Join Early Retirement Today

American fugitive surgeon captured on Mt. Blanc
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

American fugitive surgeon captured on Mt. Blanc

America's most wanted: doctor found living in tent on Mont Blanc | World news | The Guardian

How quickly it can all fall apart on you, eh?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What type of person needs his ego stroked so much that he feels he has to take such high risks to maintain a $200,000 a week income resulting in unethical treatment and, apparently, death of his patients? A total narcissist? Or a guy who feels so badly about himself that he does this sort of thing to make himself look like a super hero earner to build himself up? I'd love to know what his home life was like when he was young, what his parents were like and his background, so I could understand what drove him to do this.
Now he's just another Dr. turned killer. Sad situation.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #3

I was going to write a similar post as Orchidflower's. I really want to know the psychology behind all of this.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #4

Great minds think alike, Helen..ha! (Or maybe it's just a gal thang?)

Here is some explanation from America's Most Wanted:

http://www.amw.com/captures/case.cfm?id=58715

Sounds narcissistic and sociopathic for sure. Take a look at the "Profile" section for a rundown on him.
Read how he treated his supposedly beloved wife at the end. Wouldn't you just love to have that for a husband who leaves you with no money in the end? Nice guy...harumph!

(I'd love to know how he learned Greek. Shoot, I'm half-Greek, and I only know how to say I love you and the dirty words..har!)
Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #5

I shudder to think how many people undergo unnecessary surgery in the name of greed. Always get a second and third opinion.

I had an ENT in Florida tell me a few years back that I needed expensive and delicate (risky) sinus surgery when I went to see him for what I thought was a simple sinus infection. I got a second opinion from a doctor that said my sinuses were 99% better than what he normally sees and I needed no surgery at all. Apparently I just had some sinus inflammation and he gave me some inexpensive meds which cleared it up and I've had no problems since.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #6

Agree, Trek. I had a Dentist fill tons of teeth when I was young and totally naive when it wasn't necessary. He really took me to the cleaners as I never believed a qualified Dentist of his stature would be so greedy, but he was. Like I said, I was really naive back then.
Also, had a Chiro I went to on a recommendation from a neighbor some years ago take me for $200 when it was a $50 fix, but I was in so much pain I paid it; however, you can be sure I never went back to that crook. But, when you can't even stand up straight you are in so much pain, you pay the money and hope he rots in hell at the time (yup!).
Some medical professionals are so greedy it's pathetic. Hopefully, they get theirs from someone else as in what goes around, comes around.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whatever might or might not be truthful about his medical practice, he sure is a physically and morally tough person to be able to live alone on a mountain in winter. I have to give him credit for that.

Ha
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #8

Morally tough, ha? I'm not sure I'd use the word "morally" to describe this creep. He spent alot of time figuring out how to save his own a*s. Look how he left his wife with no money and stranded in a far away country. He's scum.
But I agree he's physically tough. I wouldn't have chosen the route of hiding on a mountain as that's no life at all. Might as well be dead in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Morally tough, ha? I'm not sure I'd use the word "morally" to describe this creep. He spent alot of time figuring out how to save his own a*s. Look how he left his wife with no money and stranded in a far away country. He's scum.
But I agree he's physically tough. I wouldn't have chosen the route of hiding on a mountain as that's no life at all. Might as well be dead in my opinion.
I don't mean ethically admirable. I mean, he clearly has the survival thing down pat. It's hard to camp in the snow for even a weekend.

Ha
Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #10

Got it, ha. Surprising choice for what sounds like a spoiled brat grown-up to spend it toughing it out in the wild. Wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #11

From OrchidFlowers link:

"Weinberger's dad then loaned him a cool $1 million to buy a CT machine for his new office. That million also happened to be the entirety of Weinberger's father's retirement, but Weinberger told him that he had nothing to worry about, and that he would always take care of him.
Little did his father know, that was not to be the case."

Yikes!!!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #12

"...the runaway doctor asked to go to the lavatory. There, he whipped out a tiny knife he had secreted in his underwear and plunged it into his throat. But despite being an expert surgeon, he missed the artery he appeared to be aiming for..."

MORE malpractice!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #13

Wonder how it ended up with his father? I caught that, also. If he absconded with his Dad's money, this guy is REALLY a big sociopath. Nature or nurture caused this, and wouldn't I love to delve into this guy's background to find out? Fascinating.
Only cause I'm in this area and know it well, did you catch the fact he has lunches brought in from Chicago's finest restaurants for his staff often? Chicago from Merrillville, Indiana, is about a 1-1/2 hr. trip one way I'm guessing. Not a normal thing to do either.
This guy must have been an uber-narcissist.