Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I predict disaster for many of the contestants, especially those raised in a big city. It's not easy to pull off a slow tempo country torch song without being compared - unfavorably - to the original.

Best strategy for those who don't have an ear for the right amount of "twang"? Pick a little-known song with a memorable title.

Something like:
  • Mama Get A Hammer (There's A Fly On Daddy's Head)
  • If The Phone Don't Ring, You'll Know It's Me
  • I Wake Up Every Morning Just To Say Goodnight to You
  • I'm So Miserable Without You; It's Like Having You Here
  • How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
Predictions: country boy Sarver will sail through this week. Adam will be dressed like Porter Waggoner and get a "it didn't work for me, dawg" comment from Randy. Guitar guy (can't remember his name) will be in the bottom group. Megan takes my advice and sails through on the strength of her touching rendition of "You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
I predict disaster for many of the contestants, especially those raised in a big city. It's not easy to pull off a slow tempo country torch song without being compared - unfavorably - to the original.

Best strategy for those who don't have an ear for the right amount of "twang"? Pick a little-known song with a memorable title.

Something like:
  • Mama Get A Hammer (There's A Fly On Daddy's Head)
  • If The Phone Don't Ring, You'll Know It's Me
  • I Wake Up Every Morning Just To Say Goodnight to You
  • I'm So Miserable Without You; It's Like Having You Here
  • How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
Predictions: country boy Sarver will sail through this week. Adam will be dressed like Porter Waggoner and get a "it didn't work for me, dawg" comment from Randy. Guitar guy (can't remember his name) will be in the bottom group. Megan takes my advice and sails through on the strength of her touching rendition of "You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly".
You have a future writing snarky reviews of TV shows.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
You have a future writing snarky reviews of TV shows.
... or as Simon's scriptwriter.

Hey, he can't possibly come up with all of those comments on his own!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Adam will be dressed like Porter Waggoner and get a "it didn't work for me, dawg" comment from Randy.
The thought of Adam dressed up like Porter Waggoner is hysterical
But who knows? Adam did say "hair, makeup and wardrobe" were his best friends in a recent interview:

Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The thought of Adam dressed up like Porter Waggoner is hysterical
But who knows? Adam did say "hair, makeup and wardrobe" were his best friends in a recent interview:

Adam has talent, but the oversinging has got to stop, the USA has PLENTY of head bangers, we don't need another Quiet Riot or Metallica........

If Danny Gokey picks the rigth country song, he'll make Paula cry.......

I think I am in the minority, but I like Kara.....plus, she's way hotter than Paula........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Adam has talent, but the oversinging has got to stop, the USA has PLENTY of head bangers, we don't need another Quiet Riot or Metallica........

I think I am in the minority, but I like Kara.....plus, she's way hotter than Paula........
It is a bit scary how much we agree on Idol FD, especially about Kara.

At the beginning of the year, I predicted that Paula would by gone from Idol at the end of the year. (This was before I even knew that a 4th judge was going to be added to the show) I think 4 is an awkward number of judges, and Kara actually has intelligent comments and looks great making them. Of course my other prediction is Dow 12,200.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have high hopes for Danny tonight. He has a wonderful voice and could really do very well. It's all about song choice. I would pick one of those wonderful county heartbeakers for Danny. Might have me in tears along with Paula.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #68

I really liked Megan's "Rockin Robin". Don't understand why anyone would dislike it! She sings very well.

Also, I LOVE Allison! What a powerhouse in a 16 yr old. She can even sing country. Both young women are totally original.

Almost all the others are so conventional and really fit neatly into a pedictable niche: The Motown singer, the backstreet guy, the rocker. OMG, Adam can sing but is so theatrical. I think his hair is awful too. I hope he leaves soon.

***Actually, I changed my mind about Adam tonight. I really liked the way he sang "ring of fire" , weird and very contemporay!

Anoop Dog! He was fabulous, singing the Willie Nelson song "You were always on my mind," a great song. I think he's going to be one of my favorites now. Anoop!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #69

Well, tonight's country show wasn't the complete train wreck I feared. A few performances were quite good, but several were really weak.

Sorry, ladies, but tonight I put Adam firmly in the latter category. Listening to him tonight, I kept thinking of this picture as I wondered what Johnny Cash would have thought...

(edited for family viewing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnny.JPG (12.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Oops, sorry. I missed it again. I had to watch Jurassic Park III for the 5th time, or I'd have been there for sure.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #71
Administrator

Adam pretty much decided he wasn't going to sing in a country style, even though he had to sing a country song. He was very creative. I think he demonstrated that although he is cute, he is bullheaded and not very flexible.

