Join Early Retirement Today

America's most hated companies
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

America's most hated companies

"Corporate America as a whole is blamed for all sorts of societal ills, from greed on Wall Street to shafting the little guy. But people's scorn can intensify when it comes to individual companies and other organizations, especially after inadvertent missteps or, worse, outright misconduct."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...ted-companies/

Gotta agree with:
Quote:
#13. Sears Holdings. The retailer, described in 24/7's ranking as plagued by unhappy customers and employees, plans to shutter more than 100 additional stores through the spring of 2018, with the count of Sears and Kmart stores already down to under 1,300 from 3,467 in 2007.
I'm still waiting for Sears to make good on the replacement of a broken Craftsmen tool -- fifteen years later! I refuse to shop there. Crash and burn baby burn.

Not seeing the basis for the gripe:
Quote:
#4. University of Phoenix. Possibly the country's best-known for-profit college, its parent company, the Apollo Group, has been the focus of federal and state probes alleging it used deceptive practices to recruit students.
The linked article fails to cite the allegations.

Well that's "Duh. Really"
Quote:
#2. Fox Entertainment Group. The parent company of Fox News Channel, the network has a strong right-wing slant. And, while one of the most popular cable channels in the country, it's also one of the most divisive. Fox has also settled multiple sexual harassment claims regarding one of its anchors and the late Fox News CEO and founder Roger Ailes
A writer for CBS doesn't like Fox? Whoda thought.

And number one:
Quote:
1. Equifax. The consumer credit reporting was hit by a massive hack last year, exposing the personal data of more than 145 million Americans and putting them at risk of identity theft. Arguably worse, the company sat on the information for a month before letting the public know.
I think I hate Experian even more for unlocking my credit report after I discovered and disputed their recurring $19.99 "credit monitoring" charge on my credit card.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They forgot:

Megacorp: crushing the souls of OMYers from ER.org for the last decade.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Editing fail
Old 02-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Editing fail

The article says NFL players were kneeling to "protect" racial inequality.

William Paley would have torn that editor a new one.

Come on, CBS. It's not a trivial spelling error when it completely changes the meaning! Just another example of falling standards in modern journalism, and why fewer people pay it any mind.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If it passes a spoil chick, its the rite thing.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
1. Equifax. The consumer credit reporting was hit by a massive hack last year, exposing the personal data of more than 145 million Americans and putting them at risk of identity theft. Arguably worse, the company sat on the information for a month before letting the public know.(
Gotta agree with this one. Let's also not forget the other two credit agencies. How they can take our credit information and then charge us for things like credit reports (in the past), subscriptions for monitoring our credit and to me, worst of all, charging to freeze/lock my credit report. Wow, just wow.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm surprised WalMart wasn't on the list.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
The article says NFL players were kneeling to "protect" racial inequality.

William Paley would have torn that editor a new one.

Come on, CBS. It's not a trivial spelling error when it completely changes the meaning! Just another example of falling standards in modern journalism, and why fewer people pay it any mind.
Reminiscent of "Da Mayor" in Chicago in 1968:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...Speaking_style

Quote:
"Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all — the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder."
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #8

How could Microsoft not make the list?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #9

Because the list is a reflection of the generally arbitrary nature of American public opinion. It changes with the Wind and has the memory of a pea.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #10

I would have thought that Wells Fargo would be on that list.

Wells Fargo Hit With Unusual Ban on Growth in Yellen's Final Act

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...after-scandals
Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #11

You could come up with vastly different lists just by changing the selection criteria.

Everybody loves to hate somebody. Sometimes mass hatred for a company is earned, sometimes it's just media hype.

We all have our own list. The latest addition to mine was eBay (and PayPal,) for failure to resolve an issue THEY created. Others have nothing but praise for them. That's fine.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I'm surprised WalMart wasn't on the list.
I'm not.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I would have thought that Wells Fargo would be on that list.

Wells Fargo Hit With Unusual Ban on Growth in Yellen's Final Act

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...after-scandals
They are. See #11.

Quote:
11. Wells Fargo. The bank's ongoing public relations nightmare began in 2016 with the disclosure that its employees created millions of phony accounts on behalf of unknowing customers, and continued with news last year that Wells Fargo charged late fees on mortgage payments when the bank was to blame, not its customers.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Consider the source, CBS. Of course they would name FOX near the top. Even without that consideration, the list has low credibility to me. Only one insurance company was named and there should have been 5 or 6 (especially medical) in the top ten.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #15

Countrywide Mortgage and their sleazy ceo (president?) for their gleeful participation in the fraud that caused or contributed to the 2008 meltdown. Plus of course many others, like Goldman Sachs. Pure *c*mbags IMHO.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Administrator

Just to clarify for those posting without actually reading the OP link, the list was compiled by a web site called 247WallSt. CBS is only reporting. At least one of the businesses posted here that "should be" on the list actually is.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
CBS is only reporting.
, they should have been in the top 5.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #18

I believe the negative hype on Monsanto and am voting for them. Don't own stock in them. Maybe I should, ha ha! Sorry but I choose not to list the negatives, since I'm not fully versed in them. Google will provide a big list. Yes, I'm guilty of not providing evidence!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This list isn't surprising- they almost always include all the major cable/telecom providers as well as an airline or two, plus whatever companies have had recent scandals.

As for Wal-Mart not being on the list- I personally go out of my way to avoid shopping there but I think that a huge segment of the population likes their low prices and variety and will put up with poor service and shoddy products in return.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

BANK OF AMERICA I never had a positive experience with them. All included poor customer service.