Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
If I remember the rules correctly, the other nations' flag should be only displayed in a presence of US flag, but in a separate pole that is somewhat shorter than the one where the US flag is. In my area, however, some people show second flag in the same pole below US flag, usually Norwegian or Swedish flag.

I have actually been a US citizen only for 9 years, but after moving here never felt a need to display any other flag than Stars and Stripes. And yes, it is flying today!

A little off on your thinking... (at least I think you are)

If you are displaying two nation's flags, they are supposed to be the same size and at the same height... you are not supposed to give either nation a more prominent location....

When you display a STATE flag with the US flag, it is supposed to be smaller than the US flag. It can be displayed under the US flag or on a separate pole at the same height. The only excpetion is Texas who can have a flag the same size as the US flag (part of the agreement when we became a state IIRC)...

Since this is from memory, I could be wrong...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I have a flag on a pole on the side of my house. Not a big one, but it is good...

Today I saw a neighbor who had a large number of flags in their front yard... maybe in the 50 to 75 number range... not sure why as I was just driving by... I am sure it has to do with 9/11 as they were not there last Friday...

Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
U R correct:

"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."

Reference: USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
A little off on your thinking... (at least I think you are)

If you are displaying two nation's flags, they are supposed to be the same size and at the same height... you are not supposed to give either nation a more prominent location....

When you display a STATE flag with the US flag, it is supposed to be smaller than the US flag. It can be displayed under the US flag or on a separate pole at the same height. The only excpetion is Texas who can have a flag the same size as the US flag (part of the agreement when we became a state IIRC)...

Quoting myself.....

I took a look and did not find anything that said Texas could be different... see how they brainwash us
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
My flag is very special to me as it was flown on Mount Suribachi, compliments of my SIL, career Marine top sergeant. I've loaned it to various military groups in this area for special occassions and after they hear about it's history, you would not believe the reverence it gets. Still a lot of WWII vets in this area.
Wow! Very impressive!

Our flag is usually flying - attached to the pole on the house. Take it down only for really bad weather (ie Hurricane Irene).
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I judge a man by whether he was flying the flag on 9/10/2001.
So, if someone decided to start flying a flag after 9/11, you are going to judge them? On what? Is this a patritotism quiz?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I judge a man by whether he was flying the flag on 9/10/2001.
Thank you.

We started the habit in late 2000 (after moving into this house) because our daughter thought it was a good idea.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Does anyone ever fly other nations' flags?
Based on my years in Brazil, and in memory of my Brazilian friends, I also fly the Brazilian flag on September 7th (their equivalent of July 4th).
We fly a Mongolian full size flag on Mongolian Independence Day each summer and always send a picture to our friends there. No one can see our flags at our house but us, so don't tell the flag police that we run it up the same pole in place of the US flag for that day.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't people wave the flag with enthusiasm for things like when you win the World Cup?
Sorry for this very late answer, but I am not feeling too well lately. Yes, sports is the only real ocassion when showing the flag isn´t looked as a sign of being a hardcore reactionary.