Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't think there's anything missing. Ellen is much better than Paula so there's no problem with the judges. Once Paige, Tim, and Andrew get eliminated the remaining 8 people might be the best top 8 ever in 9 seasons. There's a lot of talent this year.
Some people seem to be having fun on stage. Mike was having fun this last week and I really liked his performance. Casey and Didi also seem to be having a good time up there. I think most of the others are still a little nervous. Crystal, although very talented, needs to lighten up. She always has a frown on her face. I consider Siobhan to be the favorite right now because of Crystal's lack of personality.
I think Andrew still being there is sickening. He is clearly the worst and he's getting votes because of that fact like Sanjaya and Kevin Covais in years past.
I disagree........unlike the last couple years, there are no blow your socks off folks.

Gokey, Lambert, and Iraheta have WAY MORE talent than whatever top 3 AI ends up with this year...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
Administrator

Siobhan is fantastic, and is my favorite so far. My second favorite, Lilly Scott, was eliminated two weeks ago.

I am enjoying AI this year. I think this week was a little rough, because they were getting used to the big stage PLUS the Rolling Stones songs apparently presented quite a challenge to those who are oriented more towards ballads. It was amazing how little awareness of beat/rhythm was displayed by some of the top 12 this week.

I don't like Didi, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I disagree........unlike the last couple years, there are no blow your socks off folks.

Gokey, Lambert, and Iraheta have WAY MORE talent than whatever top 3 AI ends up with this year...........
If I forget to comment on Idol, FD can fill in for me. I didn't watch the week before. But I figured this week, with my favorite group of all time, it has to be good right? Wrong.

Siobhan was good as was Crystal. The rest were between boring and down right awful. I wanted to cut the mike, bound and gag, wrap him in burka, and toss Tim Urban, into the Pacific ocean. Sometimes Idol performances bring tears to my eyes, this was the first when an Idol final performance brought tears of anger. I longed for Sanjay.

Let me know if it improves, it is officially off my DVR list. I still have mad love for Kara.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I happen to be getting HBO for a brief period of time, and I caught a terrific documentary.

Afghan Star, a winner at last year Sundance festival, tells the fascinating story of American Idol goes to Afghanistan. American Idol spends a lot of time showing the struggle contestant have to make it on American Idol and the pressure they when the get on the show.

Frankly, nothing any American Idol has been through compares to the struggle an Afghan Star has to go through, and that goes triple for the woman.

Afghan Star, is available on HBO this month, and next month via Netflix.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I have watched American Idol this year and IMO they should send them all home and try again . I've seen better talent at a local Karaoke bar . I do think Ellen is a nice addition .
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg,

I kind of have to agree with you (except for a few good ones.). After going through hundreds of thousands of people, these are the people judges picked?? It's either only lousy singers come to the auditions , or judges did a very poor job picking the final contestants.

But at the same time, when I watch real singers perform live on TV, many of them are really not very good (And I don't just mean Taylor Swift on the last Grammy.) BTW, even some of the really good singers sound terrible on TODAY - probably because they aren't used to singing so early in the morning!

So what does that tell me?? I don't know.
Maybe it's hard to learn a new song in just one week, unless you are very well trained? Maybe all these people are actually pretty good when they happen to pick a song that allows them to stay within their vocal range...?

I really don't know.

It's either I am getting bored with the show (I've been watching since Season 1), or many of the contestants sound pretty terrible this season. And annoyingly, Simon is becoming a softie. I do enjoy Ellen though - she is funny.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Siobhan is fantastic, and is my favorite so far. My second favorite, Lilly Scott, was eliminated two weeks ago.
My view also, though I would throw Crystal into that mix. I also was disappointed to see Lilly Scott go, I thought she had a very unique sound that I wanted to hear more of. Though I can understand that she might not appeal to the 'texting' crowd. Hopefully, she does well within her niche.

Quote:
I don't like Didi, though.
I don't know what to make of her, sometimes I think I kinda like the quirky approach to a song, other times I feel like I could sure do without that.

For the boys, the long hair guitar player that Kara fawns over is very good I think. We'll see.

from clifp:
Quote:
I still have mad love for Kara.
Those 'doe eyes' just melt me. That, and she is super talented ( I listened to some her stuff on her website) and a very good judge for Idol. I think Ellen is a great addition, you just gotta love Ellen, she is so personable and so witty. Paula ( 'well, I love your shoes '), was worse than worthless 99% of the time, IMO. Big improvement.

-ERD50
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #48

When someone like Lee is the 4th best guy, you know it's a good season. Aaron, Mike, and Casey were all very good. None of them were as good as Crystal though. That was one of the best performanes in 9 season of AI. Katie picked a good time to have one of her best nights. She shouldn't be in the bottom 3. The bottom 3 should be Paige, Tim, and Andrew with Paige going home.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When someone like Lee is the 4th best guy, you know it's a good season. Aaron, Mike, and Casey were all very good. None of them were as good as Crystal though. That was one of the best performanes in 9 season of AI. Katie picked a good time to have one of her best nights. She shouldn't be in the bottom 3. The bottom 3 should be Paige, Tim, and Andrew with Paige going home.
I agree with you except Andrew should be going home. Any of those three would be fine, though.

Katie was fantastic!! So was Aaron. I thought Siobhan was good too, as always, and so was Crystal. I think Katie "won the night" for me, though. Finally I understand what the judges meant by her choosing a younger song and seeming younger - - it made a huge difference. For the first time I am not just waiting for Katie to be voted off any more.

Siobhan is still my favorite even though it wasn't her best performance (but it was good!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I agree with you except Andrew should be going home. Any of those three would be fine, though.
I think this was the first week out of the last several where Andrew wasn't the worst. Based on just last night I think Paige should go home but I think Andrew is the worst overall and has the least potential so i'd have no problem at all if he went home.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Missed it this week...busy.........

Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Missed it this week...busy.........
I never watch it live. That's what a DVR is for. Sometimes i'm only an hour behind, sometimes i'm a full day behind but I always get to it eventually.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always embarrased to admit I watch this show. But I'll come out of the closet.

I agree this year the contestants are very weak overall. Crystal and Siobhan are the only consistently good ones. The rest are all very weak. Love Simon. Love Ellen. Randy gets a little tired.

What the heck was Miley Cyrus doing as a 'mentor'. She is 17 for goodness sake. Her advice consisted of helpful comments like 'you were awesome', and the always helpful 'wow, that was great'. Good grief. New rule for congress to take up once it's finished ruining the rest of our lives. Noone allwoed to be a mentor until at least 21 years of age. You have to be drinking age before ever being called a mentor in anything.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

DW bought the new Danny Gokey CD. After listening to it, I realized who really should have won last year. No doubt in my mind that Danny will sell about 20X more CDs than Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, and Allison Iraheta combined........

Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Always embarrased to admit I watch this show. But I'll come out of the closet.

I agree this year the contestants are very weak overall. Crystal and Siobhan are the only consistently good ones. The rest are all very weak. Love Simon. Love Ellen. Randy gets a little tired.

What the heck was Miley Cyrus doing as a 'mentor'. She is 17 for goodness sake. Her advice consisted of helpful comments like 'you were awesome', and the always helpful 'wow, that was great'. Good grief. New rule for congress to take up once it's finished ruining the rest of our lives. Noone allwoed to be a mentor until at least 21 years of age. You have to be drinking age before ever being called a mentor in anything.
I tried watching for about 15 minutes but Miley as mentor was too awful. I like the must be 21 and over to be an AI mentor.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I was glad to see Sibobhan go home . She has talent but that sreaming at the end got annoying .
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #57

I DVR American Idol too and fast forward through everything but the singing. And I FF through some of that too. I've given up watching the results show and look online after the east coast program airs.

Speaking about previous contestants, I liked Adam Lambert while on AI but not really when he's doing his own stuff. Maybe it's the flamboyant part of him that turns me off. He kept a lower profile while on TV, but maybe the show required that.

I hope Crystal wins, however I wonder if that lifestyle of AI winner is really suited to her. I know she needs the money, but I think she might end up unhappy in that role. Guess we shall see.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was glad to see Sibobhan go home . She has talent but that sreaming at the end got annoying .
I agree. I think she has better vocals than most of the other contestants but i've been tired of the screaming since the second time she did it several weeks ago. With everyone doing well this week I was glad it was her going home.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #59

After the performance on Tuesday, I felt Sibobhan would go since her performance was terrible, with or without the screaming at the end (which was getting annoying). Nothing new or exciting with her last several performances really.

I want Mike to go next (his singing does nothing for me).
Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree I like Sibobhan, but she did not find herself during the show :-(