Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sort of watched the finale tonight. Realistically, what kind of Vegas show could 11 year old girl put on. I can imagine buying some tunes from Jackie, but going to see her in Vegas no way. Michael on the other hand I would go see.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I sort of watched the finale tonight. Realistically, what kind of Vegas show could 11 year old girl put on. I can imagine buying some tunes from Jackie, but going to see her in Vegas no way. Michael on the other hand I would go see.
Yeah, this more on her level:

Sarah Brightman Official Website - Events

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This, like American Idol, is a popularity contest. It was not 'Vote for the person that would do the best Vegas Show'. If it were Poppy would have won. Pure talent, Jackie. Popular Michael. How many 16 year old girls voted for Jackie? I doubt many.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #24

Personally, I just don't think Grimm won all that much on his looks. He's cute...but fragile looking. Certainly no buff, macho dude for sure. I don't think most women would lust over him like they did--ok, I did I'll admit it--for Tom Jones when he was young and had his tv show. I think Grimm just has a great, great voice.
I did make a point to listen to all the YouTube people I could find singing "You Can Leave your Hat On" to see how I would rate him. Here's where audrey1 and I disagree, cause I still think Grimm out-sings everyone else on this song...and that's why God invented chocolate and vanilla. Different view..no biggie.
I'd definitely pay to see Grimm. I wouldn't pay to see Evancho even tho she has a spectacular voice and is the sweetest girl I've seen in ages. Prince Poppycock, I agree, would put on a show with a capital S. All 3 should become big, big stars...I hope.
Just IMHO...surely many others disagree with me.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Just IMHO...surely many others disagree with me.
Well, As I have to remind Brenda when she gets too emotionally involved in, for example, a L&O/CSI episode: "It's just a show." You must suspend belief just as you must do when reading a book of fiction (Belle Lettes)... That's Entertainment.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #26

AGT is a fun, vote for your favorite show. It allows you to debate in your head who gets your vote, which is half the fun of it I think. Most nighttime tv is dullsville to me.

To me the only other show that is as fun is the beginning of American Idol when horrible singers fantasize they are really great, come in and make total fools of themselves...or, even better, get angry because the judges tell them they suck and they have a tantrum. Now THAT's entertainment...ha!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

They keep saying "Headline a Las Vegas Show" but I believe what actually happens is the top 10 put on a show in a number of cities, including one date in Las Vegas. In some cases this might lead to an actual show contract (like Terry Fator). It looks like last year's winner, Kevin Skinner, is appearing mostly at various fairs and festivals.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #28

Well, I think there were quite a few good acts that will go on to bigger and better things. My favorite was Jackie Evancho. What a beautiful and sweet little girl. I don't think she could have won with the Vegas deal as part of the prize. She might have gotten a raw deal on losing out to $1M (assuming she might have won) but I think the show and others will make that right with her. I'll bet she gets a million one way or the other. Maybe from Piers. She just needs go back home and start being a little girl again. Do some appearances, keep taking lessons and some day she should make it big. Doesn't look like the kind of family that will let her get the big head. Congrats to Michael Grimm.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

It will be interesting to see if Michael Grimm can pull off a brand new or little-known song (he sure seems talented enough to do so and now can have "his people" go after some good tunes). Poppycock and the acrobats were more original in the competition and have the showbiz appeal that Vegas wants. Jackie is the one whose YouTube videos got forwarded to us.

It was really fun to watch the winner announced--Michael was soooo surprised! He probably still doesn't believe he won over that little angelic jackie.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #30

Actually, I think it is about the worst thing that could have to Grimm. He was telling a buddy of mine about the contract and it is not very good. He has to pay up a portion of his earnings from now until he decides to quit making money with his voice.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Actually, I think it is about the worst thing that could have to Grimm. He was telling a buddy of mine about the contract and it is not very good. He has to pay up a portion of his earnings from now until he decides to quit making money with his voice.
I understand ALL participants have to sign a particularly onerous agreement to even be allowed to audition for the show. I can only imagine what enslavement terms are in Simon "Legree" Cowell's contract for finalists and winners...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I understand ALL participants have to sign a particularly onerous agreement to even be allowed to audition for the show. I can only imagine what enslavement terms are in Simon "Legree" Cowell's contract for finalists and winners...
From what I was told, if the contestant loses they are only stuck with the contract for 1-2 years.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also, if you watch the credits at the end of the show there is a note explaining that the $1M is paid as an annuity over 40 years. So, would that be a little over $2K/month?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah, I think it's the same deal with Idol. Simon's gone but the Idol machine is still in place. I love watching the talent, but wonder how they are exploited.

I remember how upset I was when Adam Lambert came in second. Many people said at the time he was better off. I'm begining to think they were right.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #35

Did anyone notice that they "prettied up" almost every singer with new clothes and hairdos, but Grimm seemed to have the same old hat and clothes. Guess they decided "poor" was his style. He did get a new necklace, tho...
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Did anyone notice that they "prettied up" almost every singer with new clothes and hairdos, but Grimm seemed to have the same old hat and clothes. Guess they decided "poor" was his style. He did get a new necklace, tho...
Yeah, I noticed that too. I loved how he was with Jewel. The way he looked at her was very cute
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It will be interesting to see if Michael Grimm can pull off a brand new or little-known song (he sure seems talented enough to do so and now can have "his people" go after some good tunes). Poppycock and the acrobats were more original in the competition and have the showbiz appeal that Vegas wants. Jackie is the one whose YouTube videos got forwarded to us.

It was really fun to watch the winner announced--Michael was soooo surprised! He probably still doesn't believe he won over that little angelic jackie.
He has produced a few original albums himself. You can find his music on ITunes and I guess Amazon.