Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
AI Alumni Jennifer Hudson performed on the "elimination" show. Dang! I need to research what she's done to shed weight recently. I know that she had lost some weight over the past few years, but on the show the other night, she was looking the best I have ever seen her. It looked like she had lost a few more pounds since the last time I saw her on TV a year or so back. She was slim-waisted, had long shapely legs, and was looking pretty good. Sometimes it's a wonder to me how the loss of weight can make some people's faces look better, and Jennifer looked quite beautiful.
I didn't know she was from AI. I had seen her in The Secret Life of Bees. But even I know that she's a spokewoman for Weight Watchers. I have to turn the channel every time she comes on and mangles "I'm Feelin' Good". I'm glad she lost weight, and I'm sure she's a fine modern singer, but leave that song to Nina.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Colton was eliminated.

The theme for next week is Queen.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #103
Administrator

Colton was really good, so I was surprised but I am OK with him being eliminated. At this point, they are all good and really none deserve elimination, IMO.

I'd love to just hear this same group sing every week, with no further eliminations, but that isn't going to happen. So, next week I guess it will be Elise or Hollie. Queen sounds more like Elises's cup of tea, and we know what she can do with the right song, so probably Hollie.

Too bad that we couldn't hear Colton do Queen. I think he would have knocked it out of the park.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #104

Yes, I liked Colton also. But he did have a bad week. Seems like a good kid.

For some reason I just don't like Joshua. He can sing good. But he just goes over the top with the runs and riffs. Just too much. And he is almost wierdly emotional. I'd prefer he leave next although it aint gonna happen.

Favorite judge comment this week was Steven Tyler calling Phillip brilliantly awkward. Thought that was a good description.

I continue to be impressed with Jimmy Iovine and his insight. I think he is a good mentor for these kids.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While Philip is very talented, his raspy type of voice is wearing on me, so I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go.

That said, I really wonder if these judges would support a younger contestant (eg 16 yo) winning it all; has that ever happened? I'm still pulling for Jessica.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Colton was eliminated.

The theme for next week is Queen.
I think the Lady Gaga song did him in. I personally like Gaga's "Bad Romance" but thought he did a poor job with it. Plus, it didn't suit his style as a Christian rocker. I think lots of his fans had trouble with the adult lyrics.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I think the Lady Gaga song did him in. I personally like Gaga's "Bad Romance" but thought he did a poor job with it. Plus, it didn't suit his style as a Christian rocker. I think lots of his fans had trouble with the adult lyrics.
Yes, I agree - - his performance was not good. I didn't really notice the lyrics so maybe that was an issue, too. But anyway, his performance left me thinking, "where's Colton?"

I was SO impressed with the grace he showed in defeat. Very classy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I didn't really notice the lyrics so maybe that was an issue, too. But anyway, his performance left me thinking, "where's Colton?"

I was SO impressed with the grace he showed in defeat. Very classy.
He changed up the lyrics but the song is so well known, it didn't really matter. Just not the kind of song a guy looking for votes from nice church girls should do. Colton pretty much said this in post show interviews.

He did show grace in defeat. Smart thing to do if he wants a career in the music biz.

Here's the orginial song - 460 million views. Lyric changes or not, I suspect many Idol viewers, particularly the younger ones, know what it's about.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While Philip is very talented, his raspy type of voice is wearing on me, so I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go.

That said, I really wonder if these judges would support a younger contestant (eg 16 yo) winning it all; has that ever happened? I'm still pulling for Jessica.
Scotty McCreery was young so I don't see age being an issue at all.

In our house, the consensus is that the girls are a lot stronger than the guys.

Joshua's screaming is becoming annoying. Phillip has a nice personality and is a good entertainer, but the voice isn't as strong as I think it needs to be.

It is amazing the way Elise has hung in there (I liked Jimmy's comment that Elise had a "vacation home" in the bottom 3) and she has had some good moments. I really like Hollie's voice, but she needs to let loose and swing for the fences if she wants to stay on. Jessica has a great voice, but may have peaked too early.

Skylar is likable, entertaining and her voice seems to be getting better every week. I think she could be in the finale.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Scotty McCreery was young so I don't see age being an issue at all.

