Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
At least as long as they still employ humans to answer the phones...
That's good

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a big Amazon shopper myself. Guess nothings that important that I need to pay $75 to get it to me faster. I'll stick with sloooooow for now.
However, I can see where for some it would be beneficial...just not me.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Administrator

I am pretty pleased with Amazon's free shipping. After all, it is free so I don't expect it to be fast as well.

I ordered a recumbent exercycle (over 100 pounds in a bulky, awkward package) from Amazon on the 17th of February and was told it would be delivered on the 24th-28th. It wasn't shipped for at least half a week, and it arrived in perfect condition on the 28th. It was hard to wait, but on something this big and heavy I saved quite a bit of $$$ by going for the free shipping.

A great "perk" that Amazon offers to anyone is a one month free trial of Prime. At least I think they are still offering it. I would have gone for it in order to get faster free shipping, but I think you can only sign up for that once a year and it hasn't been long enough yet for me to sign up again. Despite the convenience I discovered that I'm not willing to pay for Prime at this time, because I just don't order enough to make it worthwhile.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I ordered a couple of things from Amazon using their Free Super Saver shipping (one item would have costed over $40 just for standard shipping). I ordered it on 3/4 and as of now, the items haven't even left their warehouse yet. What happened to Amazon's shipping? They used to be so fast, even with free shipping. Looking on the internet, it seems I'm not alone as other customers are irate about their new free shipping strategy.
You're not getting what you paid for?

(Faster methods ARE available.)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #25

As far as "free shipping" goes, what's even been worse is the way eBay has been strong-arming sellers into offering free shipping on everything. Some stuff is quite costly to ship relative to its value.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #26

I didn't know that, but I did just buy a painting from an artist who offered free shipping. It makes the deal more attractive to the buyers or did me, at least.
Everybody is struggling: the artist to sell, the buyer who wants to save, ebays sales are probably down, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As far as "free shipping" goes, what's even been worse is the way eBay has been strong-arming sellers into offering free shipping on everything. Some stuff is quite costly to ship relative to its value.
For me personally, I wish Amazon would do this. I usually sort by 'free shipping' (well, it's not 'free', it's included in the pricing model overall) because it makes comparison shopping easier. Amazon doesn't seem to let you sort by "total price with shipping", so I get these silly $0.99 products with $15.99 shipping, and then I have to compare that to the product for $12.99 with 'free shipping' that drops down to page three.

If Amazon would let you sort by "total price with shipping", that would be fine too. I just want easy transparency. You are going to pay that shipping one way or the other. TANSTAAFL.

-ERD50
Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
You're not getting what you paid for?
It really is all a matter of perspective. Amazon used to be so good with free/standard shipping. The product would arrive usually before the estimated date. Now it seems like the product would usually arrive at or after the estimated date. I guess it's like going to a car lot. You can go cheap (who needs an A/C or 4 doors in a car anyway?) or pay more for better service.

This reminds me of Service Merchandise. Remember that place? There wasn't a premium rate for them. Their business model was you go to the store, select the product you want (either by paper slip) or if you were daring try their computer (using computers to buy stuff was novel at that time). Then you wait and wait for the stuff to come up from their basement warehouse onto the conveyor belt where your named would be called. You'd select the stuff, and wait for about an hour or so (if it was busy) but the savings were passed on to you.

I remember one Christmastime (last time I ever went to a Service Merchandise) it took forever for stuff. This elderly man was steamed so much you could boil an egg at the back of his neck . Can't blame him though.

Kind of like getting the cheapseats at a concert (did that before, and the concert was very pleasant). You do get what you pay for.

The pleasant surprise of Amazon shipping fast for even free shipping may be over though.

It will be interesting to see if Amazon's new approach will serve them well or not.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #29

I noticed this the last time, it seemed to be held a few days but since the warehouse is in the same time I am in, I got it the next day after I got my tracking number.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I just got an email for one of my orders. Shows product sent, includes tracking number, expected delivery date is tomorrow. So, if the product arrives tomorrow, the time really wasn't that long of a wait (only 5 days wait to save $43 on shipping).

Maybe it's just the way they notify their customers that is different, but actual time difference not that much.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had Amazon Prime for quite a while now, but family and friends who don't and shop their regularly haven't had any complaints, and this comes from me being there when the items arrived.

Amazon Prime has more than paid for itself in saving me gas, taxes, and the general lower cost of items. Since I typically order books or movies that have release dates that would leave me waiting weeks before I hit the $25 minimum, it'd make more sense to run up to the nearest store to buy them, or pay the 75$ to have each item shipped to me individually. The money spent is more than worth the time I'd spend waiting.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

$75 a year is actually quite cheap. Simple math comes out to $6.25 per month.

That said, I'm tracking the heavier package that I received the notify of sent today. Does look like the package will arrive tomorrow which not bad at all. 50lb package, free shipping in 5 days.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It varies. I use the free shipping all but one time out of probably a hundred orders. Occasionally an item gets delayed, it's been rare.

I often get the product in 1, 2 or 3 days, very seldom does it take 4 or 5, almost never longer. I consider the $75 for Prime a waste. I rarely ever need anything faster than a few days, but of course, each person has to decide that for themselves.
Same here. My Free Super Shipping orders normally go out the door within 48 hours and I have always gotten them within the estimated timeframe. If I had to have next day or second day service, I'd pay for it. Free is good.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon Prime-Worthwhile

Have been an Amazon Prime member for several years. It more than pays for itself, with the number of purchases we make. I often need or want items within 1-2 days and would have had to pay MUCH more the $75 in a year for fast shipping. The Prime membership is well worth it to our family.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #35

I'm currently in the "Shipping Soon" limbo for an item I ordered Saturday afternoon (3/5). The delivery estimate is 3/10-3/15. I chose the free shipping because I'm cheap/frugal and I'm mature enough to wait......

But I'm also like a big kid and this is my birthday present that I bought with birthday money from my MIL and an Amazon gift card from my son so I keep checking my Amazon account to see if it's shipped yet and then I'll be tracking it as soon as I get a tracking number. The tracking is half the fun.

Oh, oh, the Wells Fargo wagon is a comin' down the street....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I sell on ebay and the only time I offer free shipping is Christmas . Since ebay has changed the format it is not obvious that the shipping is free . Free shipping does not increase my sales and it means more money in Ebay's pocket via fees . Plus I only charge actual shipping so most of my items ship under $5.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #37

I live about 50 miles from the Fernley, Nevada shipping center. My packages almost always arrive in just a couple of days. Unless, they don't have something then it comes from Kentucky or some such place. Because of the proximity, we use Amazon a lot and never noticed a delay in shipping. Maybe that's also due to the proximity. Possibly they pick the items and ship them since they are delivered from the UPS sorting facility in Reno.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I tried Prime and liked it except for one thing- UPS does the delivery, and we have no concierge, so if I am not home I get a delivery notice and have to travel across town to pick it up.

So after my trial I let it lapse. If I lived in a concierge building I would definitely buy Prime. OTOH most of what I buy with Super Saver Free comes by USPS, and he has a key to come into the lobby.

Ha
Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm currently in the "Shipping Soon" limbo for an item I ordered Saturday afternoon (3/5). The delivery estimate is 3/10-3/15. I chose the free shipping because I'm cheap/frugal and I'm mature enough to wait......
Got the email this morning that it shipped yesterday and I should expect delivery tomorrow, which was the earliest date of the estimated delivery when I ordered it.

It's a pressure cooker. Growing up I always had one and got one as a wedding present and used it all the time until microwaves became popular. I kept it and still used it until I couldn't get parts easily, before the internet. My new one is different than the old style and it gets great reviews on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Futura by Hawkins Hard Anodized 6.0 Litre Pressure Cooker from Hawkins: Kitchen & Dining

Since I ordered it I've found some great recipes online and also borrowed books from the library to get some ideas. First thing will be my favorite chicken vegetable soup.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
It's a pressure cooker. Growing up I always had one and got one as a wedding present and used it all the time until microwaves became popular. I kept it and still used it until I couldn't get parts easily, before the internet. My new one is different than the old style and it gets great reviews on Amazon.
So, another dedicated pressure cooking enthusiast! How do you use it?

I have had a pressure cooker for maybe 25 years. Bought it when married, and it went with me afterward. It's a 6 qt.stainless, apparently indestructible, and I use it usually twice a week anyway. I mostly cook meat, then add it to my dinners and lunches. I feel that it saves me time and money, and allows me to eat a more healthy diet.

I lube the gasket with coconut oil, and it is still in good shape.

I have a great French style recipe book that some guy in Alaska wrote. It was out of print, so I borrowed it from a friend, copied it and had it ring bound. Right now it is still packed in my storeroom so I have to retrieve it.

Ha