Join Early Retirement Today

An Ancient Greek Lesson About LBYM and FIRE
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

An Ancient Greek Lesson About LBYM and FIRE

Saw this and it resonated with me. I've always felt that maybe I could have done better in the work world had I sucked up more to my "superiors." Where would that have gotten me? Possibly promotions, better raises, and maybe less harassment. Instead, I took the route of being more of my own person and since work wasn't going so well in any area, making an early escape by living below my means (even though my salary was low), saving and investing my money.

I just read this and thought that this is a kindred soul whom many on this forum can relate to:

A philosopher named Aristippus, who had quite willingly sucked up to Dionysus and won himself a spot at his court, saw Diogenes cooking lentils for a meal. "If you would only learn to compliment Dionysus, you wouldn't have to live on lentils."
Diogenes replied, "But if you would only learn to live on lentils, you wouldn't have to flatter Dionysus."
-------------------------------------------

Diogenes---my new hero!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Saw this and it resonated with me. I've always felt that maybe I could have done better in the work world had I sucked up more to my "superiors." Where would that have gotten me? Possibly promotions, better raises, and maybe less harassment. Instead, I took the route of being more of my own person and since work wasn't going so well in any area, making an early escape by living below my means (even though my salary was low), saving and investing my money.

I just read this and thought that this is a kindred soul whom many on this forum can relate to:

A philosopher named Aristippus, who had quite willingly sucked up to Dionysus and won himself a spot at his court, saw Diogenes cooking lentils for a meal. "If you would only learn to compliment Dionysus, you wouldn't have to live on lentils."
Diogenes replied, "But if you would only learn to live on lentils, you wouldn't have to flatter Dionysus."
-------------------------------------------

Diogenes---my new hero!
Lentils... Diogenes must be a Early Retirement Extreme Reader
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Lentils... Diogenes must be a Early Retirement Extreme Reader
Did Diogenes go to work on Wallstreet?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This is actually a complicated topic TM. There are plenty of insecure or simply nasty supervisors and managers who can't deal with any criticism and surround themselves with sycophants. But, in my experience, there are far more who are normal, decent human beings trying to get the job done. For those young dreamers out there still facing a long haul at the office I recommend getting away from bosses of the first type as fast as you can. But for every type 1 boss I saw skulking around, I saw a few talented but disgruntled employees who everyone in the workforce rolled their eyes at. Employees who were hypercritical of everything the organization did, who were so certain that they could do better but were never promoted because management didn't respect talent, blah, blah. The reality is that no manager with an ounce of sense would put one of these misfits in charge of a work group. And when they were promoted to supervisory jobs (usually because of their talents and in spite of their negativity) they often ended up one of those type 1 bosses (or screamers, which may be worse).
Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My life got much easier once I learned it was my responsibility to manage the relationship with my manager. Far, far more valuable that working hard or having talent.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
My life got much easier once I learned it was my responsibility to manage the relationship with my manager. Far, far more valuable that working hard or having talent.
Sounds like no fun at all. Dismaying enough to manage a relationship with your woman, and she at least will sleep with you if you are doing a reasonable job of relationship managing.

Ha
Old 12-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Sounds like no fun at all. Dismaying enough to manage a relationship with your woman, and she at least will sleep with you if you are doing a reasonable job of relationship managing.

Ha
And the manager gives you money. The oldest profession, and all that.

That said, I love the story in the OP.

Like the quote in V for Vendetta says, our integrity sells for so little, but in the end, it's all we have.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post

Like the quote in V for Vendetta says, our integrity sells for so little, but in the end, it's all we have.
Never saw the movie, but I love that line!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
And your manager may screw you if you don't manage that relationship well.