Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I miss Simon Cowell. It seems to me that the judges are too positive and rarely critical these days. When was the last time we heard a terrible performance called out as a trainwreck?

Stephen Tyler is a bit of a joke as a judge. The only good thing I have seen him do in two years is call out Heejun for his antics.
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #162

While I haven't been a Skylar fan, I was really disappointed to see her go before Phillip. Kind of surprised the judges didn't say something like, America didn't get it right

Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought America got it right. Skylar's voice annoyed me. From here on out it gets really tough. These kids are good. I'm rooting for the underdog Hollie. But that's not likely.

I agree with the comment the judges should just speak less now. Seems like they are trying too much to sway the vote. The only relevant comments come from Jimmy IMO. They have to have somebody like him since Simon is no longer there.

Also interesting to watch Coldplay last night. That lead singer guy really gets a workout while performing. Cracked me up. I know how he keeps in shape. Cardio singing.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Skylar's voice is better than Kellie Pickler, she'll be fine. If Skylar has a career half as successful as Kellie's, she will not complain.

Hollie is a fighter, I'll give her that. 2 girls and 2 guys? Boy, that's doesn't look like a fix. I predict a Joshua/Jessica final. Josh will win because the judges are in lust for him........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Word has it next week's theme is "California Dreaming". May have a different theme for the second or third songs.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Joshua!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #167
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
Joshua!
Wonderful performance on "It's a man's world"!!! Best of the evening, IMO. How great to have a young Louisiana singer doing so well.
I liked Holli's second song, too.

I am ready for Philip to go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wonderful performance on "It's a man's world"!!! Best of the evening, IMO. How great to have a young Louisiana singer doing so well.
I liked Holli's second song, too.

I am ready for Philip to go.
I kinda liked Philip for the first time in several weeks. Thought he killed "Volcano".
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #169

I think the Judges should keep their mouths shut at this point. Funny how they all pick the same person they want to sabbatage, tonight it was Hollie. I find it so funny that they all have the exact opinion. They should seperate them in sound proof booths so they can't hear each other and I'd love to hear what they have to say then. There was nothing wrong with Hollie's sencond song yet all 3 judges were all over her. BS!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

It was a great night and while I agree that Phillip slayed Volcano it was too little, too late in my book. He is the weakest voice, but I'm afraid that Hollie will be the one packing her bags. I hope I am wrong.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #171
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think the Judges should keep their mouths shut at this point. Funny how they all pick the same person they want to sabbatage, tonight it was Hollie. I find it so funny that they all have the exact opinion. They should seperate them in sound proof booths so they can't hear each other and I'd love to hear what they have to say then. There was nothing wrong with Hollie's sencond song yet all 3 judges were all over her. BS!
I thought she did a terrific job with that second song, and I was astonished when the judges didn't give her a standing ovation, but instead criticized it so harshly.

I used to like Philip better than Holli, but after the past few weeks Holli has really shown more of what she can do. I hope she stays.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #172

Quote:
+1 One can debate whether Hollie was great or just OK, but I didn't think her performance was anywhere close to the negative criticsm she got.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #173

Quote:
+2, I like the sound proof booth idea. IMO, Jessica threw down the gauntlet with her 2nd song (in fact I don't recall any performance ever that came close to that), and I hope we say goodbye to Phillip tonight.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

The judges were just cruel to Hollie and obviously want her off the show. To me her second song was better than her first and I preferred the strength of her voice in the the second song compared to Bonnie Raitt's in the original. Hollie expressed the song how she really interpreted it and I really enjoyed it.

Phillip's second song was very good and I enjoyed the original artist's rendition as well (got to love youtube). His first song didn't do much for me.

I still think Joshua sings too many notes but I listened a second time to both of his songs and I really enjoyed his second song (It's a Man's World). I much preferred the original artist's rendition of his first song. Joshua does an excellent job making a production out of his songs with lots of other singers and musicians.

I don't care for Jessica anymore. Too many notes, too much screaming, too much everything. I swear that her second song hurt my ears. She shows great emotion but I just don't care for her anymore. She was my favorite earlier in the season. I wish she would go.

I suspect that Hollie will get a bunch of votes that went previously to Skylar since they were close friends.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also ready for Phillip to go. I'm not as enamored with him as the judges seem to be. I don't think his voice is all that special, and quite honestly, other than on Volcano this week, I think he sounds the same on all songs.

Joshua and Jessica have absolutely insane voices and I think they both will have amazing careers, but the one from this season that will have the biggest career will be Skylar Laine. I'm not a country fan, but I can recognize great country music, and she has the voice for it...even her name is catchy. She is going to be a HUGE star along the lines of Carrie Underwood.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #176

Okay, after watching tonight's show, with everything said and done, I say Joshua should be the new American Idol.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #177
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Okay, after watching tonight's show, with everything said and done, I say Joshua should be the new American Idol.
+1 He is getting better every week.

Philip Phillips had a moment singing Bob Seger's "we've got tonight" but I think it was too little too late. Jessica didn't really have any moments this week IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #178

I agree. After initially not liking Joshua I've come around on him. The guy is good. His version of It's a Mans World was awesome. He was very good tonight. The only thing I've got against him now is not even his fault. I can't stand to hear the judges gush over him.

I hope it's Joshua and Phillip in the finals. Jessica kinda bores me.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Funny, Joshua bores me. All he does is huff and puff and scream.

I think it should be Jessica. She has a great voice and versatility, but too many teenybopper girls vote and the last four winners have been male. We'll see.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

They're all good, but I don't feel as invested in any of them as I have in past seasons. I'd like Joshua to win, but predict Phillip will get the confetti shower next week.