Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have only seen about half of AI so far, since Frank and I have been spending a lot of time together lately doing a variety of other things and also I have forgotten to watch a few nights. Unfortunately whenever I am watching it, it seems like there isn't much singing and they are just telling people whether or not they made the cut.

So, I can't yet say who is my favorite but I think this year's talent is amazing (especially the girls), and might be the best yet! Now that most of the culling is done, I will be more interested in watching.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

its now off my watch list. cant stand ellen
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski View Post
its now off my watch list. cant stand ellen
Wow! You are in competition with Ellen? Where can you be seen? You must be very talented.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

You may remember Angela Martin not only because of her vocal talent but because of her string of personal tragedy.

She's auditioned three times for "Idol" and has never made the Top 24. Her daughter is afflicted with a seizure disorder, her father was killed right before Hollywood Week two years ago and her mother went missing this past Christmas (also not too long before Hollywood Week of season 9). There was also a kind-of funny story about Angela watching herself on "Idol" from jail. Angela's good attitude in the face of such hardships is remarkable.

This is what Ellen DeGeneres brings to the American Idol show:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thanks RonBoyd. I missed her on Ellen and enjoyed watching this.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad to hear they they are helping this woman. She certainly has had a lot of bad luck. Thanks for posting this....I don't watch Ellen and didn't realize they were helping her.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

RonBoyd,

Thank you SO MUCH for posting Ellen's youtube. I had no idea Ellen and Kara were doing this for this girl. I was actually really sad when she didn't make it to the top 24 because she is actually a very good singer, better than some who got picked. I guess she didn't get picked because there were other contestents in past seasons who were as good and sounded just like her. She lacked that little something that set her apart from the rest by choosing a different genre of music to sing, or the way she dresses/looks etc.

That's what I noticed this season more than the rest (maybe even in the past seasons but I don't remember.) The judges are leaning more on the potential "star" factor in deciding who should be picked for the top 24. Singing on some of the contestents were mediocre, but they either had a unique (unique or pretty/handsome) physical look about them or a singing style or choice of songs to choose.

Also, did you guys notice that Ellen never gave bad news to the contestents? All judges gave the "you didn't make it" talks, except for her. Maybe when Ellen signed up, she had them put in her contract that she would not be the one to break the bad news? (She didn't participate before Hollywood either, but then, I thought it was because she had other obligations (and not because she didn't want to say No to anybody, but maybe not.) Does anybody know?

Casey James is my favorite so far, amonst others like Chrystal Bowersox and Andrew Garcia.

I liked his singing style/type of music and it was nice to see someone actuallly playing the guitar instead of just playing the chords. And he is cute. (I wouldn't have picked him though by his Bubbly song performance.)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
RonBoyd,

(She didn't participate before Hollywood either, but then, I thought it was because she had other obligations (and not because she didn't want to say No to anybody, but maybe not.) Does anybody know?

Casey James is my favorite so far.
Ellen signed a 3 year contract but she didn't get the job early enough to do the original auditions this year. She will be doing everything the next 2 years.

I agree Casey is the best of the guys so far.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I absolutely agree Simon has been a big part of AI's success. DH and I comment after the performances then sit back to see what Simon says. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

So last year I predicted that Paula would leave the show. I was somewhat surprised that the brought in Ellen cause I think 4 is an awkward number of judges. Plus it cuts in to the already small amount of time that show actually shows singing. (Is it my imagination or is this year the balance is 20% previews what will happen right after the break 30% commercials, 30% drama, 10% judges, and 10% singing?)

This years not as bold prediction is that Simon really will leave next year, they will have one more year of Idol and the ratings will tank and then the viewers will vote Idol off the airwaves.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Argh what happened to American Idol, the boys last night ranged from truly god awful, to almost ok, with vast majority falling into the just plain boring and forgettable.

Ok, maybe expecting an Adam Lambert, David Cook, or Tyler Hicks at this stage of the competition maybe to much, but I'd settle for a Sanjay...or even the crazy guy with the split personality and crazy costumes from last season. If it doesn't get better soon the rating will tank before Simon leaves the show. That was possibly the worse Idol night ever.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Argh what happened to American Idol, the boys last night ranged from truly god awful, to almost ok, with vast majority falling into the just plain boring and forgettable.

Ok, maybe expecting an Adam Lambert, David Cook, or Tyler Hicks at this stage of the competition maybe to much, but I'd settle for a Sanjay...or even the crazy guy with the split personality and crazy costumes from last season. If it doesn't get better soon the rating will tank before Simon leaves the show. That was possibly the worse Idol night ever.
Hey, that one guy (the one that Cara thinks is so hot) actually wasn't bad. Still, I think the girls are better than the guys this year. The opposite was true last year.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

It seems interesting that after 8 years of Idol, the first night of the Top 24, NONE does anything that memorable...............are they not reviewing previous years? The judges are getting cranky...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

So you mean there really is something on tv after football and the weather channel?

I have trouble turning the car satelite radio beyond the 1960's.

heh heh heh - Although I do like the 1970's Rednecks, Whitesocks, and Blue Ribbon Beer.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hey, that one guy (the one that Cara thinks is so hot) actually wasn't bad. Still, I think the girls are better than the guys this year. The opposite was true last year.
I agree Casey James was the best, which makes my point. For at least 50% of the audience (probably more since Idol viewers tend to be woman) a lot of Casey's appeal was his look, and how believable he was singing a love song. I agree with Kara that he was good ear candy, but he wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination.

Once again FD and I agree on Idol not a single memorable performance in the top 24...
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree Casey James was the best, which makes my point. For at least 50% of the audience (probably more since Idol viewers tend to be woman) a lot of Casey's appeal was his look, and how believable he was singing a love song. I agree with Kara that he was good ear candy, but he wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination.

Once again FD and I agree on Idol not a single memorable performance in the top 24...
You're right - - I looked him up on the AI website and his name is Casey James. I thought he was pretty good.

My favorites so far were Siobhan Magnus and Lilly Scott. Some of the others seemed to have real potential and may improve by leaps and bounds as the season progresses and they gain some experience and polish.

At any rate, I am really enjoying this year's show and I am looking forward to finding out who the top 12 will be. If you don't like AI this year, there's always the Olympics....

Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was expecting the Garcia kid to do something like he did in Hollywood week with Paula Abdul's "Straight Up".........then he didn't...........

I know its early, but I don't see any standouts like David Cook or Danny Gokey this year.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Not impressed by anyone in the top 24 so far. My picks for people to go home are:
Girls: Haeley and Lacey. Haeley for sure should be gone. Lacey is one of a few others who could be the 2nd one to go.
Guys: Todrick and Alex. Tim could leave instead of Alex. Casey and Aaron were the best
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Lacey was the worst of the worst, for sure. I cannot sing and I can sing better than her. I liked Casey James the best. I was looking forward to Garcia but he wasn't any good.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The board's been quiet for weeks...

What's missing on Idol this year? My answer - singers who show that they are having fun on stage.

In other news, the director of the Race & Sports Book at the Wynn, released his first round of odds for American Idol Season 9:

Crystal Bowersox, 7 to 2;
Siobhan Magnus, 4 to 1;
Michael Lynche, 7 to 1;
Lee Dewyze, 9 to 1;
Katie Stevens, 10 to 1;
Didi Benami, 12 to 1;
Casey James, 15 to 1;
Andrew Garcia, 18 to 1;
Tim Urban, 25 to 1;
Lacey Brown, 28 to 1;
Aaron Kelly, 40 to 1; and
Paige Miles, 60 to 1.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
The board's been quiet for weeks...

What's missing on Idol this year? My answer - singers who show that they are having fun on stage.
I don't think there's anything missing. Ellen is much better than Paula so there's no problem with the judges. Once Paige, Tim, and Andrew get eliminated the remaining 8 people might be the best top 8 ever in 9 seasons. There's a lot of talent this year.
Some people seem to be having fun on stage. Mike was having fun this last week and I really liked his performance. Casey and Didi also seem to be having a good time up there. I think most of the others are still a little nervous. Crystal, although very talented, needs to lighten up. She always has a frown on her face. I consider Siobhan to be the favorite right now because of Crystal's lack of personality.
I think Andrew still being there is sickening. He is clearly the worst and he's getting votes because of that fact like Sanjaya and Kevin Covais in years past.