American Idol

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, I'll admit it. I got hooked because so many of my former coworkers watched. Now my mom's hooked too. DH grins and bears it but does watch with me. So, who's watching tonight's first show of the season? I know, it's pretty lame, but at least it's a distraction from the stock market and politics.

I'll watch it but i'm one of the only people I know who actualy like the competition part of it more than the first few weeks that are just to make fun of all the bad singers.

Been there done that The Gong show back in the 70s, Don't find whats the thrill with it.

In addition not a fan of the type of music here.

I'm an addict. DW is too so we'll definitely be watching. I totally agree with aaron. I think the first few episodes are amusing but I tire of them quickly and I prefer watching the actual competition.

My 91 year old Mom got me hooked on these shows but I'm reading a good book so I'll probably pass tonight .

Am idol fan also.... I like the beginning not only just to laugh at the bad singers but see the rare folks with true talent. Like zMrelinda Doolittle, or Paris Bennett of a couple of season ago.

I think the bad singers in the first few shows are really boring. Maybe funny once - maybe. But over and over? No thanks. But I guess people like it enough for them to keep doing it. Plus, they are obviously planted. Thousands of people show up, there is no way the three judges can listen to them all. They have people do a first level screening. They put a few 'colorful' ones through for 'entertainment'.

But I do like hearing the truly talented people. It's interesting to see some of them develop as they go on, and sing a range of songs.

-ERD50

I think that was one of the dullest idols every. The bad people other than old man moses guy weren't even funny, and nobody great. yawn...

I think that was one of the dullest idols every. The bad people other than old man moses guy weren't even funny, and nobody great. yawn...

I don't know the Janis Joplin chick and the Star Wars chick were pretty funny.........:D

I thought it was interesting how far folks traveled. San Diego, Omaha, Dallas, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, and Phillie. So why did someone come from LA, and another from Oregon?

I thought it was interesting how far folks traveled. San Diego, Omaha, Dallas, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, and Phillie. So why did someone come from LA, and another from Oregon?

Because people are making a lot of money off this show. Carrie Underwood dropped out of college and drove 500 miles to audition and now she's quickly approaching 8 figure net worth at age 24. Actually she may already be there.

You may have missed my question. Why when there are auditions in San Diego would some one fly to Philly from LA. Or from Portland to Philly when Dallas or La would be cheaper? If there was some sort of evidence that Philly contestants have a better chance of winning or that the first ones chosen fair better than those in LA I could understand it. I don't think there is.

I left out part of the first post. The cities listed, San Diego, Omaha, Dallas, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, and Philly are where the try outs are this year.

You may have missed my question. Why when there are auditions in San Diego would some one fly to Philly from LA. Or from Portland to Philly when Dallas or La would be cheaper? If there was some sort of evidence that Philly contestants have a better chance of winning or that the first ones chosen fair better than those in LA I could understand it. I don't think there is.

I left out part of the first post. The cities listed, San Diego, Omaha, Dallas, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, and Philly are where the try outs are this year.

Good question. Does anybody know what percentage of people that show up actually get in front of the judges? I heard that there are initial screeners, and no people go to several audition sites.

The no R rated movie girl from Oregon was quite good, and of course being tall and pretty helps a lot.

Wasn't the No R rated girl from LA the Oregon woman sold her horse to get there. She was also the 'Cage fighter'

Wasn't the No R rated girl from LA the Oregon woman sold her horse to get there. She was also the 'Cage fighter'

I think the No R rated girl was the gorgeous girl with long blonde hair with lots of permy curls, who was the last one of the day.

The Cage fighter with the horse had straighter, slightly darker hair and might have been a better singer (though the No R rated girl really had a lot of charisma and stage presence, I thought).

You guys are right I had the cage fighter/horse girl and No R Rated girls locations mixed up.

I am still curious why people travel and or go to multiple audition sites... Anybody know?

More idol question. I missed/didn't watch much of the first 3 seasons.

Since then my favorite idols are Paris Bennett, Taylor Hicks, and Melinda Doolittle. I found Kellie Pickering(sp) a lot of fun do watch and Katherine McPhee was the prettiest contestant who could actually sing.

Who are other peoples favorites?

i like watching to catch the "good ones" from the beginning. i think some of the bad ones are disturbing and they should try to weed out the folks who are simply delusioned about the talent vs. the ones who seem "not all there"...but i guess there is a thin line...

OK, tonight's show from Dallas has some interesting folks. How about that guy with the feathery silver outfit who dedicated his performance to Simon? I'm guessing the next installment from San Diego may have some unique singers too.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I like the show. However, it's starting to make me feel old. :duh:

OK, tonight's show from Dallas has some interesting folks. How about that guy with the feathery silver outfit who dedicated his performance to Simon? I'm guessing the next installment from San Diego may have some unique singers too.

"I am your brother!"

That was very funny.

Back
Top Bottom