Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

America's Got Talent: Michael Grimm, singer
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

America's Got Talent: Michael Grimm, singer

Normally I hate talent shows, but I actually find this one enjoyable. If nothing else, I've seen acts on there that I have never seen before and probably won't see again...and there are some doozies.
But, if anyone is watching this show, have they heard this Michael Grimm sing? Is it just me or is this guy great? I love his voice totally and, as proof, actually would buy some of his albums.
I understand he's been playing Vegas up and down the bars there. When I go there this year, I am hoping he's there still. I'm sold, sold, sold on this guy's voice:

Dailymotion - America's Got Talent _ Week 15: Michael Grimm - a Film & TV video
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He is very good. Surprised he wasn't on Idol.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

He is very, very good! America's Got Talent has an interesting season this year. Best ever in the show's history I think.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
He is very good. Surprised he wasn't on Idol.
Yes, he definitely picked the wrong venue to compete in. American Idol would have eliminated his biggest competion right off the bat -- Jackie Evancho (too young) and Prince Poppycock (not mainstream). In any event, Jackie and Poppycock are better singers technically. Now having said that, I believe he will come in third.

One thing to keep in mind is that the members of the "Final 10" in AGT have "made it." A Talent Agent of any competence will make them a commercial success... particularly this year. I, also must add, that there were a couple of earlier eliminated acts that in a normal year would still be in the race -- they, too, will enjoy "success."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

I agree that this is by far the best year AGT has ever had.

And I hope Grimm becomes a huge star. I, personally, love his style and sound as I said before. My kinda music totally.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

His phrasing, style, and intonation is a carbon copy of the original recording down by Al Green. Only his color is different.

Ha
Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

AGT is a show I only "watch" via social media like this Forum or Facebook. So I was familar with Jackie, but had to Google Prince Poppycock.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yes, he definitely picked the wrong venue to compete in. American Idol would have eliminated his biggest competion right off the bat -- Jackie Evancho (too young) and Prince Poppycock (not mainstream). In any event, Jackie and Poppycock are better singers technically. Now having said that, I believe he will come in third.

One thing to keep in mind is that the members of the "Final 10" in AGT have "made it." A Talent Agent of any competence will make them a commercial success... particularly this year. I, also must add, that there were a couple of earlier eliminated acts that in a normal year would still be in the race -- they, too, will enjoy "success."

Like Alice Tan Ridley? I am still unhappy they the judges left her out. I understand they want variety in the finals - and there are always too many singers - but she was much better (imo) than others that made the finals.

I agree with everyone else. I have been watching this for a few years and this year definitely had a better top 10/11 than any other year...and I think any of the final 4 could win.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #9

Alice Tan Ridley is excellent no doubt. And how did those two sisters get to the top 10, which is ridiculous to me. They're good but not that good.

Haha, Michael Grimm did imitate Al Green, but you have to listen to his interpretation on his other songs that he definitely makes his own. He's really exceptionally talented.

Here, HAHA, is a variety of his work:

The prediction is the little girl, Jackie Evancho, will win hands down. The Las Vegas bets are that Grimm comes in 4th of the top 4, but he'll go on to be a star anyway I'm sure.

I just cannot believe how mature and sweet that 10 year old is, tho. She is a very unusual child and mature beyond her years I think. This is the kind of kid I didn't want to play with, tho. You can be "too good and too perfect" to other kids. And I was more of a tomboy type when young and climbing trees...before I discovered boys that is..ha!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Haha, Michael Grimm did imitate Al Green, but you have to listen to his interpretation on his other songs that he definitely makes his own. He's really exceptionally talented.

Here, HAHA, is a variety of his work:
Look out, Orchid is in love!

Hey, white boys have been copying black singers and taking it to the bank at least since the 30s- why should it stop now?

Ha
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #11

I was tremendously impressed the first time I saw Grimm on the show. Exceptional! I said the same thing about buying an album too (not something I have done in a long time). All the other contestants are great as well and should go on to be successful. I get the biggest kick out of Prince Poppycock who is amazingly talented and outrageous - just the kind of entertainment that I would think go over well in Las Vegas.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I get the biggest kick out of Prince Poppycock who is amazingly talented and outrageous - just the kind of entertainment that I would think go over well in Las Vegas.
Me too. And underneath all the make up, wigs, and costumes he's a babe. Yeah, I know I'm not his type but a girl can look and admire, right?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #13

I punched this up on YouTube to hear Joe Cocker's version of "You Can Leave your Hat On" song to compare with Michael Grimm's, and all I could think of when I watched this is how hot Mickey Rourke used to be ...good gosh, man, what did you ever do to your face

Off subject, but if you want to convince someone not to have plastic surgery...or get into boxing...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I punched this up on YouTube to hear Joe Cocker's version of "You Can Leave your Hat On" song to compare with Michael Grimm's, and all I could think of when I watched this is how hot Mickey Rourke used to be ...good gosh, man, what did you ever do to your face

Off subject, but if you want to convince someone not to have plastic surgery...or get into boxing...
I thought he was the hottest thing in Rumble Fish and 9 1/2 Weeks. You are so right. What happened?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #15

This happened....
mickey rourke - Google Search

I think he went to an unlicensed physician from South America who shot him up with commercial grade silicone. This same physician also did Priscilla Presley. He should be shot.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Orchid, I hope you're watching the final performances right now!

Jackie will win just because of the YouTube voters imho. She great but is the antithesis of the Vegas show! Prince Poppycock is a shoo-in for his own show there no matter if he wins or loses.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe Piers gave Poppycock the big buzzer. What a tool. Not looking forward to seeing him take over for Larry.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I can't believe Piers gave Poppycock the big buzzer. What a tool. Not looking forward to seeing him take over for Larry.
Yeah, I dont think buzzing any of the final four is justified, but I was also a little disappointed with Poppycock tonight. He is supposed to be fun (or at least in my mind he is). He wasnt "fun" tonight. He was good - but not fun.

With that said, I can't help but feel that Piers went in with the mindset that he was going to do whatever he could to help Jackie win so he could say he discovered her.....
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

FWIW - Micheal Grimm was very closely imitating Tom Jones 1997 version of "You Can Leave Your Hat On" featured in the film The Full Monty. Much older Tom Jones way outbelts anyone else on this one IMO regardless of what surgical needs his face may have.

(I posted this version on the most passionate songs thread today - that's how I found out who Michael Grimm is today).

Audrey
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But, if anyone is watching this show, have they heard this Michael Grimm sing? Is it just me or is this guy great? I love his voice totally and, as proof, actually would buy some of his albums.
I understand he's been playing Vegas up and down the bars there. When I go there this year, I am hoping he's there still. I'm sold, sold, sold on this guy's voice:
He won Orchidflower! Big shocker