AN

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
So what's this all about? AN... so what?

It started this way: In looking up some information on hearing, and came across a very long thread that referenced "AN" in every post. Of course, everyone knows what this stands for, right? After looking all over the hearing sites for "AN", I resorted to going to one of the acronym websites. Ach!... still no luck. The to medical websites. Aha! Persistence pays off. I know you knew, but I didn't. For anyone who might not remember... AN means Acoustical Neuroma.

Another stupid waste of my remaining time on earth.

As far as ER?.... Am getting better. I recognize about 3/4 of the Acronyms used here.

Now all of this brings up the subject I'd really like to discuss.
"Why teach English in the American School System?" A total waste of time for everyone... Teachers and students. We should be teaching Facebook language... The penultimate solution to social and scientific interaction in the new virtual world.

With time and effort savings we can change the world, and use a new digital type language in place of the polyglot that is keeping mankind from attaining the perfection that is already available, and out there.

AFAIUI, TTTT, SOTMG, SRY, CT, CUA!

So much faster and easier, and especially well understood by younger people who are growing up with this newspeech... even without schooling.

Am sadly far behind the times. Trying to make up for my ignorance by studying the primer for this advancement of the human race.

Here: http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp
[/URL]

Somehow, we'll get through this. :dance:

Last edited:
Acronyms...acronyms...I thought I had escaped them.

Acronyms were originally the domain of the military and the fed govt agencies, as a shorthand for long winded titles of anything from campaigns, projects, equipment, titles for personnel, etc, to an assessment of a situation (recall SNAFU).

I personally spent 26 years of my life (career days) listening to their use. I kept trying to figure them out within context. Then I said to hell with it and asked whoever used them to spell it out. Half the time the person using the acronym had no clue what each letter stood for. It made for some funny conversations at meetings. :LOL:

Now acronyms have invaded the rest of the world. Argh !

As far as the shorthand spelling (cya, ur, u for example) for English words, I sincerely hope that stays confined to texting for brevity purposes.

India...Charlie Alpha November...Oscar November Lima Yankee...Hotel Oscar Papa Echo...

;)

Last edited:
My daughter is 11, and just graduated from elementary school. In her yearbook, 90% of her friends included the acronym "HAGS!" when they signed it. DD informed me that this is short for "Have a great summer!". Ugh.

I generally try to avoid using acronyms, even when texting.

BIL and SIL came to DW and me asking if they could RE. I asked if they were FI and they weren't sure. He worked many years with the FBI and she with the CIA but now they're both with IBM.

We looked at their AA. It was just OK. We suggested OMY and maybe some LBYM and maybe moving from their home in CA to maybe FL, TX or NV, but not to consider NY! They were LOL as they bid us TTFN (ta ta for now) and headed back to LAX by way of SFO.

BIL and SIL came to DW and me asking if they could RE. I asked if they were FI and they weren't sure. He worked many years with the FBI and she with the CIA but now they're both with IBM.

We looked at their AA. It was just OK. We suggested OMY and maybe some LBYM and maybe moving from their home in CA to maybe FL, TX or NV, but not to consider NY! They were LOL as they bid us TTFN (ta ta for now) and headed back to LAX by way of SFO.

Hilarious! And I understood every word.

TMI

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

BP has an app on their office home page that is a dictionary for three-letter - acronyms that has had to include four-letter TLA s and even 5. Nobody seems to maintain it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

AN. AN...

When I saw this two-letter thread title, I immediately recognized it as a familiar acronym. But, but, but, what? I drove myself crazy until I recalled what it was.

AN stands for Application Note. Chip makers like Motorola, National Semiconductor, Texas Intruments, all publish short articles called ANs to give examples on how their chips can be used in circuits. Oh, the countless enjoyable hours I spent reading these ANs. Far more engrossing and exciting than any spy or thriller novel.

Ah, the good ole days when one was young and excited about his works...

AN. AN...

When I saw this two-letter thread title, I immediately recognized it as a familiar acronym. But, but, but, what? I drove myself crazy until I recalled what it was.

AN stands for Application Note. Chip makers like Motorola, National Semiconductor, Texas Intruments, all publish short articles called ANs to give examples on how their chips can be used in circuits. Oh, the countless enjoyable hours I spent reading these ANs. Far more engrossing and exciting than any spy or thriller novel.

Ah, the good ole days when one was young and excited about his works...

Oh lord! Here's a classic (kind of a'best of' collection for op-amps):

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/assets/AN-31.pdf

-ERD50

That must be a revision, because the date was 2002. I saw that AN back in the mid 70s, and of course op-amps were around perhaps more than 10 years before that.

Last edited:
When I saw the AN thread title I initially assumed it referred to the symbol for Auto Nation. Then I opened it and lost interest. Overall, I think of all the ways one can invest his life minutes and brain minutes, learning acronyms has to be one of the worst, once free of the numbing work environment that might have required this knowledge.

This morning I read a post about some guy who was helping move his "DGF" from New York state to the West Coast. I had thought DGF meant "dear girl friend", which presumably would mean a girl friend that one did not yet want to lose. If I were in this position and a wanted girl friend was planning to move across country, I would be calling her loans or putting sugar in her gas tank, not taking her out there. So I figure I must have misunderstood the acronym, or the meaning of the post, or both.

Oh well, nothing new there.

Ha

I didn't know what the thread was about. Without a TLA I'm lost. Funny what rbmrtm said, I would guess the same, not from w*rking in the industry, I used to fish off the "original" TMI.

I figured it was Ammonium Nitrate. Then considering the makeup of this board, perhaps a discussion of AN hardware (I believe leftover from Army Navy).

Back
Top Bottom