Join Early Retirement Today

American Flag Q
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
American Flag Q

Will you be displaying your American Flag on Sunday 9/11 or will you choose to skip it?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Might want to ask a mod to edit your Title

I'm afraid to answer! -ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Mine flies from a 22 ft. high flagpole, and is visible 24/7, floodlighted at night.

As always, installing that flagpole was the first thing done when we moved to this house. Strong patriotic/military tradition in my family.

I love seeing the flag displayed, even if it's just on a few holidays a year. It's interesting to note the differences in how many flags you see in different parts of the country. Take a drive through rural Maine some time, and you might be amazed at how many flags you see flying outside the houses, all year long.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Take a drive through rural Maine some time, and you might be amazed at how many flags you see flying outside the houses, all year long.
Being from New England I can tell you that folks from Maine are a little on the slow side, not in terms of intelligence but at the pace they do things. They probably put up the flag for Memorial Day and by the time they are ready to take it down the next Memorial Day is just around the corner.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have an America flag mounted at a 45 degree angle on the corner of the railing of my front porch. It hangs fully open at all times. It is there, 24/7 anytime the temperature is above freezing. For freezing weather, I place a miniature flag inside the front window in a narrow vase.

I also have 2 pink flamingoes in the little garden near my front curved steps.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Will you be displaying your American Flag on Sunday 9/11 or will you choose to skip it?
Got it out there now..Lots of flags flying in this area..Mostly American too!!
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Mine flies every day - attached to my workshop where I can see it best.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mine flies from a 22 ft. high flagpole, and is visible 24/7, floodlighted at night.

Yeah baby! That's the spirit!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my flag on my office desk since I live in tiny apartment. But my friend has his flag on front of his house mounted on the facade 24/7 365.

I remember after 9/11 people had flags mounted on their car windows. It looked like a diplomat's car with flags on both side of the window. But I don't see that anymore.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

Tomorrow would have been a special day to fly the flag. Not going to be able to do it because we are leaving on a little trip early in the morning. My flag is very special to me as it was flown on Mount Suribachi, compliments of my SIL, career Marine top sergeant. So, I'll have to skip tomorrow. I've loaned it to various military groups in this area for special occassions and after they hear about it's history, you would not believe the reverence it gets. Still a lot of WWII vets in this area.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely flying the flag tomorrow, but it is up 24/7 unless the weather is poor.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My flag is out today--it's always a good day to fly the flag. But, I'm a little bit ambivalent about "the day." I don't make a special effort to commemorate Dec 7, and 9/11 is a bit like that in my view. Loss, heroism, the beginning of a long and worthwhile struggle.
I suppose if we're going to remember those we lost on 9/11 and in the subsequent efforts to reduce the chance of another event, the best date we've got is 9/11. There won't be any culminating moment, no surrender signings or welcome home parades, no VE or VJ day, in the present struggle. That's just the way it's gonna be.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

Does anyone ever fly other nations' flags?
Based on my years in Brazil, and in memory of my Brazilian friends, I also fly the Brazilian flag on September 7th (their equivalent of July 4th).
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Based on my years in Brazil, and in memory of my Brazilian friends, I also fly the Brazilian flag on September 7th (their equivalent of July 4th).
There are a lot of people in Spain that consider the display of our flag a sign of being a bigot reactionary, or, in any case, a hard line conservative...... Such nonsense.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Does the Texas flag count?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
There are a lot of people in Spain that consider the display of our flag a sign of being a bigot reactionary, or, in any case, a hard line conservative...... Such nonsense.
Don't people wave the flag with enthusiasm for things like when you win the World Cup?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If I remember the rules correctly, the other nations' flag should be only displayed in a presence of US flag, but in a separate pole that is somewhat shorter than the one where the US flag is. In my area, however, some people show second flag in the same pole below US flag, usually Norwegian or Swedish flag.

I have actually been a US citizen only for 9 years, but after moving here never felt a need to display any other flag than Stars and Stripes. And yes, it is flying today!
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The local Boy Scouts have a "flag service" where they will put a flag on a pole in your yard on the so-called 'flag' holidays for about $50 a year. Today was such a day, so lots of flags on poles sprouted up overnight. It is rather awesome to see.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Administrator

I judge a man by whether he was flying the flag on 9/10/2001.