Join Early Retirement Today

American Idol
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

American Idol

The new season starts tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing the show again. I'll miss Paula's oddball remarks, but look forward to seeing how Ellen does. Anyone else planning to tune in this season?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I always watch it......I like he first couple weeks because of all the bizarre contestants that are tone-deaf.

I don't mind Ellen, but does she know anything abot music?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Administrator

I can't wait!!! I LOVE American Idol and I can/will watch every bit of it. Unlike FD above, I don't like the first weeks but once they are down to their top dozen or so I am in heaven because they are ALL good.

As for Ellen, she is entertaining but I will miss Paula a lot.

I am very distressed that this might be Simon's last season but at least he will be participating this year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't like the first weeks but once they are down to their top dozen or so I am in heaven because they are ALL good.
Me too W2R. I also enjoy sharing the show with family and friends. My mom always watches and we often call each other during commercials to discuss what just happened. We have a lot of fun with it! The show sure helps cheer me up during the winter months. I really need it this year after all the cold and snowy weather we've had here in Virginia.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Gotta say I'm with FD on this one....I like the crazies........after they're gone, I get bored with the show.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be watching too. I think Ellen will add a nice touch to the program, though I can't see it lasting without Simon. Guess we'll see what happens.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

The show will be challenged without Simon but if you've seen America's Got Talent, with Pierce Morgan, he has a similar "take no prisoners" attitude to Simon. If they replace Simon with someone who tells it like it is, I don't think they will have a problem.
We love the show and try to guesss who will be eliminated and who will make it through. By the end, they are all great. Too bad they have to pick just one.
Paula was worthless. Her comments were insipid. She was always trying to be nice.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Me too. I look forward to this season every year (I've been watching it since the middle of Season 1), but this year, I am especially looking forward to hearing what Ellen has to say. I hope she was involved in the auditioning process too (one clip I saw didn't have Ellen at the judges table. Does anybody know?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If American idol goes away next year, that's ok. I mean, they're paying Ryan Seacrest about $15 million or so to host it? That is a joke............ Without Simon, the show isn't worth watching.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If American idol goes away next year, that's ok. I mean, they're paying Ryan Seacrest about $15 million or so to host it? That is a joke............ Without Simon, the show isn't worth watching.........
I absolutely agree Simon has been a big part of AI's success. DH and I comment after the performances then sit back to see what Simon says. It just wouldn't be the same without him.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Gotta say I'm with FD on this one....I like the crazies........after they're gone, I get bored with the show.

Maybe Im weird. But I enjoy the first few times where the show the people who don't quite have it But then as it goes on not so much. I enjoyed it the first 2 years but now not so much.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #12

I've watched every episode of every season and this one will be no different. I think Ellen will be a good replacement judge. She won't be as nice as Paula. She'll tell the truth without sugar-coating it like Paula but she won't be mean like Simon. She'll also add some comic relieve which is always nice. She doesn't have the music background like the others but she'll be a good representative of the general Idol fan. She doesn't start until hollywood week though. Ellen said she would leave the show if Simon does. I don't know if she was serious but if she is then next season should be interesting...if there is a next season.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I hear that AI is quite a popular show, but from what I have seen, I don't get it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My favorite so far:

Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry I missed it. The crazies are my best part, because it's so interesting to see how self-deluded people can be.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Gotta love "pants on the ground"

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
Gotta love "pants on the ground"
I LOVED this
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We now have the top 24. Any early favorites? So far, I'm really liking Crystal Bowersox:

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
We now have the top 24. Any early favorites? So far, I'm really liking Crystal Bowersox:
The girls are far better than the guys this year. Crystal is probably better than 10 of the 12 guys but may not make the top 6 girls. Some of the top girls include: Dedi, Katie Stevens, Janell, and Charity. Top guys are probably Casey and Big Mike. Some people seem to like Garcia but i've seen nothing to like with him.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The girls are far better than the guys this year. Crystal is probably better than 10 of the 12 guys but may not make the top 6 girls. Some of the top girls include: Dedi, Katie Stevens, Janell, and Charity. Top guys are probably Casey and Big Mike. Some people seem to like Garcia but i've seen nothing to like with him.
Here's a link for those who, like me, can't remember who's who this early on:

Top 24 - Season 9 - Contestants - American Idol

As far as the guys, I like John Park. I don't think he'll make it really far but his voice has a very nice quality.