America's top cash crop is...

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I didn't know whether to put this in "Life after FIRE", "FIRE and Money", or "Young Dreamers"... so I'm putting it in "Other" for now.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. growers produce nearly $35 billion worth of marijuana annually, making the illegal drug the country's largest cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined, an advocate of medical marijuana use said in a study released on Monday.
"The report, conducted by Jon Gettman, a public policy analyst and former head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also concluded that five U.S. states produce more than $1 billion worth of marijuana apiece: California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington."

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=9DC1FD73BD6DD81511860317734D2A74

Kinda makes you wonder what they talk about during the Scientific American editorial meetings, doesn't it?

Patrick said:
Just imagine if it was legal.
The price would come down more than the volume would go up so it wouldn't be worth as much. Corn would be king again.

donheff said:
The price would come down more than the volume would go up so it wouldn't be worth as much. Corn would be king again.

Rather than farm subsidies, perhaps making corn illegal, and thereby more valuable, would be a better way to help small farmers.

Always thinking.

Just had a HUGE pot bust in NH. What was interesting was that the growers paid cash for multi million dollar mansions on huge lots. Then grew pot with grow lights in the basement. The eletrical surge would have been a red flag soooo they by passed the meters sucking power directly from the poles!

4 mansions were confiscated.

bpp said:
Rather than farm subsidies, perhaps making corn illegal, and thereby more valuable, would be a better way to help small farmers.

Always thinking.
The Surgeon General could put the US population on a low-carb diet and outlaw corn, potatoes, beer, etc. Imagine the positive impact this would have on farmers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nords said:
Kinda makes you wonder what they talk about during the Scientific American editorial meetings, doesn't it?

My guess would be who is going to bring the potato chips and twinkies for the next meeting?

I'm spending this week in Maui and this has been all over the news about how it's the biggest crop on Maui but I didn't know it applies to the whole country.

USA! USA!

Dh was watching Cops the other night and they were on one of the islands looking for "crops". I never would have guessed it was such a big crop in Hawaii but I'll bet the growing conditions are great.

donheff said:
Yes, but unlike corn we'd be able to tax the heck out of it. There has to be a comparison to tobacco or, more appropriately, sippin' whiskey.

saluki9 said:
I'm spending this week in Maui and this has been all over the news about how it's the biggest crop on Maui but I didn't know it applies to the whole country.
Hawaii exports a lot more than pineapple juice. The heck with detecting weapons of mass destruction, how 'bout a machine that screens for containers filled with MJ bales. Those canines can't be everywhere.

BTW if you're looking for more than pineapple juice I'd hang around Lahaina's big banyan tree around 4-5 PM with an expectant look on your face. It might be difficult to tell the undercover cops from the retailers but eventually someone will step forward with an offer!

Thanks to JB and whether or not you prefer Vietnamese cuisine, if you're near Wailuku then I'd recommend looking up the Saigon Café...

I live across the street from a state park (1000+ acres). Without much effort I can usually stumble upon empty bottles of "Miracle-Gro" littering the deep forest :LOL:

Now why are people coming out this way to fertilize the pine trees is beyond me :confused:

Outtahere said:
Dh was watching Cops the other night and they were on one of the islands looking for "crops". I never would have guessed it was such a big crop in Hawaii but I'll bet the growing conditions are great.

Maui Wowie

Nords said:
BTW if you're looking for more than pineapple juice I'd hang around Lahaina's big banyan tree around 4-5 PM with an expectant look on your face. It might be difficult to tell the undercover cops from the retailers but eventually someone will step forward with an offer!

Thanks to JB and whether or not you prefer Vietnamese cuisine, if you're near Wailuku then I'd recommend looking up the Saigon Café...

I'll skip the offer for the banyan tree. I'd like to stay here, but prison probably isn't the way to do that.

I'm going to hit Saigon cafe on the way to the airport.

BTW: Every time I come to Hawaii I see why people come here and never leave. Then I look at the cost of living and realize I can't afford to stay :'(

saluki9 said:
BTW: Every time I come to Hawaii I see why people come here and never leave. Then I look at the cost of living and realize I can't afford to stay :'(
Very few people can afford to move their current lifestyles to Hawaii.

But why in the world would anyone want to replicate their current lifestyle here?!?

Thousands of people left Hawaii last year for a better life on the Mainland, but thousands more came here as immigrants. I'm not sure what compromises have been made, but it is possible to afford to live here. It isn't easy, but it's achievable.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/22/news/story02.html

tryan said:
Just had a HUGE pot bust in NH. What was interesting was that the growers paid cash for multi million dollar mansions on huge lots. Then grew pot with grow lights in the basement. The eletrical surge would have been a red flag soooo they by passed the meters sucking power directly from the poles!

4 mansions were confiscated.
Glad to hear they’re growing it indoors – wish they all would. I’ve heard accounts of fields in remote public lands rigged with little improvised mines (like shotgun shell w/ rattrap or similar trip to smack the primer) and even not so improvised mines. I wonder how much of this is true and how much is urban legend.

Back
Top Bottom