Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are watching the new season of Bosch as well. It is great!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We are watching the new season of Bosch as well. It is great!
I'm on the wait list for some of the Bosch series books in the library. Is this a frenzy or what? It's surprising to see some of these from the late 90's so sought after. Will have to content myself with the movies for now.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to the second season of Catastrophe, due April 8.

Though I don't know if it will be as fun with baby.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm on the wait list for some of the Bosch series books in the library. Is this a frenzy or what? It's surprising to see some of these from the late 90's so sought after. Will have to content myself with the movies for now.

The Lincoln Lawyer ones are good too of the wait list is shorter. There was also a great movie based on them by the same name.
I love his books, and was pleased the series captures some of the same feel.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
If you haven't seen it already, Poldark is very good. We are watching season two of Bosch. That's also a great show.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Also watching Poldqrk and really enjoying it. Beautiful cinematography. There is scenery, and more scenery....
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Also watching Poldqrk and really enjoying it. Beautiful cinematography. There is scenery, and more scenery....

Yes, I know what you mean. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Amazon has a number of mood... romantic fireplaces, aquarium and "sleep" segments. Some run for hours for dozing off naps.
In search, look for "aquarium", "box fan", "rotary fan", "candles", "fireplace", "oceans", "birds"... and like that.

Now... one I'd like to specially recommend... "Loons"... a superb video that has incredibly great photography, and a full history and life stream of what is arguably the most popular subject of bird lovers. As a self appointed "expert" on loons, I learned a great deal. Brings back wonderful memories of canoe trips on the Boundary Waters, and Adirondak Lakes.

The other excellent video, is "hummingbirds". For anyone who has enjoyed this tiny critter, an absolute "must". Didja know that a hummingbird flaps his wings from 30 to 50 times per second?... or that his heart beats 1000+ times in a minute?... or that some fly 500 miles without rest all the way across the Gulf of Mexico?

All of the above are available on "Prime".
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We are running through "Falling Skies"

It's si-fi about alien invasion of earth, has 5 seasons and is entertaining.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #69

Not sure if Seize the Day with Robbin Williams (Seize the Day (1986) - IMDb) has been mentioned already but I watched it last night and thought it was relevant to the discussions we often see here.

I saw what could've been my own reflection when I went through a bad divorce a few years ago. At that time I was one job away from losing everything I had worked so hard for. Of course, the movie is a bit exaggerated and I kept mumbling 'take it' when he had the opportunity to take on work that was less paying than he wanted/needed.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #70

Watched "Two Wrongs" last night. Very good and made me think what would I do if in that situation.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

This might be helpful:

18 best Amazon Prime Video TV shows right now

and a decision helper:

Netflix vs Amazon: Which video streaming service deserves your cash?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
These are great times. IMO, Netflix + Amazon for $200 per year or so is high value return for just $200. The same can be said for having just one service. Would be great if other choices could be this way, where you can afford the top two picks, for low realtive cost.

How about the latest iphone and samsung for $500 hard cash? Can't get that, so I'll be happy and content with Netflix + Amazon.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This looks like a good link to check out. Thanks.

We are now getting swamped by too many possibilities to view. And I think of us as being very selective ... but maybe not selective enough?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This looks like a good link to check out. Thanks.

We are now getting swamped by too many possibilities to view. And I think of us as being very selective ... but maybe not selective enough?
Oh, but that's a good thing! Stuff one might have never even found before. It's like a collective treasure hunt.

I'll mention (again) the Thermapen as an example. This is true, just last week: I went to the butcher shop on an especially nice day and had mine with me (no, I don't carry it around all the time, I bet I wouldn't be allowed on an airplane, but I had a reason). I showed it to the guy (the butcher) and he was blown away by it! And I got me one nice juicy steak picked out for me in return. What's not to like?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Just watched "Meru" about the first ascent of the shark's fin peak by Conrad Anker and company. From the linked article-quote by Jimmy Chin, one of the climbers on the trip: "What’s the movie really about?
Ultimately, you discover that the film is about loyalty and obsession and friendship. My goal from the beginning was to make a film that told a powerful story about universal ideas that people that could relate to. Climbing is an incredible vehicle to tell that story."
You can also watch a trailer of the movie at this link. Highly recommend it, and I am a middle aged female-not the demographic that typically enjoys a "climbing" film, but the film is so much more than that!
Conquering Meru, the “Anti-Everest” | Outside Online
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

‘Doctor Who’ Heading to Amazon Prime Under Exclusive BBC Pact | Variety
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #77

"The War", a Ken Burns series.

It's a documentary about the effects of WWII on people in four towns in the U.S. A bit slow in some places but the overall effort is interesting to me. Just the logistics of WWII is astonishing.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

"The War" is excellent. I first watched it on DVD with my mom, who had several first-hand stories about those years (three of her older brothers served in Europe).

It pairs well with "The Roosevelts", released several years later.

And appropriate for this time of year from Burns: "Baseball".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

oops--wrong streaming service
Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching "The World at War" from the 70's. I first watched it in the 80's I believe, on PBS. Was astounded at how superficial our Us public education was about World War II.
Highly recommend this series--Laurence Olivier is the narrator--makes it so mesmerizing to listen to, with subtitles of course!
So glad Amazon Prime has this series. From the comments section, it appears that they screwed up initially in getting all the episodes "uploaded", but they seem to be all there now.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote