty Grandpa".

I wasted two hours of my life the other day, thinking with DeNiro, the movie can't be that bad, can it? Yes, the movie is that bad. The movie is filled with F-bombs that even sweetheart, Julianne Hough (from Dancing with the Stars) throws out a few.

As charming as DeNiro's character was in "The Intern", his character is totally crude and offensive in "Bad Grandpa".

This is my problem with most things labeled as "comedies" ....in fact it's starting to be my problem with the late night shows, on-line political comments and things like that. They think the cruder and meaner and crueler, ie more bulling they are, the more they mock people, that somehow they make their point of view more valid.

This is my problem with most things labeled as "comedies" ....in fact it's starting to be my problem with the late night shows, on-line political comments and things like that. They think the cruder and meaner and crueler, ie more bulling they are, the more they mock people, that somehow they make their point of view more valid.

I've always felt that as far as comedies, being cruder and meaner is kind of a short cut (weaker approach) to get the cheap laughs and effect. I suppose sometimes there's a fine line. Movies like the Austin Powers series does have the crude factor but done with good humor as opposed to finding ways to offend and shock.

Back
Top Bottom