Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Elise kicked it big time on Whole Lotta Love. This was one of the best Idol shows in a long time and I gotta give some props to Stevie Nicks.

In addition to Elise, Haley did a great job on a Zep song as already mentioned. Then there was this from season 8...

Sad to see Heejun go but he went out with class. Great final performance from him.
Either Lambert's backup band had a lot of left-handed players, or the video was mistakenly reversed. I'm rooting for Elise. She first got my attention when she performed here (and this version of the song is simply fantastic):

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cannot believe that Hollie was in the bottom three ahead of Deandre.

We should take phones and internet away from 12 year old girls on Wednesday nights. They don't think straight.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Elise kicked it big time on Whole Lotta Love. This was one of the best Idol shows in a long time and I gotta give some props to Stevie Nicks.
+1
I could not believe the judges when they said, "I don't know what's happening tonight that we have all these great performances"...duh!... Stevie Nicks!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #64

Stevie Nicks was cool, wasn't she?

I am gonna jump in and say that I liked Heejun (only during auditions and the last song he sang, but hey.) He is nothing special, technically speaking, but something about his voice is really soothing and hits me emotionally.

I really cannot take tight sounding sounds like the ones Joshua and Colton generates. They hit all the right notes, but gees, can they open up their throat a bit more? (It's almost painful to my ears, so I have to fast-forward.) Hollie has a nice clear voice, but mechanical and robotic to me. I think she will be so much better with more experience.

I like Phillip and Elise Testone. I am glad Elise started smiling more and looking more confident. She is not young enough to be the AI, but I enjoy her singing styles. I hope she will stay more mainstream on the show with song choices though, if she wants to stay in. I believe Haley got eliminated when she did Zeppelin (but that was when she was already high up in the ranking.)

DeAndre is kind of strange, but he sounds a lot like the guy who sings high notes in Earth, Wind & Fire.

I like Jessica but probably only her ballads (Her "I Will Always Love You" was AMAZING.) Both DeAndre and Jessica do this slow motion vibrato and I am not a fan of slow waves.

Only music I have ever downloaded out of all AI singers is Kelly Clarkson. Maybe I just like the kind of music she sings.

WOW. All this is coming from someone who cannot sing!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #65

[QUOTE=ERD50;1179026]I'll go further, he should have been among the first to go. I can't stand all that falsetto. It's not even good falsetto. I can't imagine why the judges say anything good about him.

+1 Admittedly, I'm a Bee Gees fan going back to the late 60's, and that includes their numerous songs in falsetto. They did it right. I find Deandre's falsetto's just irritating.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #66

There were a bunch of good performances this past week. One of the better overall episodes in terms of quality performances. I think there were two reasons for that:
1. Stevie Nicks and her mentorship
2. The contestants got to pick their own songs instead of being limited to some pre-chosen song book. They got to sing songs in their wheelhouse.

Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I could do without the new fashion guy though. Laughed out loud when he told Phillip not to wear gray. So instead Phillip comes out wearing gray on gray. Genius!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
.....Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I could do without the new fashion guy though. Laughed out loud when he told Phillip not to wear gray. So instead Phillip comes out wearing gray on gray. Genius!
+1 In fact, I would like to see Jimmy replace Steven Tyler as a judge. Tyler usually adds very little, but I will admit it was refreshing that he called out Heejun for his immature antics a couple weeks ago.

I agree that the fashion guy is a joke.

I'm still trying to figure out Phillip. Likable guy, ok voice, but his facial machinations when he sings are odd.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
There were a bunch of good performances this past week. One of the better overall episodes in terms of quality performances. I think there were two reasons for that:
1. Stevie Nicks and her mentorship
2. The contestants got to pick their own songs instead of being limited to some pre-chosen song book. They got to sing songs in their wheelhouse.

Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I really enjoyed this week's performances, too. It was a great show. I thought some of the contestants (like Jessica Sanchez) didn't choose songs that would fully highlight their vocal strength, and others (like Elise Testone) did.

Jimmy is a very likable guy and appears to have extensive experience in dealing with potential superstar musicians. Yes, he is honest and more of that is needed on AI now that Simon Cowell is gone. It seems Steven and Jennifer often are reluctant to be more than members of a cheering team. Despite his refreshingly honest comments, sometimes I think Jimmy is just plain wrong.

