Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this story I heard on the local news. I heard mention of Netflix getting together with the NFL to stream games starting this fall. I only caught the last half so I don't have any details. May be something in the paper tomorrow. I know that last fall my grandson (ultimate computer geek) told me how to stream games that were blacked out. Sure enough it worked but the video feed was generally bad. I picked up those games, generally the Tampa Bay Buccs, through Googling P2P4U or First Row Sports. I'm not sure how this is done and maybe it's not legal but if Netflix would come on board, the feed would certainly be better. Clue me in!
Don't think netflix is coming this season, but act fast on this, the hot deal.

Pre-Order Madden NFL 25th Anniversary Edition get FREE NFL Sunday Ticket! | Walmart Coupons and Price Match Deals

Make sure you get the right edition. Then, resell the game minus the code on the aftermarket (or keep it if you like madden).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have been too lazy to try to figure out which one really has more of the stuff I like to watch (mostly British series). But that's a good idea to make the comparison!

I definitely make use of Prime's free delivery, so the question would be: is there content on Netflix that's not on Amazon that I can't live without?

Today's happy discovery: Hulu has all the old Inspector Morse episodes!
Netflix only has them on DVD (not streaming), and they're not free on Amazon.
I don't mind the commercials on Hulu...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
...And I'm in rural Appalachia, and haven't had a single one of those issues either! It's true that orders over $25 come free (eventually) anyway, but 2 day shipping starts to get really nice once you've had it.
+1 and we are in a very rural area as well.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP: I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. FWIW, we end up using Netflix constantly for video and rarely use Amazon Prime. Part of it is that most of the Amazon streamed videos are pay and not free. In that way, Amazon is more like Itunes than Netflix. It does have some free stuff but I find it hard to find videos on Amazon and don't really know if it has things that netflix doesn't have. I just find Netflix easier to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
With Amazon Prime, your order may be shipped via different (substandard) carriers. Too many lost packages, noisy deliveries at odd hours of the night, and boxes left in the rain for my preferences. It's not possible to sign up for streaming alone, that is, keep normal delivery, which for orders over $25 is free anyhow if you allow a possible few extra days for delivery.
Well, around here Amazon Prime orders are delivered by UPS, I've never had a lost package or had one delivered at odd hours or had boxes left in the rain.... Deliveries are the same way after I got Prime as before.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
....I have a 3 month coupon to Netflix from the Chromecast I bought, but we have not activated it yet. NF definitely has a better selection, but there is lots on prime (and cable) too.
How do you like Chromecast? I have one backordered.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Well, around here Amazon Prime orders are delivered by UPS, I've never had a lost package or had one delivered at odd hours or had boxes left in the rain.... Deliveries are the same way after I got Prime as before.
Sounds like Prime's delivery service depends on area. I requested Amazon ship via UPS, but they claimed they had no way to do that. I reported the troubles with the substandard, non-UPS delivery service employed for Prime in my area, but except for credits for lost packages, that resulted in no improvement. I ended up cancelling Prime. I'd probably have kept the streaming if that could be had without the problematic Prime shipping, but Amazon refused to unbundle the two.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have been too lazy to try to figure out which one really has more of the stuff I like to watch (mostly British series). But that's a good idea to make the comparison!

I definitely make use of Prime's free delivery, so the question would be: is there content on Netflix that's not on Amazon that I can't live without?

Today's happy discovery: Hulu has all the old Inspector Morse episodes!
Netflix only has them on DVD (not streaming), and they're not free on Amazon.
I don't mind the commercials on Hulu...

+1 I have both as well.

I'm also a big fan of British series. If you like Morse, you might like Midsomer Murders on Netflix. Recently discovered it and am enjoying it very much. Also enjoyed Murder in Suburbia on Netflix.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

As far as the common thread of it being hard to find free content on Prime streaming, I've never had an issue. There's the option to only show prime eligible content both on the 360 and PS3, which are my two viewing methods of choice, and I imagine there are on others
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Shamefully, its still in the box. I have two main screens (family room plasma and rec room projector) that both have multiple streaming devices attached. My plans for it are to use it on our "sick tv" (a 22" LCD w/dvd player which we move into bedrooms when the kids get sick) and in hotels. I bought a highly portable travel router to pair with it that should be arriving today.

When I get a few minutes I do want to play with the "casting" feature. My machines are a $249 chromebook and dated Macbook pro. I am not sure either have the horsepower to cast hulu or the like, but that would be awesome. I will update once I get some play time.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Either one is less than $10 a month. Which is really impressive compared to the outrageous fees of Cable TV.

Just try both for a while, and see what goes... It's really a matter of personal preference and personal circumstances... In our case, we settled on... using both!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The youtube app works perfect with both my nexus 7 and with my chromebook. Hulu "casted" from the chromebook was a little choppy. I haven't had a chance to try it with a real computer. But the key issue is the free hulu can be technologically cast to the tv, and can't yet be blocked by hulu itself.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for all the advice. We will probably stay with Netflix and cancel the Prime. I have been using the Amazon free shipping over $25.00 when it's available for many years and can still live with that. Netflix has a much better interface on my TV, too.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote