Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Americans have fewer friends....
Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Americans have fewer friends....

I kind of knew this. I think this is one reason work has become so important to some people and for the associations they make.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/06/23...eut/index.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Americans have fewer friends....
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I kind of knew this.* I think this is one reason work has become so important to some people and for the associations they make.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/06/23...eut/index.html
What if the reason that Americans have fewer friends is because they spend too much time at work?

Maybe "less work" = "more friends".

Like Larry Miller's "your friends-- your unemployed friends..."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...t-friends.html

Says its work and the internets fault.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
Says its work and the internets fault.
Hey, the Vanguard Diehards have had annual reunions for at least five years.

What if all of us on this board are each other's close friends?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Then the studies are correct!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My thought is so what, who cares?* Speaking for myself, I have always felt like I have exactly as many friends as i want to have.* *Making new friends and melting ice are about the same difficulty, IMO.

Friends are overrated. Ive seen logevity studies that actually give you a few years for having more friends. I laugh at that because too many people around me actually stresses me. I prefer being by myself most of the time.

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure you get what you want most of the time
Old 06-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting that as the USA hit 300 million people in a few days the number of friends declines. I think it is due to some of the things people have already mentioned:
Time spent at work
Time spent commuting
Moving away from and the breakdown of the extended family
Antisocial and mind robbing diversions - Television; internet

The implications of having fewer friends has mico and macro implications. On a personnel level it might be seen in the increase medications for "personality" "disorders" and mental health problems. With friend and the associcated interaction these disorders might not rise to the level that interfear with other social interations.

On a maro level fewer friends infer a weaker link with the society as a whole for the individual. Without a link or a weaker link to society we get things like "reality shows" people do no feel that they have a social structure they care about or want to belong to so they have no shame. On a larger scale; in a time a crisis will people who are not connected to society make sacrifieces for that society or contribute to its well being beyond what the laws dictate? I doubt it. Think about World War II and rationing - yes there were laws but it worked because people followed the rules and made individual efforts for the good of their friends and family. Or think about the great depression - the pain was releived a bit by people helping people in small ways because they knew and identified with those in need.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just this morning (well, at 11:30) a friend from grade school woke me up to tell me how it's raining so much in the northeast that he can't get the boat out. i never made it to the phone to commiserate (blame his boat's combustion engine for causing global warming which creates the rain that's preventing him from enjoying his boat), but i'll return his call later when i'm not feeling quite so cynical.

i had lots of friends growing up. probably a tight group of 10 or 15 within a loser group of 40. grew up in small town. our 30-year class reunion last thanksgiving brought about 90 of us, about 70% of our class. everyone had a great time.

i was a latchkey kid, both parents worked during day and were gone many a long weekend. so our house was the party house. sometimes my brother's party would coincide with mine. a few times we had 40 to 60 people--some we didn't even know--show up. it was a very fun time. from that period i still have 3 good friends who i talk to on a regular basis and many others who i enjoy when i see them every so often even now.

also had a ton of friends in college and after that. i had moved to florida with my parents in the mid 70s. my house again became the party house. and then college was, of course, a blast. boy did i have fun. after college, back in south florida, a gay bar opened in town and a group of about 20 of us became regular partying friends. that was in the 80s and i still have 2 very good friends from that.

my niece/nephews don't have the social structure i had when i was growing up. my high school had 700 people in the entire school. now they have up to 3,000 kids and the siblings go to different "magnet" schools. how do you ever get to know even your school friends among all that.

the neighborhoods are different here. the times, i suppose or at least they say, are different. when i grew up we walked everywhere. you didn't think anything of going across town to visit friends. my brother's kids are only driven. they have a few friends in sameville (their "perfect" housing development neighborhood where every house has the same setbacks, same roof, same colors, same pool).

so their kids don't have the opportunities to make friends like we did. also, my brother, remembering what a delinquent he was, doesn't let his kids get away with our childhood fun. his kids aren't even allowed to have friends in the house when parents are not there as well. i don't know how they will cope later in life. maybe they will let loose and go nuts or get stuck in their shell. hopefully they will be ok.

i have quality friends now but not by a long shot the quantity of friends i used to enjoy. i've tired of entertaining. i no longer have the inclination to clean up after an impromptu gathering of 20 of us so that my parents wouldn't even suspect we'd just trashed the house.

i've lost some very dear friends to death and others to life. i've found some friends good only for fair weather and others who call when it rains. i very much enjoy my alone time but i sometimes think it would have been nice to have someone to retire with. and i don't yet know what it will be like to travel alone.

but i have survived well the loss of those who i grew closest too. my partner, my best friend, my parents, my grandparents, my favorite uncle, many various others. and i have come to learn that regardless of how many friends we have and for how long we keep them or how close we get to them, we really are, ultimately, as has been said, ships passing in the night.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I say it's about quality and not quantity. I've got great friends that I talk to maybe once or twice a year but if I need something they are always there ready to help. For example, I had a really good friend who was in the 82nd Airborne call me up out of the blue and he was telling me how his mom and brother were wiped out by hurricane Katrina. Without hesitation, I told him we would send some money and if he passed through our town on the way down there we would fill his truck up with supplies. It's not about a bunch of friends for the sake of having them, but it's about helping those that mean a lot to you. Those are far and few in between.