Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I love to listen to Crystal too! Forgive me if this one has been posted before, but this is amazing (her at 13):

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think Crystal is considerably more talented. However, I think Lee's fan base has grown a lot for some reason over the last few weeks and will likely win.
At this point I think it really doesn't matter who wins. In the past, it seems like frequently those who came in second or third ended up becoming more famous than the winner. I don't know why, but perhaps this is because the winner has so many obligations other than making records. At any rate, Crystal, Lee, and probably Casey too, now have huge opportunities to follow their dreams.

But for the record, I think Crystal blew Lee away last night. Lee was fantastic last week but his performances last night were not as good IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They both will get record deals............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think Crystal is considerably more talented. However, I think Lee's fan base has grown a lot for some reason over the last few weeks and will likely win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But for the record, I think Crystal blew Lee away last night. Lee was fantastic last week but his performances last night were not as good IMO.
Agreed. I don't get the excitement over Lee (and he is from this general area, so there are a lot of fans around here). My wife really likes him, I don't get it. He seems 'adequate' to me. It's not like he has much range, or can hold a note - I really don't see much in the way of technical ability. He sings 'nice' though - about all I can say, and IMO, not enough to win. The judges keep telling him to 'give it more' - it seems obvious by now that there is no more 'more' there - I doubt he is holding back and coasting in the most important performances of his life. If he could dish out 'more', he would have by now.

Crystal is talented. Does she represent the best that there is out there? I don't think she is all that great (but very, very good indeed). But performance wise, IMO she left old Lee in the dust - wasn't even a competition. But that doesn't mean much, the number of texts/minute will decide the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yes, I love to listen to Crystal too! Forgive me if this one has been posted before, but this is amazing (her at 13):
Wow! Thanks, had not seen that before. Her talent really shines through, even at age 13.

-ERD50
Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I like Bowersox a whole bunch and don't care for Kris Kristopherson much at all, but listen to this clip of him doing a demo of the Bobby McGee song he wrote for sale to other artists. Think maybe the American Idols have a way to go to match some of the real artists out there.
"Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends: The Demos 1968-72" by Kris Kristofferson - LimeWire Store
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, for me, tonight wrapped AI up for me. I won't watch it next year. Two reasons:
1. I don't think they will be able to replace Simon
2. Tonight proved it is a popularity contest not a talent contest
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Well, for me, tonight wrapped AI up for me. I won't watch it next year.
Tonight proved it is a popularity contest not a talent contest
That was first proven in season 2 then multiple times afterward. Nothing new. I'll still watch.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #88
Administrator

I don't watch it for the contest aspects, and I don't watch it to hear the judges' banter. I watch American Idol because I enjoy listening to the music.

I'll continue to watch it next year.

Edited to add: Well, I'll amend that - - I wouldn't enjoy it if all the contestants left sounded like William Hung, so in that sense the contest aspects matter to me. And when someone I like is eliminated I do miss listening to their music a lot. But at the end like this, who cares? Both finalists will get record contracts and will have all the opportunities in the world.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I watch American Idol because I enjoy listening the music.
Try an iPod - better music, fewer commercials.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #90
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Try an iPod - better music, fewer commercials.
But it's not live semi-amateurs! You don't get the thrill of knowing that the contestant could accidently upchuck all over his shoes in front of the entire country when his mouth opens to hit that high note....

OK, I enjoy HIGH RISK music.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But it's not live! You don't get the thrill of knowing that the contestant could accidently upchuck all over his shoes when his mouth opens to hit that high note....
Heh, you need to tune into Nascar if you watch for the chance to see a crash.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Heh, you need to tune into Nascar if you watch for the chance to see a crash.
Oh poo, no music there.

American Idol is a modern-day substitute for the Ed Sullivan Show. Remember when Elvis, and later the Beatles, first showed up on Ed Sullivan? Pretty doggone exciting. We knew that everything depended on how well they did that one night.

Well the idol contestants are a little more amateurish and they get a few "re-do"s if they don't blow it too badly, but both shows were live performances. Equal opportunities to completely lose it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Not surprised that Lee won even though, IMHO, Crystal is much better. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I can’t see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms. I’m assuming most of America knew Adam was gay and his “coming out” interview in Rolling Stone was not a big shocker.

Don't even get me started on Chris Daughtry - I mean really - Taylor Hicks?

*steps off of soapbox*

Seriously though, while last night's finale had a few moments, it couldn’t compare to season 8’s final blast off. The brothers Gibb and Chicago? Plus, am I the only one who found it painful to watch Joe Cocker? On the plus side, Janet Jackson was fascinating to watch and it was fun to see many of the former contestants back on the big stage.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I canít see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms. Iím assuming most of America knew Adam was gay and his ďcoming outĒ interview in Rolling Stone was not a big shocker.

I was just thinking the same thing last night . Since I've always lived in a more liberal area I am shocked that people would not vote for a single Mom or a gay man when they should obviously be the winners .
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #95
gone traveling

Quote:
Not surprised that Lee won even though, IMHO, Crystal is much better. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I canít see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms.
DW watched it; her response when they announced Lee as the winner was "it's the revenge of the nerds!"
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was just thinking the same thing last night . Since I've always lived in a more liberal area I am shocked that people would not vote for a single Mom or a gay man when they should obviously be the winners .
Lately, the TEENS of America are having the say...........they are doing all the texting and phone calling. Being older, I like Crystal better. But, Lee obviously got the teenie girl vote, much like David Cook and Kris Allen of years past.

Daughtry is incredible. I remember how surprised he was to take 4th, but Taylor Who and Katherine What haven't set the world on fire.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Plus, am I the only one who found it painful to watch Joe Cocker?

Nope - and I have to lump Alice Cooper in there too.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Lately, the TEENS of America are having the say...........they are doing all the texting and phone calling. Being older, I like Crystal better. But, Lee obviously got the teenie girl vote, much like David Cook and Kris Allen of years past.

Daughtry is incredible. I remember how surprised he was to take 4th, but Taylor Who and Katherine What haven't set the world on fire.........
Yeah, I think you're right about the teens. Daughtry is incredible - should have won it for sure. Biggest Idol shocker of them all....

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #99

WOW WOW WOW.

I just listened to Crystal sing when she was 13 (Thanks CJ!) on youtube, and she is amazingly good.

I guess when you are talented, you are talented. Born with it, ya know. I am glad they discovered her.