Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Heh, I just don't like her choice of boots.
I understand your perspective, you prefer your boots more from the Nancy Sinatra era

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #122
Administrator

Enjoying the AI renditions of Queen songs tonight! Hope some of you are too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #123

I'm waiting for the "Dion" night.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Elise did Hendrix! Is this a first on Idol? Love her. First time I've been inspired to actually vote this season.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #125
Administrator

Quote:
Well, good luck with THAT.... There are only six contestants left, and tomorrow it will be five... so only three more weeks before the finals. Somehow I think they may just have to pass on "Dion" night this year.

Besides, these are just kids. Queen is already like something out of the Dark Ages for them. They probably think Queen songs about the same as Dion songs... unimaginably ancient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Elise did Hendrix! Is this a first on Idol? Love her. First time I've been inspired to actually vote this season.
Elise was good! I really enjoyed all of tonight's performances, especially Jessica's version of Bohemian Rhapsody. The group performance at the beginning was good, too. I have never voted.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #126

Fools I tell ya!!!

All kidding aside, all these kids are great, I don't know how any of them should leave.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Fools I tell ya!!!

All kidding aside, all these kids are great, I don't know how any of them should leave.
Me either! I'd love to just listen to all six of them for the rest of the season, and have them all declared equal "co-Idols".

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Great night tonight and I agree with others that this is a great top six. We went to the American Idols Live tour the year David Cook won and will be very tempted to go again this summer given the strength of this field.

Our house has a consensus on the bottom three: Joshua, Phillip and Elise.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #129

Quote:
Dion ain't happening, maybe Jay from Jay and the Americans

The judges summed it up well at the end of last night's show, no easy decision on who goes. I still like Jessica, but could do without Phillip.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #130

Well, if they are going to have a Jay and the Americans night I hope they do songs from Kenny Vance. He was one of the back up singers to Jay and blows him away IMHO.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #131

Kenny Vance is the real king.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #132
Administrator

Quote:
What a delight to listen to this morning. He compares very favorably to this year's AI contestants. I guess that shows what age and experience can do to develop an artist. He has figured out how to make that full musical/emotional connection to the listener, something that the judges keep pushing the AI contestants to work on. Kenny Vance has that down and his singing seems personal and touching.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #133
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I still don't get the judges' adoration of Phillip. Particularly last night, when Steven and Randy, once again, proclaimed how Phillip is just being himself. (He "takes chances" and has "found his niche." He "shows his true colors." He's a "true artist." "Sink or swim, he'll always just be Phil Phillips.") Huh? By being a Dave Matthews's clone? And it was especially obvious when he did a cover of a Matthews's song. But, when Elise is doing "her thing," which isn't a clone of anyone, Randy in particular says she should concentrate on those I-IV-V bluesy type songs. Or Randy says that she over sings a simple melody--such as the Hendrix tune last night. Huh, and Randy's fave Joshua doesn't? Much as the judges seem to want her to be, Elise is not a Janis Joplin clone. She is capable of more variety, but it seems to me the judges try to pigeon-hole her. Jennifer seemed more even-handed last night, though.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing Phillip go tonight. It's getting tough, however, to decide who should go. But someone's O has gotta go.

BTW: There seems to be a lot of anti-Joshua Ledet backlash this week, not because fans necessarily don't like him, but due to the numerous Randy-led standing ovations.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #134
Administrator

Well, here we go. I wonder who will be eliminated tonight? I suspect Philip or Hollie, though I love them both. I think Elise is my least favorite, but she has a solid and devoted fan base (and like the other five, she is really pretty good) so I doubt she will go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #135

Jimmy V had it right...2 bad song choices.....and you're gone.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, here we go. I wonder who will be eliminated tonight? I suspect Philip or Hollie, though I love them both. I think Elise is my least favorite, but she has a solid and devoted fan base (and like the other five, she is really pretty good) so I doubt she will go.
Oops......
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dang! I wanted Elise to make it at least to the Top 5. Now I feel like when, in the past, my favorite sports team almost gets to the playoffs, but then something knocks them out of the game.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Dang! I wanted Elise to make it at least to the Top 5. Now I feel like when, in the past, my favorite sports team almost gets to the playoffs, but then something knocks them out of the game.
Yeah, me too Birdie. At least she went out with style. Here's my favorite performance of hers. She is one fierce woman.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, me too Birdie. At least she went out with style. Here's my favorite performance of hers. She is one fierce woman.
+1 She did go out in style - I hated to see her go but it was a bit predictable given her vacation home in the bottom three.

What DS and I don't get at all is how in the world Phillip and Joshua are in the top three. Philip is boring and the contortions he makes with his face while singing border on bizarre. Joshua has some good moments, but is a bit of a screamer.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #140

Elise might have been the best overall performer, but her style just didn't fit the AI model, and more importantly the AI voters. I think she's going to have a good career anyway.