Join Early Retirement Today

American gasoline money funds this stuff!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
gone traveling

American gasoline money funds this stuff!

Mile-high tower: Saudi prince promises £5bn desert spire TWICE as tall as nearest rival being built | the Daily Mail

Sorry we are just fools.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you not taking a cross country trip this summer?

You know just sayin..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #3

Say, didn't they try this in Babel?
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One prince's mile-high trophy tower is another man's handy bomb-nav turnpoint.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry we are just fools.
what the prince does with the money is not a reflection on us; actually, by comparison i'd guess his investment makes us look better.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Are you not taking a cross country trip this summer?

You know just sayin..

In a 4 cyl camry 5 speed 36 mpg. Less fuel than a plane? Right? I still say we should put a tax on gasoline of upwards of 3 dollars a gallon which would get all of us out of wasteful 15 mpg pickup trucks and suvs.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #7

and washington could take that $3/gal and build an even taller tower !
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #8

I seen truckers were complaining about the price of diesel. Just pass on the price to the consumers.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
and washington could take that $3/gal and build an even taller tower !
Nah how bout healthcare for everyone? Or a new railroad system, or new infrastructure.

The guys that want to build those tall towers are probably lacking in the loins.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #10

why would you assume the funds would be wisely spent? we are speaking of gov't, yes?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
why would you assume the funds would be wisely spent? we are speaking of gov't, yes?

Funds spent wisely? Lets see Iraq? How much spent there? The Gov't decided to GO there. Both awful parties are to blame here. In addition the american people are also to blame here , we have not held anyone accountable. Sure we threw out the repubs 2 years ago look what we put in!! Pelosi was there before, she is a waste as much as any repub was before they were thrown out.

Again, getting the public out of their wasteful rust buckets makes all the sense in the world, UNLESS you understand that a military presence in that part of the world is a necessity for americans to continue their merry driving habits in their silly wasteful machines.

Uh it is all about making sure the oil will continue to flow out of the saudi ground .
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

An additional $3 tax on fuel will hurt the poor who are having it tough making ends meet. I don't think that is your goal? At $4 per gallon of diesel, my wife and I will spend about $8,500 on fuel for our 40' motorhome this year. With an additional $3, we would be at $15,000. We bought a MH to drive. BTW we also drive a SUV.

At what point will you drive considerably less. As long as fuel is available ie...long gas lines, the price is irrelevant to many, many people.

Dave
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_CFO_now_RVer View Post
An additional $3 tax on fuel will hurt the poor who are having it tough making ends meet. I don't think that is your goal? At $4 per gallon of diesel, my wife and I will spend about $8,500 on fuel for our 40' motorhome this year. With an additional $3, we would be at $15,000. We bought a MH to drive. BTW we also drive a SUV.

At what point will you drive considerably less. As long as fuel is available ie...long gas lines, the price is irrelevant to many, many people.

Dave
Shortages will be next on the docket. The places we get our oil from are starting to crash the Mexican field will not be producing in less than 5 years!! The other parts of the world are using more and more of their own crude.

No if we all drove less or used less by getting into smaller vehicles that get 40+ mpg it would make a difference. The poor, yea how bout trains?? Buses?? a railroad system like in europe!!

You know we are at war now, how about during WWII, you know those ration coupons For Fuel How about today? Think about it for a moment, the oil is a finite source right? War sacrifice??

Ex CEO its all BULL$HIT its all bad for ya as George Carlin says.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

newguy888,

I don't share your thoughts. OIL is everywhere, lets drill for it!

Dave
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_CFO_now_RVer View Post
newguy888,

I don't share your thoughts. OIL is everywhere, lets drill for it!

Dave

That would be a great idea, how bout off the east coast, Florida through a reindeer's HEAD!!! But special interest groups will stop drilling in all of those places. Nope not until you are waiting in a gasoline line for fuel will things change, which will be sooner than later. What good will the beaches of the east coast be if there is no gasoline for people to put in their cars to get there?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
That would be a great idea, how bout off the east coast, Florida through a reindeer's HEAD!!! But special interest groups will stop drilling in all of those places. Nope not until you are waiting in a gasoline line for fuel will things change, which will be sooner than later. What good will the beaches of the east coast be if there is no gasoline for people to put in their cars to get there?
I am glad we agree, let the drilling begin.

Dave
Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

The answers to some of the U.S's fuel problems are
-HEMP as an alternate fuel
-downsizings to smaller vehicles that get 30 to 40 mpg
-building a mass transit system in metro areas
-voting out of office all those dirty varmints in Washington D.C
-new president appointing Ralph Nader or Willie Nelson as the new Enegry Sec.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
The answers to some of the U.S's fuel problems are
-HEMP as an alternate fuel
-new president appointing Ralph Nader or Willie Nelson as the new Enegry Sec.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Wags wags wags uh these?? God help us all!! Nadar?? Egomaniac, if the guy was worth anything he would have run for some office other than the president!! Has done little to help anyone. Willie nelson, and hemp? Maybe willie and a doobie!!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Wags wags wags uh these?? God help us all!! Nadar?? Egomaniac, if the guy was worth anything he would have run for some office other than the president!! Has done little to help anyone. Willie nelson, and hemp? Maybe willie and a doobie!!
I was just throwing Willie and Ralph out there. They can't do any worse then the previous Sec.'s of Energy and the current adminstration's energy policy.

At least Willie would have an energy policy (current adminstration - NONE)in which we would grow HEMP as a crop and use it for energy, clothing, paper and for medical use.

Hempcar.org-Pollution: Petrol vs Hemp

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I was just throwing Willie and Ralph out there. They can't do any worse then the previous Sec.'s of Energy and the current adminstration's energy policy.

At least Willie would have an energy policy (current adminstration - NONE)in which we would grow HEMP as a crop and use it for energy, clothing, paper and for medical use.

Hempcar.org-Pollution: Petrol vs Hemp

GOD BLESS US ALL
I know wags just giving you the business. I find it hard to believe though that any source of fuel other than oil right now will mean a protracted hardship for everyone. Biofuels will NEVER be able to move the fleet of vehicles we have right now! Our way of life will be getting smaller, smaller towns, living where you work, the suburban sprawl of the 20th century will be history and many people will be awfully angry when the you know what hits the fan.