Americans Use Electronic Media 11+ Hours A Day

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm sure we're all over the place relative to this chart. Just a single data point - but I watch more time shifted TV than live and I almost never listen to radio any more, not even in my car. I wish the chart was even more current, but the best I could find.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 26
I watch more time shifted TV than live and I almost never listen to radio any more, not even in my car.

Exactly the same here. Also, I'm way above the average shown on the chart for "Internet on a PC". For me that's easily 3+ hours/day.

What is Netflix, does that also fall into the category of live TV? or is that time-shifted TV?

For me, Internet on a PC is the maximum, I am guessing 3 hours. Followed by Netflix, 1 hour. NPR Radio in car 20-30 minutes. Smartphone usage may be 10 minutes. Real live TV is near zero; I can't stand the advertisements. These are just estimates.

I find it hard to believe the average American is watching nearly 5 hours of live TV every day.

I find it hard to believe the average American is watching nearly 5 hours of live TV every day.

I'm a bit skeptical of that, too. Aren't DVRs standard issue now with pretty much every cable and satellite service? How could the average amount of live TV watching be 5 hours/day, even in 2014?

Interesting chart. I think the time of smart phone usage might be a little on the low side. When I am out and about, I would almost believe that these things are REQUIRED to sustain life. As for me, I watch about 1.5 hours of TV and am online (tablet or PC) for about 2 hours a day...smart phone usage is minimal. Outside of checking on my Dad everyday (about 10 minutes) I rarely use it for anything else and usually stays plugged in the wall.

I agree it's hard to know what they consider live TV, and what they consider time shifted TV. I'd consider live to be literally that, and anything on a DVR and any subscription streaming service (like Netflix) to be time shifted - but I wasn't able to find more detail.

At least half of my network TV viewing is from our DVR, and I watch YouTube and other "subscription" services as much if not more often than network TV. YMWV

As much as DVRs are pretty much standard equipment these days, it is remarkable how much live television many people still do watch. I think there will always be people who will put up with commercials. (Better be... otherwise the system will collapse in on itself.)

I wonder does this survey include the 2hrs each middle of the night I'm surfing with my smartphone? :D

They know when you've been sleeping. They know when you're awake. They know if you've been bad or good.

Unless I'm stuck somewhere away from home I don't use smartphone that much. What amazes me is that based on what is being advertised, there is a big market for live streaming TV/video on...smartphones. Really? I cannot imagine spending any time at all looking at the little screen other than read a few emails, maybe watch a u tube video for 30 seconds.

If I'm on the net (similar to others, up to three hours a day) it's going to be on laptop or pc. Have a tablet I hardly use because I find the keyboard unfriendly.

What amazes me is that based on what is being advertised, there is a big market for live streaming TV/video on...smartphones. Really? I cannot imagine spending any time at all looking at the little screen other than read a few emails, maybe watch a u tube video for 30 seconds.
+1. I don't get it either. But with so many people apparently clamoring for unlimited data mobile plans - evidently a lot of people are doing everything, including video streaming, on their phones (and tablets). We use our smartphones a lot, but rarely to watch video, and we've only gone over 1GB in one month over the past 5+ years.

I'm at 5 or so hours per day live tv. I have the tv on in my workshop when I'm out there. Sometimes all day. I only watch bits and pieces though. At night I'll multitask live or time-shifted tv with internet on iPad for a few hours. Internet on pc maybe 2 hours per week. Very little radio - only when driving. Maybe an hour a day on phone - almost all texting and internet. Don't have a DVD/ blue ray or game console.

Just a note, people multitask some of those things, so it's not really 11 hrs/day. For instance, people sometimes fiddle with their smartphones while they're watching TV.

People spend almost 3 hrs a day listening to the radio? Huh.

I spend several hours a day on the internet, so I'm higher than average in that regard. I watch no TV and I'm rarely on my average-intelligence phone, so I'm way below average in those regards, happily (cutting out TV had a huge impact on my day-to-day experience of life). I probably play videogames an hour a day, so I'm above average there. I enjoy electronic media, but it can definitely take over and suck up way too much time.

Back
Top Bottom