Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The interesting thing about wind farms is the people who live around them hate them for the noise.... and they seem to be killing a lot of birds... now, factor that into the costs

I also found it funny that they will shut them down when there is TOO much wind.. heck, you would think WOHOO>>> free money...
I recently read that cats kill far more birds than wind farm props. Maybe we should just throw cats up in the air near wind farm propellers.

I also read about shutting wind farms down when wind velocity got too high or were headed that way. The bearings either overheat or melt . . . just give technology a bit of time. This stuff ain't rocket science.

Finally, the nice thing about these cars as an alternative to hydrogen fueled ones is that we wouldn't really have to scale up fueling choices/places/electric stations: As I remember it, the hydrogen powered car won't become popular until their are lots of places that sell hydrogen fuel, but no one will put in hydrogen fuel tanks until they can make a profit on it--the old chicken-egg problem. With air cars everything "should" be simpler: We can all plug in an electric cord then throw a switch, and we can do it at home if we like. To my mind, very low levels of technology (or at least familiar technology), many alternative places to fuel up, and--for the most part--a much safer fueling process than transferring gas or hydrogen into a vehicle.

CFB: Maybe if the tank bursts you just sort of spin around like a loose balloon until you fizzle out or hit something. And it might make a very interesting noise too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That'd be cool if it plays benny hill music at the same time the puncture occurs.

Maybe that could be a nice addition to the options list...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #23

Texas, not the people in Iowa that I know that live next to them. The noise is minimal. And as already stated, housecats kill many more birds than wind generators do.
As for compressed air cars, they have been around for quite some time as con jobs. Free energy and the like. The technology is improving, but I suspect it takes a lot more than $2 worth of electricity to compress the air. Is it that the compressed air currently costs $2, or that it used $2 of electricity.
The Tesla Roadster (for comparison) has a range of 200 miles with 52Kw.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #24

I read the article and keep thinking "aw man, my engine is flat!"
Old 06-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #25

If your tire goes flat, can you just pump a little over from the air tanks into the tire?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

It is cute .. sorta looks like one of those Smart Cars that are coming out on the market.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

It is an interesting concept.... but from someone in TEXAS where it gets to 100 all the time in summer... how far can you go with the air running full blast

and what is your backup mode When you get stuck in traffic and waste all your air cooling yourself off
Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post

This efficiency rate is better than virtually any car currently operating in this country.

Combining electricity and air to power individual vehicles seems like a good alternative to me.
I've heard of these before, but I have my doubts. Remember, the compressed air is just another way to store the electrical energy that was used to compress the air. So, if compressed air tanks and air motors are cheaper and more efficient than recharging batteries in an electric car, there might be something to it. But, that is the comparison. Batteries and electric motors are pretty efficient. Though batteries are not cheap - so if the high pressure tank is cheaper than batteries in the future, it could have some merit.

So, there is no silver bullet here - just another way to store electrical energy, and energy is always lost in the conversion.

I remember the electric buses on some streets in Chicago - the overhead wires were a nuisance and an eyesore, but that was probably the cleanest thing going - no storage/conversion losses at all (just transmission losses in the wires).

I think FedEx was looking into a hybrid system for their delivery trucks - instead of battery/motor to supplement the truck engine, they were looking into compressed air for storage. Potentially cheaper and less maintenance than batteries. Add the electric air compressor and larger tank and it could be a 'plug-in hybrid'.

-ERD50
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso View Post
I just couldnt resist! The vehicle I take to w*rk runs on peanut butter and oatmeal!
Unfortunately, that might not be as good an option as it seems. I heard someone report on a 'Science Friday' podcast, that by the time you account for the losses from the human body converting food to energy, and the losses in our food supply, that it is better for the environment to drive to work than to ride a bike.

I guess it helps if you are vegetarian. You would utilize the vegetation directly rather than through converting it into meat by feeding it to animals. Kind of like eliminating the middle-man, ummm, I mean middle-cow?

-ERD50
Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

and what is your backup mode When you get stuck in traffic and waste all your air cooling yourself off

Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Compressed air ain't cheap!

Compressed air is one of the most expensive uses of energy in a manufacturing plant. About eight horsepower of electricity is used to generate one horsepower of compressed air. Calculating the cost of compressed air can help you justify improvements for energy efficiency.

Air Compressor Energy-Saving Tips - MnTAP
Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #32

If this air powered car is feasible, it might at least provide one possible scenario as to what life might be like after "peak oil" and all the gasoline is used up (or $50/gallon and hence practically used up). If peak oil plays out like many think it will.

I'd like to see a little more data on the car and the energy cycle and costs to refuel/operate it. But I like the concept.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #33

Speaking of alternative energy sources.....

Here's a story about a guy who was working on using radio waves to kill cancer cells. Along the way he realized that using radio waves he could release oxygen and hydrogen from saltwater and produce a flame.

Article - http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=68227

Video - Video on Demand | wkyc.com
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Along the way he realized that using radio waves he could release oxygen and hydrogen from saltwater and produce a flame.
Bah! I can do the same thing with a 17 year old dishwasher! No radio waves or seawater needed...just ordinary tap water!

Where do I patent this technology?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Speaking of alternative energy sources.....

Here's a story about a guy who was working on using radio waves to kill cancer cells. Along the way he realized that using radio waves he could release oxygen and hydrogen from saltwater and produce a flame.

Article - http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=68227

Video - Video on Demand | wkyc.com
I must presume that the radio waves are dividing water into Hydrogen and Oxygen and then the fire combines them back into water. It's been a long time since I've been in a chemisty class, but I don't think you'd end up with more energy from the flame than you put in with the radio waves. And you'd have a bunch of salt left over to clean out.

So if you had the power source for the radio wave generator with you then the rest seems a waste of resources and effort. Maybe they want to put the radio generators by the side of the road and heat water as cars pass by? But they say no such thing in the article or video.