Amazon's Slow Free Super Shipping

Well, I went ahead and went for the Amazon Prime free trial. I'll probably end up keeping that subscription when the trial is up. I've been "Amazoning" enough this year to make it worthwhile.

SS shipping has always been fast for me. I enjoy finding fillers to bring total to $25. Oil filters are good examples OTOH SS items are usually more.

Well, I went ahead and went for the Amazon Prime free trial. I'll probably end up keeping that subscription when the trial is up. I've been "Amazoning" enough this year to make it worthwhile.
Started Amazon Prime 3 years ago. The free 2-day shipping sure helped when we were traveling a lot. As each year went by more and more stuff we needed became available on Amazon, and they improved their shipping packaging too, so we felt more comfortable buying some of the expensive items too. Quite a few house items we got from Amazon - like our 100 pound glass TV-stand that we had shipped overnight for $3.99 (that's the overnight upgrade) and half expect to find shattered, but it came in perfect condition!

We love it.

Audrey

This is Amazon's way of motivating you to subscribe to Amazon Prime, a yearly fee based service that ships more promptly and gives the impression you are getting 2 day delivery.
Um - you really do get it in 2 days! At least I always do. I can't think of one that has taken longer unless they state on the item page to allow extra time and those are rare and even those I think I've still gotten in 2 days. It must depend on sections of the US.

SS shipping has always been fast for me. I enjoy finding fillers to bring total to $25. Oil filters are good examples OTOH SS items are usually more.

I'm in the same camp as T-Al. I don't understand what makes the 'prime' 'worthwhile'? I get fast shipping w/o it (using 'fillers' as required to hit $25)

-ERD50

I travel. So 2 days shipping under Prime is very convenient.

Order it and forget it, just have it delivered in 2 days. The alternative is to order it and track it and ask..will I be home when the package arrives?

I travel. So 2 days shipping under Prime is very convenient.

Order it and forget it, just have it delivered in 2 days. The alternative is to order it and track it and ask..will I be home when the package arrives?

Got it. If you regularly need it guaranteed in 2 days, I suppose it makes sense. Seems like a small niche to me though.

-ERD50

Um - you really do get it in 2 days! At least I always do. I can't think of one that has taken longer unless they state on the item page to allow extra time and those are rare and even those I think I've still gotten in 2 days. It must depend on sections of the US.
We use it, but with decreasing frequency. It allows for several different "ship to" addresses, so my kids use it (and reimburse me of course). Seems a fair number of intended purchases require that 1 or 2 days of "extra processing time", which moves effective delivery to 3 or 4 days, and in more than one of those cases, the package postmark showed it really was just longer shipping time.

I think this is a very clever marketing strategy and motivates the consumer to default to Amazon. It also sets a marketplace standard for delivery that other businesses find it difficult to meet and Amazon regularly does not meet as well, despite the yearly fee. It effectively disguises part of the shipping cost. Demanding or higher volume consumers may see this as an inexpensive or even cost effective benefit.

I started Amazon Prime 3 years ago. I have been buying more and more from Amazon. I still work, so it's a big time saver for me to order from Amazon than going out to shop, plus I know I will get the ordered items in two days, so it is fast enough for someone as impatient as me. (I have done 1 day by paying the extra $3.99 but only a couple of times...)

I love it (and am a proud stock holder of AMZN!)

I don't have Amazon Prime but for the first time I am starting to wonder if I should consider it. I ordered a case and armband for my new iPhone on Friday (May 6th) with free Supersaver shipping. My order was shipped on May 7th, and it is scheduled for delivery via USPS on May 18th. That seems a bit longer than I had expected. :p

Amazon prime now also offers free streaming videos, kind of like a smaller netflix with 5,000 videos now available.

One thing that prime gets you is 1 day delivery for $3.99 and Saturday delivery for the same price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom