Amazon's Tablet

Is that the case for this new tablet? For the Kindle reader, yes, the non-ad versions cost more but I didn't see where the Fire tablet was a "Special Offers (ads)" product.
Perhaps not. I think I had heard it was earlier but that might have been misinformation.

Even so... +$40 is still lower cost than most alternatives.

Hopefully it creates a price war! :dance:

Just got a Toshiba thrive here. So far, so good. $400 though. Replaced a dead notebook. Great for surfing & reading.

Hopefully it creates a price war!
Maybe, but I don't think anybody at Apple is losing sleep over this thing. With 93% of all pad users owning an iPad, and 94% of potential buyers are in the market for an iPad, I think it comes down to the fact that iPads define pads and everybody else is just trying to get a toe in the water. Some cheapskates will buy just because they're cheap, but Apple is the king of this stuff.

Maybe, but I don't think anybody at Apple is losing sleep over this thing. With 93% of all pad users owning an iPad, and 94% of potential buyers are in the market for an iPad, I think it comes down to the fact that iPads define pads and everybody else is just trying to get a toe in the water. Some cheapskates will buy just because they're cheap, but Apple is the king of this stuff.

I think they have a better product today. But there will be a lot of competition.

Their competitors will have to produce quality product or they will fail.

I'm sticking with my Kindle, I only use it for reading and I prefer it's larger screen.

That's me cheap and proud of it . I just ordered one !:):)

Please let us know how it turns out. I am considering one myself.

Did you order a Kindle Fire or a Kindle Touch?

Please let us know how it turns out. I am considering one myself.

Did you order a Kindle Fire or a Kindle Touch?

The Kindle fire . I do have a Nook but I wanted a combo reader & tablet . I'll probably sell the nook once the Kindle fire arrives .

I have a Kindle and ordered the Fire today. My 3 year grandson will love to have me read to him the children's books, in color. I can play Angry Birds whenever and wherever, and watch movies on the long flight to Hawaii. I love Amazon. I didn't even care how it compared to Apple, it does what I want for 200 bucks, no tax, no freight.

I ordered a Fire for DW. She loves the Kindle I gave her last year and I suspect she'll love the Fire even more - but either way I end up with my own Kindle!

I don't think Apple competitors can do anything more than nibble at the edges of the market without coming out with a better product. Just cheap won't get them far. Anticipating what web pages will be requested next is not a very interesting idea. I've been hoping Amazon would give us a tablet with color E-ink.

I have a Kindle and ordered the Fire today. My 3 year grandson will love to have me read to him the children's books, in color. I can play Angry Birds whenever and wherever, and watch movies on the long flight to Hawaii. I love Amazon. I didn't even care how it compared to Apple, it does what I want for 200 bucks, no tax, no freight.
From what I've read so far, most or all of your content (movies, songs, books) will be stored in the "cloud" meaning Amazon's server farm and accessed via WiFi. With only 8GB of storage you won't be able to watch or store very many movies. On an airplane without WiFi that would limit what you could watch. That seems to be Amazon's plan, store all your content on their servers which must be purchased at Amazon. And oh, only 5GB of storage is free. I need to see more reviews before I'm sold. :cool:

Moemg said:
I'll probably sell the nook once the Kindle fire arrives .

EReaders should start appearing at garage sales any time now.

Apple has put many features into their product and are on the 2nd gen.

But I think the feature set needed really depends on the needs of the customer. The other side of that debate: "Why pay for something one does not need?"

Apple rolled out iCloud earlier this year.

Both companies use their products to sell other services.

One big issue will be opening up the platform for developers and content from other providers. I am sure AMZN will try to attract application developers. Since the OS is Android, they will probably try to leverage its popularity and software developer base.

I noticed that public libraries are now able to loan books using the Kindle format.

AMZN will probably use their ebusiness, store platform and cloud offering to enable any content provider to sell content and provide a good experience.

But... those two companies are different and compete in certain areas... and not in other areas. There is some overlap but also many many differences.

In some ways, AMZN has a much larger advantage for selling other goods and services. They have the first mover advantage in broad delivery of content and goods... even their cloud offering is several years ahead of apple.

IMO - Competition is GOOOOOOOOOD....... No matter what product you like, we all win!!!

Last edited:
I am really thinking about this for DD for Christmas. Am I correct that no monthly fees would be needed if one uses it off the wireless router at home?

Will one be able to surf the web like with the iPad? That to me would be the biggie.

Back
Top Bottom