Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2retire,

You remind me of me. I was stuck in the music of the 70's before last years American Idol. I liked the music David Cook sang and ended up going to look for the original sources (Switchfoot, Collective Soul, Bon Jovi, etc.) In most cases I ended up liking what I heard and stumbling on others. I also found a lot of music that David had recorded prior to AI that is really quite good.

You may want to check out myspace. Every musician you can think of seems to have a myspace page. Their pages have full length songs you can listen to (for free!) and it is possible to download some legally. You can set up a player on your own myspace page that plays all of them.

If you make friends with the musicians/bands you like, you get messages when they post new songs. It's fun.

You don't need CD's anymore. You may find an iPod a nice way to make this portable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard they will be choosing songs from the iTunes top 100 next. I'd like to see Adam do "Single Ladies" by Beyonce Lady GaGa will be appearing with David Cook for the results show.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post
Want2retire,

You remind me of me. I was stuck in the music of the 70's before last years American Idol. I liked the music David Cook sang and ended up going to look for the original sources (Switchfoot, Collective Soul, Bon Jovi, etc.) In most cases I ended up liking what I heard and stumbling on others. I also found a lot of music that David had recorded prior to AI that is really quite good.

You may want to check out myspace. Every musician you can think of seems to have a myspace page. Their pages have full length songs you can listen to (for free!) and it is possible to download some legally. You can set up a player on your own myspace page that plays all of them.

If you make friends with the musicians/bands you like, you get messages when they post new songs. It's fun.

You don't need CD's anymore. You may find an iPod a nice way to make this portable.
I should check out myspace, you're right. I am probably the last person in the country to do so! I don't have an iPod yet, either, though I plan to get one at some point. There is much for me to explore, that's for sure.

I was a David Archuleta fan last year, but I enjoy David Cook's music as well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I should check out myspace, you're right. I am probably the last person in the country to do so! I don't have an iPod yet, either, though I plan to get one at some point. There is much for me to explore, that's for sure.

I was a David Archuleta fan last year, but I enjoy David Cook's music as well.
W2R,

In about 226 days, you will have plenty of time to check out myspace, get that iPod and explore
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'd like to see Adam do "Single Ladies" by Beyonce
if Justin Timberlake can do it...

Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
if Justin Timberlake can do it...
...then Adam can! As long as he's looking like this, I'll be happy what ever he sings....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adamsuit.jpg (17.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #127

Who did you like last night?

I was disappointed with most. I did like Kris Allen, Allison (despite the costume), and Adam, sort of. I still have a problem with his overly dramatic performances. My favorite, Megan, is, I fear, on her way out. *sigh*
Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #128
Administrator

I agree that overall, last night was disappointing and not as good a show as the previous two weeks.

My favorite was Allison, with Adam as a closer runner-up. I was surprised and pleased that Adam kept the "new look", but I thought his rendition was kind of same-o same-o though still better than most. Kris was very good too, but he has so little stage presence that he is forgettable even so. Danny was good but it wasn't his best performance and oddly, he seemed to be straining a little to sing some notes.

My bottom three would be Megan (who I think sang off key)(sorry!), Scott (who was OK but just can't seem to sing in the various styles that are themes for each show), and, I dunno, I guess Lil who also hit some notes that were very off key. I was really disappointed with Anoop and Matt, both of whom I normally like a lot. Anoop is right up there with Adam and Danny, for me. But not last night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #129

I don't think Megan sang "off key" in the sense that you mean it , W2R, instead, I think she purposely sang the song in a different key. I actually liked it but it was not a crowd pleaser and not in line with the typical american idol performance. She's a little too odd for the show. I'll be interested to see where she eventually goes IF she's voted off tonight.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I don't think Megan sang "off key" in the sense that you mean it , W2R, instead, I think she purposely sang the song in a different key.
Maybe that's what it was! Anyway, somehow it just didn't click with me. I can see why she has a lot of fans. Really, all nine are pretty good and I would enjoy listening to them all every week for a long time. But if one has to go, I would reluctantly choose Megan.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #131

I think Megan, Anoop, and Matt should be in the bottom 3. I hope Anoop goes because I think he has the least potential of the remaining people. I think Matt will go because he was in the bottom 3 last week when he was really good and this week he was really bad.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I really enjoyed last night . I'm sorry Old Babe but I think Megan is on her way out . Her singing is just okay but her moves are so stiff . They look awkward . My favorites were Allison , Adam and Kris . My votes for the bottom would be Megan ,Anoop , and Scott.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #133
Administrator

Dial Idol has Megan, Anoop, and Allison in the bottom three! Hope they are wrong about Allison.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #134

Quote:
Dial Idol has Megan, Anoop, and Allison in the bottom three! Hope they are wrong about Allison.
I never liked Allison. She did have one really good week but every other performance she has had was average at best IMHO. She's not that good but she's better than Anoop so hopefully he'll go home this week.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #135

Moemg, I think Megan's dance "moves" are charming, they are part of her quirky charm that makes her unique. What makes a new star is uniqueness, as well as talent. IMHO. So much of American Idol is based on creating more of the same.

Anyway, my prediction, for what it's worth ($0?) is that Anoop will go home. Either him or Matt. Megan's fans will come through for her one more time.

Turns out my prediction was worth exactly zip. I think she was ready to go home to her little boy anyway. Bye bye Megan!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #136

Yeah, Megan gone ... :-<

Women aren't doing too good this season... only two left :-O
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Too bad Megan was the best reason to watch the show. Unfortunately she was the worse reason to listen to the show
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Anoop keeps staying alive (barely) :)

I used to watch Anoop perform with the UNC Clefhangers. My DW and I thought he stood out amongst the rest of the A Cappella group. I remember talking with her about how talented he was and we were both hoping he'd be fortunate enough to have a career in music. It's kind of fun "knowing" someone in the competition and seeing him become an instant celeb.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #139
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I used to watch Anoop perform with the UNC Clefhangers. My DW and I thought he stood out amongst the rest of the A Cappella group. I remember talking with her about how talented he was and we were both hoping he'd be fortunate enough to have a career in music. It's kind of fun "knowing" someone in the competition and seeing him become an instant celeb.
I really like Anoop!!! I could listen to him for hours and love every minute of it. He probably won't make it to the finals, and with this high level of competition probably shouldn't, but I really hope he makes it into the top five.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I really like Anoop!!! I could listen to him for hours and love every minute of it. He probably won't make it to the finals, and with this high level of competition probably shouldn't, but I really hope he makes it into the top five.
Yeah, I agree. There's so much talent that I feel like every week I have a new favorite.

I can't imagine standing up there during the elimination nights. All of them look like they're so nervous they're about to puke. There were a few things that Megan did that made me think she was preparing herself for rejection. It must be an enormous let down but at least she made it to the top ten and will be on the summer tour.