In our house, the consensus is that the girls are a lot stronger than the guys.

Joshua's screaming is becoming annoying. Phillip has a nice personality and is a good entertainer, but the voice isn't as strong as I think it needs to be.

It is amazing the way Elise has hung in there (I liked Jimmy's comment that Elise had a "vacation home" in the bottom 3) and she has had some good moments. I really like Hollie's voice, but she needs to let loose and swing for the fences if she wants to stay on. Jessica has a great voice, but may have peaked too early.

Skylar is likable, entertaining and her voice seems to be getting better every week. I think she could be in the finale.
Your right, Scotty was 17. Good critique, I tend to agree with everything you've said. The other thing with Skylar, the girl knows how to perform, very good stage presence.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #111

Are you guys from Texas?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Are you guys from Texas?
Common now, I am a former NYer just like you
Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you guys from Texas?
If you were in charge of picking the show themes, I have a pretty good guess what you'd choose

BTW, I'm not from Texas and like Skylar too. That girl's got a great voice, stage presence and spunk!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you were in charge of picking the show themes, I have a pretty good guess what you'd choose

BTW, I'm not from Texas and like Skylar too. That girl's got a great voice, stage presence and spunk!
FWIW, file this under 'to each their own' or 'different strokes', but DW & I really don't like Skylar's stage presence. She is a good singer, but she comes across to us as too 'showy' and 'full of herself'. Hard to put into words or explain, she just turns us off.

I'm surprised Elise keeps hanging in there. I like her, I just wouldn't think she could pull in the votes from that audience.

Jessica's just almost unbelievable. I just can't believe she can perform like that at 17.

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
FWIW, file this under 'to each their own' or 'different strokes', but DW & I really don't like Skylar's stage presence. She is a good singer, but she comes across to us as too 'showy' and 'full of herself'. Hard to put into words or explain, she just turns us off.

I'm surprised Elise keeps hanging in there. I like her, I just wouldn't think she could pull in the votes from that audience.

Jessica's just almost unbelievable. I just can't believe she can perform like that at 17.

-ERD50
My mom's totally with you and your DW regarding Skylar. However, we both agree Jessica's excellent. It was a big shock seeing Jessica receive the fewest votes. Colton...not so much.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #116

Quote:

Heh, I just don't like her choice of boots.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, I just don't like her choice of boots.
You gotta talk to bbbamI about boots

Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you guys from Texas?
Them's fightin' words.

No way, Jose. Tho I have three sisters who have turned to the dark side and are Longhorns (and an Aggie niece).
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #119

Quote:
Speaking of Lady Gaga, until last week, not knowing that much about her but having seen her here-and-there on TV, I considered her a much-bally-hooed mid-level talent. (Even the AI judges always seem to sing her praises as a performer and song-writer.)

But last week I caught on my local PBS TV station the "Tony Bennett Duets II" show, and witnessed him also sing the praises of Lady Gaga--which, to me, coming from him, is virtually gospel. Then, I saw and heard her perform with Bennett on that PBS show, and admired both her singing chops and her improvisational skills. For me, she rose a couple of notches in esteem.

I have heard various versions of the standard "The Lady is a Tramp"--including Ol' Blue Eyes's great version--but this is a fine version. That Gaga Lady is a champ!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Speaking of Lady Gaga, until last week, not knowing that much about her but having seen her here-and-there on TV, I considered her a much-bally-hooed mid-level talent. (Even the AI judges always seem to sing her praises as a performer and song-writer.)

But last week I caught on my local PBS TV station the "Tony Bennett Duets II" show, and witnessed him also sing the praises of Lady Gaga--which, to me, coming from him, is virtually gospel. Then, I saw and heard her perform with Bennett on that PBS show, and admired both her singing chops and her improvisational skills. For me, she rose a couple of notches in esteem.

I have heard various versions of the standard "The Lady is a Tramp"--including Ol' Blue Eyes's great version--but this is a fine version. That Gaga Lady is a champ!
Good one Birdie! Since we're talkin' about Idol and Gaga, here's an interesting fact. She took her stage name from this song. She adores Freddie Mercury. Perhaps someone will cover it given this is Queen week.