As for the new fashion guy (Tommy Hilfiger, I believe), the outfits he puts these contestants in are the worse ever IMO. I did like the flashy pants that Jessica wore when singing "Turn the Beat Around", but her outfit for "Everybody Has a Dream" was mousy and dull IMO, and made her look like a nobody. Recently (when she was singing "Shameless") he put Skylar in an outfit that I think deliberately emphasiized the size of her behind, something that she doesn't need. It just wasn't flattering at all.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #69

[QUOTE=mystang52;1179226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll go further, he should have been among the first to go. I can't stand all that falsetto. It's not even good falsetto. I can't imagine why the judges say anything good about him.

+1 Admittedly, I'm a Bee Gees fan going back to the late 60's, and that includes their numerous songs in falsetto. They did it right. I find Deandre's falsetto's just irritating.
+2 I am totally tired of Deandre. He is a one trick pony with all the falsetto stuff and needs to go.

As to the judges, I frequently do not agree with their comments and it almost seems to me that they play different favorites each week and try to sway the vote. While I like Jimmy, also do not always agree with some of the things he says. That said, IMO Stevie was right on with her advice.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As for the new fashion guy (Tommy Hilfiger, I believe), the outfits he puts these contestants in are the worse ever IMO.
I kind of blame him for the untimely departure of Erika Van Pelt. Erika looked horrible in her new hairdo, in that she easily aged 10 years with the it; that is on the show in which its voters are teens. I saw her mom on the show and she looked like Erika's sister.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #71

Last year Jimmy said of Scotty, "that kid is going to sell a lot of records". I guess he was right. 1,000,000 albums.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

This week's theme: songs of the 80s. Mentor: Gwen Stefani. I'd love to hear Elise do "Walk this Way". It was first released in the 70s, but Run DMC released this cover version in the 80s. She's got the vocal chops and sassy attitude to pull it off.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #73

Quote:
This week's theme: songs of the 80s. Mentor: Gwen Stefani. I'd love to hear Elise do "Walk this Way". It was first released in the 70s, but Run DMC released this cover version in the 80s. She's got the vocal chops and sassy attitude to pull it off.
I am hoping Elise will something like that too.

Here is Carrie Underwood with Steven Tyler doing Walk This Way. (2011 ACM Country Music Awards )

This must be a hard song to sing for a country singer.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am hoping Elise will something like that too.

Here is Carrie Underwood with Steven Tyler doing Walk This Way. (2011 ACM Country Music Awards )

This must be a hard song to sing for a country singer.
Forgot about this. Thanks!!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Kris Allen will perform on the April 19th results show. Check out his new song. Pretty good I think...

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #76

When the show started, before anyone sang, I selected four that wouldn't kill me if any one of these four was booted tomorrow--Phillip, DeAndre, Colton, and Skylar. But there were some strong performances tonight.

I agree with the judges: DeAndre was pretty good tonight, by using a "regular" voice more than that falsetto. (His antics with his hair still bug me.) But if he had to leave tomorrow, okay with me. I still don't get the attraction with Phillip. He's nice enough, and apparently "true to himself," and has a lot of admirers. But, to me, he's just a B-grade Dave Matthews. If I heard him on my car radio, I wouldn't know it was him. Colton was okay, to my ears. But Skylar's performance tonight made me think twice; so, of the four that at the top of the show I wouldn't mind see leaving tomorrow, I've changed my mind about Skylar. I'd like to see her stay. So, I'd put Hollie in my Bottom Four.

Hollie and Elise got the worst reviews of the judges tonight. As folks know, I am partial to Elise. She has got that unique-sounding voice that would be recognizable on the car radio as you go down the road: "Oh, that's Elise." But I don't see voters taking her beyond the Top 3, if she even makes it that far. But, if that's the case, I hope she is one of those AI contestants who, with some good tunes, has a respected and successful singing career despite not making it into the AI top.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #77
Administrator

I think DeAndre can go now.

My favorite performance of the evening was the duet by Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez. But really, they were all so good.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #78

I thought the judges were unduly harsh on Hollie.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I agree that the judges were harsh on Hollie. Hers wasn't the greatest performance but it didn't seem as pitchy as they indicated. I still like her voice and think she has great potential but I agree with the judges that she needs to let loose. Perhaps her nerves are getting the best of her.

+1 on hoping that Deandre is selected to go home tonight.

I like Elise but and hope she stays, but am afraid for her.

I don't see the guys as being very strong this year. I think I would like Joshua best if he would stop screaming and just sing the melody - the background singers upstaged him IMO.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think DeAndre can go now.

My favorite performance of the evening was the duet by Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez. But really, they were all so good.
Me too..Deandre is odd and that hair and the way he thows it around...but then lopez says she real likes the way he flips his hair.......??

I think Ryan should come out with a wig....but really at this point they are all pretty close...but no super star.

ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote