Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This site may give you some information when there are streaming problems.
http://downdetector.com/status/amazo...-instant-video

I had a problem last evening with Amazon and Netflix. Other streams were OK.
Tonight all seems better.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed both Goliath and Sneaky Pete. Sneaky Pete was an unintended 3 day binge fest; now we're eager for season 2!!
MacsNMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Has anyone watched 'Sneaky Pete' with Giovanni Ribisi?

Very good. Another couple I like on Amazon is The Beginning of Everything and The Man in High Castle. Just started the latter one but better than I thought it would be.

Moving my post from Netflix.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Kettering Incident - kind of an X-Files Down Under. Nice scenery, metamorphosis requires at least 8 episodes.

Also, under Audible channels - Ponzi Supernova, Bernie speaks! (a tad over-produced) mildly entertaining.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mr. Church
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
....under Audible channels - Ponzi Supernova, Bernie speaks! (a tad over-produced) mildly entertaining.
A condensed version presented @ Radiolab

Radiolab Presents: Ponzi Supernova - Radiolab
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Wolf Hall!

This PBS series has been available on Amazon Video for a while.

Fantastic dramatic production. Watching it is a total immersion in the early English renaissance (Tudor period). The characters in their costumes look like they've stepped right out of the Hans Holbein paintings of the period. The settings are magnificent buildings of the period. Very detailed settings. Fabulous acting. You feel like a fly on the wall during an incredible period of history.

It's about the politics surrounding Henry VIII's break from Rome and establishment of the Church of England and the early Reformation movement. As seen (and intrigued) mostly from the point of view of Thomas Cromwell who rose from a blacksmith's son to king's minister.

Adapted from the 2009 historical novel same name.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Do not, I repeat do not watch "Dirty Grandpa".

I wasted two hours of my life the other day, thinking with DeNiro, the movie can't be that bad, can it? Yes, the movie is that bad. The movie is filled with F-bombs that even sweetheart, Julianne Hough (from Dancing with the Stars) throws out a few.

As charming as DeNiro's character was in "The Intern", his character is totally crude and offensive in "Bad Grandpa".
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Do not, I repeat do not watch "Dirty Grandpa".

I wasted two hours of my life the other day, thinking with DeNiro, the movie can't be that bad, can it? Yes, the movie is that bad. The movie is filled with F-bombs that even sweetheart, Julianne Hough (from Dancing with the Stars) throws out a few.

As charming as DeNiro's character was in "The Intern", his character is totally crude and offensive in "Bad Grandpa".
This is my problem with most things labeled as "comedies" ....in fact it's starting to be my problem with the late night shows, on-line political comments and things like that. They think the cruder and meaner and crueler, ie more bulling they are, the more they mock people, that somehow they make their point of view more valid.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is my problem with most things labeled as "comedies" ....in fact it's starting to be my problem with the late night shows, on-line political comments and things like that. They think the cruder and meaner and crueler, ie more bulling they are, the more they mock people, that somehow they make their point of view more valid.
I've always felt that as far as comedies, being cruder and meaner is kind of a short cut (weaker approach) to get the cheap laughs and effect. I suppose sometimes there's a fine line. Movies like the Austin Powers series does have the crude factor but done with good humor as opposed to finding ways to offend and shock.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #151

I must agree; bathroom humor and crude language is a lazy way to get a laugh from the sophomoric audience that spends the most money on going to the movies. I turned off "Bridesmaids" on the plane when the "joke" was having a bunch of women have sudden diarrhea in the bathroom sink.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wolf Hall!

This PBS series has been available on Amazon Video for a while.
That was an excellent production. If I recall right, it only ran 2 seasons. Does Amazon show more?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #153

Just watched "Anthropoid," a new item to Amazon. A movie about Czechoslovkia during the Nazi occupation. Resistance fighters are given the assignment of assassinating one of the chief architects of the "Final Solution." Based on actual events. Slow at the beginning, but builds up at the end.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Amazon has a new show called Loch Ness--a present-day murder mystery set in duh, Scotland--that started three weeks ago. There is a new episode every Monday. Really enjoying it.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Amazon has a new show called Loch Ness--a present-day murder mystery set in duh, Scotland--that started three weeks ago. There is a new episode every Monday. Really enjoying it.

We are watching it on Acorn and really enjoying it. The scenery is wonderful.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The movie "The Dressmaker". Very entertaining.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That was an excellent production. If I recall right, it only ran 2 seasons. Does Amazon show more?
I think it was just the six episodes. There should have been another set involving Anne of Cleves and the eventual disgrace of Thomas Cromwell as this was covered in the books, but I don't think it's happening.

Well - maybe -
Quote:
The Mirror and the Light is an upcoming historical novel by Hilary Mantel, the final part of a planned trilogy charting the rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell, the powerful minister in the court of King Henry VIII.[1][2]

The Mirror and the Light is expected to cover the last four years of Cromwell's life, from the execution of Anne Boleyn (1536) to Cromwell's execution (1540).
Old 07-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

We just started watching the series "The Night Messenger Manager". It is loosely based on a John Le Carre novel.

Starts out with a British hotel manager in an upscale establishment and a pretty woman who is the girl friend of a notorious wealth Egyptian. She is privy to some secrets of a British arms merchant.

Note: Corrected the title above.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We just started watching the series "The Night Messenger". It is loosely based on a Johe Lecarre novel.

Starts out with a British hotel manager in an upscale establishment and a pretty woman who is the girl friend of a notorious wealth Egyptian. She is privy to some secrets of a British arms merchant.
I think you meant "The Night Manager". Thanks for the suggestion - I love Le Carre.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #160

Just saw A Man Called Ove about a cantankerous old man who has been laid off from work, and now roams around his neighborhood looking for HOA rules violations to enforce. It's in the Swedish language and has English subtitles. I liked this movie. The main character is acted well, and the story is interesting. There are flashbacks to events in his life throughout the movie. One word of warning: there are three different occurrences in this movie of the viewer being slapped in the face with political correctness, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, as though someone decided to squeeze the scenes in, eve though they do nothing for the plot.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote