Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it is odd that at that level that they need to resort to writing lyrics on hands and arms.

I thought Nicki's reactions to those who were doing it were priceless. I wasn't a fan of her at first but she is growing on me - once you get past her appearance, I think she has the potential to be a good judge. I like her candor - DW thinks she has the potential to be Simon reincarnated.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Am I the only one who has never watched the American Idol show ? :-)
nope!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+2 That was a special "moment" but it is early and there is a long ways to go. It seems to me that the girls are rockin' this year.
+3 , loved her, said to DW, there is your next American Idol, but your right, its early and there is no predicting where these judges may go
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been watching AI the last couple of nights. (Yes, I can "waste" time doing this because largely, in part, I am ER'd. So I can do whatever I want.) I think this season's three new judges are the best ever. They offer informed, intelligent, and helpful suggestions. They seem to know what they are talking about: with comments about music history and foundations, poise and look, presentation, emoting, etc.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #45
Administrator

I thought Charlie Askew did a terrific job tonight with "Rocket Man". I doubt he'll win, but he sure put his all into this song and I love it when they do that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I thought last night was one of the best nights in recent memory at this stage of the competition. What a talented group of young women. A part of me wants to just let the guys go and let the 10 women battle it out over the next 10 weeks.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #47

I've only seen 60% of last night's show, but quite frankly, up until Angela got behind the piano, it was rather disappointing to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I thought last night was one of the best nights in recent memory at this stage of the competition. What a talented group of young women. A part of me wants to just let the guys go and let the 10 women battle it out over the next 10 weeks.
+1, too bad that some very talented girls will get culled out now vs what the guys have to offer (at least based on my recollection of the young men). I suspect the difference will be more evident after tonight.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #49
Administrator

Charlie Askew just fell apart during tonight's performance and the judges were not encouraging. I can't help but think something is going on behind the scenes. Anyway, I really hope he is voted through but he might not be.

I don't really have a favorite yet. It's fun to have two local New Orleans area singers among the top 20.

As for the girls, I hope Zoanette is voted off.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...As for the girls, I hope Zoanette is voted off.
+1 I think her train wrecked last night. Good riddance.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Charlie Askew just fell apart during tonight's performance and the judges were not encouraging. I can't help but think something is going on behind the scenes. Anyway, I really hope he is voted through but he might not be.

I don't really have a favorite yet. It's fun to have two local New Orleans area singers among the top 20.

As for the girls, I hope Zoanette is voted off.
I think Charlie has some obvious emotional issues. I hope he doesn't go over the deep end when voted off tonight.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Great show tonight. I would say that most were outstanding - a couple would be on my time to go list but when we get to the top five or so it is going to be really hard. A lot of talent, especially on the girls side.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #53

Excellent performances last night; the Girls are pulling away.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Excellent performances last night; the Girls are pulling away.
I agree. I don't see any of the guys having a serious career. Maybe the multi lingual guy just because of demographics.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude

I agree. I don't see any of the guys having a serious career. Maybe the multi lingual guy just because of demographics.
I don't think sexual preference ought to be a factor.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #56
Administrator

I am disappointed with the guys too, now that Charlie Askew has been eliminated.

Curtis Finch Jr. wasn't outstanding last night, IMO, but in previous performances I thought he was pretty good.

Our local New Orleans contestant, Burnell Taylor, is getting some local coverage and he is "the real deal". He seems like one of those people who grew up under less than ideal circumstances and has had little to no opportunity in life, but he has still managed to make the best of it. I think he is pretty talented too, but maybe his talent needs a few years before he is ready for AI.

I don't have a favorite yet although I did enjoy listening to most of the contestants.

Edited to add: A surprise sing-off with Charlie Askew! His rendition of "My Sky Blue Diamond" (his own song) was beautiful!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #57

Has anybody loaded and used the AI mobile app? I loaded it but when it said it would post in my name to a social networking site I decided not to use it. It seems as though it has the potential to skew the vote with the one click 50 vote option. People who use the phone for voting will be at a disadvantage IMO.
I wonder what the shows execs are thinking.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #58

They're probably thinking that most of the audience they concern themselves the most about has smartphones or tablets.

The Voice actually has the most logical voting approach: Considering paid iTunes downloads more heavily.

Since the music business is a business, and the prize is a recording contract, it would make most sense to me to make the whole voting system 100% a reflection of viewer purchases of downloads. I wouldn't get a vote, but that would be fine.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

The Voice actually has the most logical voting approach: Considering paid iTunes downloads more heavily.

Since the music business is a business, and the prize is a recording contract, it would make most sense to me to make the whole voting system 100% a reflection of viewer purchases of downloads. I wouldn't get a vote, but that would be fine.
I wonder who gets the Itunes royalty when a judge/mentor has his contestant sing one of their songs. Blake Shelton seemed to do that many times with his or his wife's music. As Randy would say, "Just saying man, you know".
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Heard Candice might do the Cure's "Love Song" tomorrow night. Might be brilliant. Adele did a great cover of this song: