Join Early Retirement Today

America's top cash crop is...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

America's top cash crop is...

I didn't know whether to put this in "Life after FIRE", "FIRE and Money", or "Young Dreamers"... so I'm putting it in "Other" for now.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. growers produce nearly $35 billion worth of marijuana annually, making the illegal drug the country's largest cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined, an advocate of medical marijuana use said in a study released on Monday.
"The report, conducted by Jon Gettman, a public policy analyst and former head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also concluded that five U.S. states produce more than $1 billion worth of marijuana apiece: California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington."

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.c...860317734D2A74

Kinda makes you wonder what they talk about during the Scientific American editorial meetings, doesn't it?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: America's top cash crop is...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just imagine if it was legal.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Just imagine if it was legal.
The price would come down more than the volume would go up so it wouldn't be worth as much. Corn would be king again.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
The price would come down more than the volume would go up so it wouldn't be worth as much. Corn would be king again.
Rather than farm subsidies, perhaps making corn illegal, and thereby more valuable, would be a better way to help small farmers.

Always thinking.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just had a HUGE pot bust in NH. What was interesting was that the growers paid cash for multi million dollar mansions on huge lots. Then grew pot with grow lights in the basement. The eletrical surge would have been a red flag soooo they by passed the meters sucking power directly from the poles!

4 mansions were confiscated.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Rather than farm subsidies, perhaps making corn illegal, and thereby more valuable, would be a better way to help small farmers.

Always thinking.
The Surgeon General could put the US population on a low-carb diet and outlaw corn, potatoes, beer, etc. Imagine the positive impact this would have on farmers.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Kinda makes you wonder what they talk about during the Scientific American editorial meetings, doesn't it?
My guess would be who is going to bring the potato chips and twinkies for the next meeting?

I'm spending this week in Maui and this has been all over the news about how it's the biggest crop on Maui but I didn't know it applies to the whole country.

USA! USA!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #8

Dh was watching Cops the other night and they were on one of the islands looking for "crops". I never would have guessed it was such a big crop in Hawaii but I'll bet the growing conditions are great.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Yes, but unlike corn we'd be able to tax the heck out of it. There has to be a comparison to tobacco or, more appropriately, sippin' whiskey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I'm spending this week in Maui and this has been all over the news about how it's the biggest crop on Maui but I didn't know it applies to the whole country.
Hawaii exports a lot more than pineapple juice. The heck with detecting weapons of mass destruction, how 'bout a machine that screens for containers filled with MJ bales. Those canines can't be everywhere.

BTW if you're looking for more than pineapple juice I'd hang around Lahaina's big banyan tree around 4-5 PM with an expectant look on your face. It might be difficult to tell the undercover cops from the retailers but eventually someone will step forward with an offer!

Thanks to JB and whether or not you prefer Vietnamese cuisine, if you're near Wailuku then I'd recommend looking up the Saigon Café...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #10

I live across the street from a state park (1000+ acres). Without much effort I can usually stumble upon empty bottles of "Miracle-Gro" littering the deep forest

Now why are people coming out this way to fertilize the pine trees is beyond me
Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Dh was watching Cops the other night and they were on one of the islands looking for "crops". I never would have guessed it was such a big crop in Hawaii but I'll bet the growing conditions are great.
Maui Wowie
Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

BTW if you're looking for more than pineapple juice I'd hang around Lahaina's big banyan tree around 4-5 PM with an expectant look on your face. It might be difficult to tell the undercover cops from the retailers but eventually someone will step forward with an offer!

Thanks to JB and whether or not you prefer Vietnamese cuisine, if you're near Wailuku then I'd recommend looking up the Saigon Café...
I'll skip the offer for the banyan tree. I'd like to stay here, but prison probably isn't the way to do that.

I'm going to hit Saigon cafe on the way to the airport.

BTW: Every time I come to Hawaii I see why people come here and never leave. Then I look at the cost of living and realize I can't afford to stay
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
BTW: Every time I come to Hawaii I see why people come here and never leave. Then I look at the cost of living and realize I can't afford to stay
Very few people can afford to move their current lifestyles to Hawaii.

But why in the world would anyone want to replicate their current lifestyle here?!?

Thousands of people left Hawaii last year for a better life on the Mainland, but thousands more came here as immigrants. I'm not sure what compromises have been made, but it is possible to afford to live here. It isn't easy, but it's achievable.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/22/news/story02.html

Old 12-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Just had a HUGE pot bust in NH. What was interesting was that the growers paid cash for multi million dollar mansions on huge lots. Then grew pot with grow lights in the basement. The eletrical surge would have been a red flag soooo they by passed the meters sucking power directly from the poles!

4 mansions were confiscated.
Glad to hear they’re growing it indoors – wish they all would. I’ve heard accounts of fields in remote public lands rigged with little improvised mines (like shotgun shell w/ rattrap or similar trip to smack the primer) and even not so improvised mines. I wonder how much of this is true and how much is urban legend.