Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where are the USA's best days?
Behind 33 58.93%
Now 4 7.14%
In the Future 17 30.36%
Other 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

America's Best Days - behind, now, future
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

America's Best Days - behind, now, future

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Nearly one-out-of-two U.S. voters (49%) now say the nation’s best days are in the past, a five-point jump from last month and the highest level of pessimism on this question in a year.

+++++

Dates - start to end - yes, they overlap

I think they are and it is an important aspect to ER planning. I think I will be OK - maybe a bout of high inflation and another stock market crash in the next 35 years. But I will not be subject to the higher taxes and lack of opportunities as those younger - under 50 let's say.

A simple way at looking at the USA Empire is the pattern of other empires:

Asendancy - Manifest Density/Empire building/ - 1776 - 1945

Peak/Mature/Plateau - Mercantile period - Business a driver - 1870s - 1970s

Decline - Administrative - increase in laws, government, debt, social welfare programs, loss of empire - 1970s - 2100

We are in the Administrative period. This is why I do not think the POTUS is important in this regard - the course is set. He or she can only increase, or delay the decline but not reverse the course.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

I agree. It's very sad.
Laurelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don't know that a decline needs to be permanent and terminal, but for the time being, yeah, we've collectively overpromised too many things to too many people, and once the economy and stock market started to chronically underdeliver, well, that's where we are now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
we've collectively overpromised too many things to too many people, .
You're not implying that we're continuing to do that, are ya?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe the best days are behind us. Let's face it; the world does not have enough resources to provide everyone on the planet with the current American (or western European) standard of living. This probably means that as a whole, our standard of living will likely drop as others rise. I don't think this means a poor standard of living, just more thriftiness and a lot less waste and extravagance.

I still can't think of any place else in the world that I'd rather live.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Future. Otherwise I would be planning on moving somewhere else and learning more than Namaste or Ni hao.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Those who think they know the answer to this question are probably the same folks who think they know what the market will do in the coming months and years....
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
This probably means that as a whole, our standard of living will likely drop as others rise. I don't think this means a poor standard of living, just more thriftiness and a lot less waste and extravagance.
Good point. Even if there was a moderate decline in the standard of living in coming decades, we'd still be blessed compared to MUCH of the world's population based simply on where we were born.

I try to keep that perspective when I think things really suck.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Now that I live across the river from Kansas - I watch reruns of the Wizard of Oz when it comes on cable.

I voted now. Mainly cause I'm above ground and here - now as it were.

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now.

We are still the third largest country in terms of population. We have more natural resources due to our land mass. We continue to lead the world with innovation, because our culture encourages entrepreneurs and individual enterprise. We have the most military toys of anyone.

We trip ourselves up with our past successes that have created a view of entitlement: one of the world's largest economies (California) cannot get past its legislative problems, one of the world's richest nations cannot see the path to more efficient health care for all citizens, one of the world's most educated nations cannot assure that all teenaged residents get decent basic education.

-- Rita
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Those who think they know the answer to this question are probably the same folks who think they know what the market will do in the coming months and years....
Easy answer. The market will fluctuate.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Easy answer. The market will fluctuate.
...as will the days ahead of us.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #13

Depends what you mean by best. If best means civil war, world wars, depressions, segregation, robber barrons, then maybe the best is behind. If best means more equality, military intervention only when it's absolutely necessary, fewer booms and busts, meaningful participation from the average citizen, then I hope the best is yet to come!
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

"Is the best of the free life behind us now, are the good times really over for good?"--Merle Haggard
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

For those that voted "now".... I want to live in YOUR world!! Things do look a bit more grim than that from where I sit.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This is my his story and I'm stickin' to it...

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #17

It depends on one's perspective and priorities. From a financial perspective I think the country is in deep doo doo - The Piper Will Be Paid and there is simply no way around that. The Piper can be paid by reducing spending (unlikely) or more likely by devaluing the dollar via inflation.

I perceive a lot more pessimism than in years past because some of those bills are coming due that seemed so far away before. Something is gonna give on Social Security, Medicaid and the rest. We have a Vice President who says "We have to borrow money to avoid bankruptcy" - why does that have the same ring to it as "We had to destroy the village to save it."? Somehow the logic escapes me, but maybe I'm just slow.

Personally, we're in good shape. We're long past the point of having to think about whether we can afford a new coffee table, and when DW and I can feel comfortable dropping $12k on a toy like a motorcycle that speaks volumes about our optimism.

However, I do think that people ages 20-40 are going to have a much harder time than we did. To turn all this around is going to take almost a Depression-era mentality and I don't think the country as a whole has the stomach or unity for that. Hope I'm wrong though.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #18

I suspect how a poster responds to this poll has more to do with their own financial and emotional circumstances than any other factor. Many of us were battered and bruised by the market over the past 18 months and I'd wager a substantial number of those who voted "behind" would have voted differently prior to the financial meltdown.

Cheer up you bunch of SadSacks!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cheer up you bunch of SadSacks!!!
Hey...I provided a diddy to tap a toe to and it is Frankie...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Wild guess here: You voted "Other", didn't you?

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote