5. Modesto, CA
6. Flint, MI
7. Detroit, MI
8. Buffalo, NY
9. Miami, FL
10. St. Louis, MO

Full article here: America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They didn't include New Orleans, probably because it is so much smaller since Katrina that they think it doesn't even qualify as a city.

No complaints here - - I'm outta here as soon as I can manage it, after ER.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
They didn't include New Orleans, probably because it is so much smaller since Katrina that they think it doesn't even qualify as a city.

No complaints here - - I'm outta here as soon as I can manage it, after ER.
I wondered the same thing. On a recent visit to NO, I sensed things were getting worse, not better. Everyone seemed resigned to leaving.

Wonder if funding for recovery is part of the bailout?
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
I wondered the same thing. On a recent visit to NO, I sensed things were getting worse, not better. Everyone seemed resigned to leaving.

Wonder if funding for recovery is part of the bailout?
I don't know. Even with funding, it will take a long time so I don't think New Orleans will be on any "Top 10 Cities" lists in the near future.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
As a SE Michigan Resident...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

As a SE Michigan Resident...

I really think that Flint and Detroit richly deserve to be ranked 1 & 2 worst cities. Am optimist at heart, I am a realist about these places being the 13th level of Hell!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think they are putting a premium on the unemployment rate right now. They also mention long, horrible commutes. Stockton qualifies on both counts, as well as a crashing housing market.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every person I met who has lived in Chicago loved it. Probably doesn't belong on the list.

Free
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think they are putting a premium on the unemployment rate right now. They also mention long, horrible commutes.
Exactly.

I lived in St. Louis (Ballwin) for eight years and would move back there again.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Chicago has been going down the tubes for a long time now with no end in sight I've lived here my whole life and I plan on getting out soon...
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Every person I met who has lived in Chicago loved it. Probably doesn't belong on the list.

Free
If you are young, single, and don't care too much about your personal freedoms Chicago is a fun place to live.

I find it miserable.

1. The weather sucks, period.
2. The taxes suck, property, sales, you name it. We have the highest sales tax in the nation.
3. Traffic is terrible, but that's not unique.
4. A culture of political corruption so deep that not even our US Attorney can believe it, or break it

The food is really good so that's a plus, and we have the Bears.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If you are young, single, and don't care too much about your personal freedoms Chicago is a fun place to live.

I find it miserable.

1. The weather sucks, period.
2. The taxes suck, property, sales, you name it. We have the highest sales tax in the nation.
3. Traffic is terrible, but that's not unique.
4. A culture of political corruption so deep that not even our US Attorney can believe it, or break it

The food is really good so that's a plus, and we have the Bears.
Of course, if you love foie gras you're in Hell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Of course, if you love foie gras you're in Hell.
Not any more, the ban was lifted
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've lived in two of them: Stockton and Detroit.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not any more, the ban was lifted
Ah. Guess the city got tired of declining revenue from taxes paid by restaurants. I hadn't heard they repealed that.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
I really think that Flint and Detroit richly deserve to be ranked 1 & 2 worst cities. Am optimist at heart, I am a realist about these places being the 13th level of Hell!
I agree. Why can't we get no disrespect?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but it's turned into a nice export business. We have it to spare and others are eager to pay dearly for it!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

While Miami has it's issues, I don't think of it as a miserable place. I used to live about 3 hours away and have spend some enjoyable time there. And besides, Miami will always be cool thanks to Miami Vice. It would suck there if you're extremely impoverished, but so would anywhere.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

They could save ink and just name Stockton 10 times. Nothing could be even remotely close to that place.

Ha
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
They could save ink and just name Stockton 10 times. Nothing could be even remotely close to that place.

Ha
It wasn't all that bad 35 years ago.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
it's not big enough to qualify, but the most depressing, soul-sucking God-forsaken place I've ever been was Blythe, CA. We were there in 2003 while we were driving from San Jose to Houston when I took a job transfer.

We made the mistake of spending the night there (it just happened to be the right distance to plan a stop for the night), and it was just a barren, desert town that looked abandoned as if a nuke had gone off not too far away. It's right along I-10 near the Colorado River, just before the Arizona border.

It reminded me of the saying, "Abandon hope all ye who enter." We were only there for a few hours and then left right after sleeping in a motel there, but we really felt like we were body-snatched by soul-sucking aliens while we were there. We had two cats with us, and they seemed to be lifeless too (though maybe that was thge sedatives we gave them to mellow them out on the long drives in their crate).