I absolutely loved Anoop and I think he proved himself. I also loved Alexis's version of "Jolene" - - I think the judges were pretty harsh with her and I would have voted for her, though I don't ever vote.

I was pleased and surprised to hear Lil trying so hard to get out of the R&B and sing country, even though she wasn't comfortable with it, but it was almost as though the judges criticized her for trying. They didn't like the first part of the song and weren't happy until she was belting out strongly at the end. But to me, it was a strength that she at least TRIED to sing in a gentler, country style. She tried, Adam did not, and neither one is very flexible but I give her credit for trying.

Danny was very good but not as clearly outstanding as I expected. Still, he was one of the best. Allison was, too!!

I thought Michael Sarver was not among the best. He has GOT to go this time. Ugh. Also, I would have thought that Kris would have done better since he is from Arkansas. I am sure he has heard plenty of country growing up, and could have done better with it.

Overall, I just absolutely enjoy watching American Idol and listening to the contestants sing their hearts out. I could listen to these 11 contestants every night for six months and enjoy every minute of it. They are all terrific.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #72

Adam was horrible. He showed nothing that would give reason for him to continue but I know he won't go anywhere for at least a couple more weeks. Danny was the best. I agree it was a little 'iffy' at first but then he was great. I have to admit Anoop was much improved and one of the best this week. Matt was also quite good. Difficult to predict a bottom 3. I'd guess Allison might be going home with Micheal and Alexis joining him in the bottom 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see Megan or Scott in the bottom 3 either. Tough to predict.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, ladies, but tonight I put Adam firmly in the latter category. Listening to him tonight, I kept thinking of this picture as I wondered what Johnny Cash would have thought...
I'm not so sure Johnny Cash would have hated Adam's version. Johnny was a rebel and not your typical country star at all. I thought about Johnny's last great performance before he passed away - his cover of the Nine Inch Nail's song "Hurt". For anyone not familiar with Nine Inch Nails, suffice it to say they are about as far from Nashville as you can get. Yet Johnny made this song his own and received critical acclaim for his performance of it at the Country Music Awards. Naturally, we will never know, but Johnny may have liked how Adam did the same thing with “Ring of Fire”.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Adam was horrible. He showed nothing that would give reason for him to continue but I know he won't go anywhere for at least a couple more weeks. Danny was the best. I agree it was a little 'iffy' at first but then he was great. I have to admit Anoop was much improved and one of the best this week. Matt was also quite good. Difficult to predict a bottom 3. I'd guess Allison might be going home with Micheal and Alexis joining him in the bottom 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see Megan or Scott in the bottom 3 either. Tough to predict.
I agree about Adam. He was awful. I really, really like Anoop right now. Matt was good, but as usual I seem to also find his performances to be quite forgettable. I don't know why that is. I would really like to see Michael going home. I don't like Megan either, but I suspect she is going to get some sympathy vote due to singing with the flu.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #75

Megan is good looking and an average singer. My question is 'Can she move?'. While most of the others have moved around the stage at some part she comes to the mike, does a robot twist, and sings. Absolutely no stage personality.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Megan is good looking and an average singer. My question is 'Can she move?'. While most of the others have moved around the stage at some part she comes to the mike, does a robot twist, and sings. Absolutely no stage personality.
She can dance for me anytime.......

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #77

Megan looks like a cross between Anna Nicole Smith and Vanna White.

Adam was down right creepy. I wish he stopped making so much noise when he inhales (while singing). He really sometimes sounds to me like a (noisy) woman having s*x or something.

I liked Anoop, Matt(the blues piano player) and Kris (the short guy who usually comes out with a guitar) and Megan. Lil and Sarver were boring.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Adam was down right creepy. I wish he stopped making so much noise when he inhales (while singing). He really sometimes sounds to me like a (noisy) woman having s*x or something.
I guess he's been singing musical theater since he was 10 or 11 years old? 15 years in the business and NO vocal teacher to help him with his breathing? One of the big no-nos with singing is sounding like you're gasping for air when you take a breath........

Anoop is now the "tender dawg"..........

Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I was pleasantly surprised no real train wrecks last night. Although, I am sure that they could have powered the Grand Old Opry (if not all of Nashville) from the energy generated by the Cash family spinning in their graves after Adam's performance.

Anoop was surprisingly good, and I enjoyed Michael's performance a lot, although I don't think either are good enough to survive much longer.
Adam and Lil gave subpar performance, but they are both so good that I am sure they will be in the top 5. Megan's performance didn't wow me, but the dress did. I think she edges out Katherine Mcphee in the all time American Idol beauty contest

My bottom three are Allison, Adam, and Matt, with my prediction of Allison going home.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #80

I agree that they shouldn't have used the save for Alexis. It's too soon and she's too average.