Join Early Retirement Today

Re: An annoying decision- Cars
Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Best car for the money I can think of is a Buick LeSabre. I bought one with about 40,000 miles on it and drove it another 100,000 with little trouble, then I gave it to a church. Great 3800 engine. With good tires it handled any snow that I wanted to be out in. I also pulled a boat with it, no problem at all. Any shop in the U.S. can work on it too.

It got about 22 mpg in normal driving and darn near 30 on a trip. Plenty of power, plenty of comfort. Not real flashy though and people will think you're old. It's also a very, vary safe car.

You could find a very good used one very reasonable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
Best car for the money I can think of is a Buick LeSabre. I bought one with about 40,000 miles on it and drove it another 100,000 with little trouble, then I gave it to a church. Great 3800 engine. With good tires it handled any snow that I wanted to be out in. I also pulled a boat with it, no problem at all. Any shop in the U.S. can work on it too.

It got about 22 mpg in normal driving and darn near 30 on a trip. Plenty of power, plenty of comfort. Not real flashy though and people will think you're old. It's also a very, vary safe car.

You could find a very good used one very reasonable.
I had an 89 and an 87. GREAT cars......wish I still had them........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you're careful with money, an LBYM. So here's my opinion in that context.

$3500 to replace the engine: I don't recommend it. As many have said, the engine is just a small part of the car. Your Explorer is too old, has no real value. Let it go. But if you decide to replace the engine, find another mechanic. $3,500 is way to expensive for that car/engine. You should not have problem locating a good used engine for less than $1,000. Go to EBAY and search for Explorer engine to get an idea. The Explorer engine is not that time consuming nor difficult to replace. Most smaller shops would be happy to do it for you for $1,000 or less.

AWD/4WD: Most people think they need this. Most people who actually own AWD/4WD never use it, or even worse, don't know how to use it. Think of the most difficult / tricky situation you've actually been in so far, try to duplicate that with a normal front wheel drive car. If you're sucessful, do you still need a AWD/4WD?

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
But if you decide to replace the engine, find another mechanic. $3,500 is way to expensive for that car/engine.
To protect the honor of my mechanic when i found out i had to fix the engine I also asked what other problems I should fix to get it up to perfect shape- for now- which included wheel bearings that look like they need to be repacked and a 4WD system that didnt always like to cooperate. I also know I need new tires after we did the best/worst case scenario and factored in the new tires a middle of the road estimate is $3500.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #25

Alright. You did not say that in the original post. Your mechanic's honor is intact!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

http://tinyurl.com/2z3n3v

10k gives you lots of options. Donate the car, most places will tow it from your house, and you'll probably save $500 on your taxes.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
The car had been perfect for camping, driving over the mountains to see our faimly (quite regularly) and for about 6 months out of the year there is always snow/ice on the ground or its coming.
Just this suggests to me that you oughta get a Subaru Outback, if I wasn't already
prejudiced in their favor. Mine is my fave car ever, I will definitely buy a new one
soon. I believe they are the best car you can drive on marginal roads, and the high
clearance rear area is great for camping.

Most any mechanic will tell you that Honda sets the standard for reliability, with
Toyota a close second, but, before I bought mine, my mechanic said he thought
Subaru was entering that territory.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
Secondly, if you think I should get a new-to-me car, I was hoping for a AWD wagon/small SUV that would be around 10K. Is that realistic? I havent been in the market for cars for quite some time and just dont know enough. Is there another place you can point me to? I can only find the big sites that advertise in google. Not sure what forums to even go to for that question.
Edmunds.com, Craigslist.org if it's in your area, and eBay Motors (local listings only)...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Edmunds.com, Craigslist.org if it's in your area, and eBay Motors (local listings only)...
Unless you're familiar with some of the more common used car sales scams, I would steer clear of Craigslist. I bought a used car few months ago and Craigslist was one of the first places I looked. Your area may be different, but here it was the land of con artists, curbstoners and assorted unlicensed dealers all masquerading as individual sellers. Not that there weren't some legit people there, just that they were few and far between. I saw a few bargains that seemed to be legit, but they all sold incredibly fast. Eventually I went to eBay and looked at local cars - there are scammers there also - and got a good deal. The most important thing was that I was reasonably certain how well the car had been maintained and what its history was.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with most poster... don't spend the money on that old POS...

BUT, I would be careful on buying from a rental fleet... I guess most people haven't heard of 'rental gear'.... it is where you are in a situation that you don't know what to do, so you put it in 'rental gear' and floor the MOFO... it can get you out of a lot of situations, but does not bode well for the car...
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I agree with most poster... don't spend the money on that old POS...

BUT, I would be careful on buying from a rental fleet... I guess most people haven't heard of 'rental gear'.... it is where you are in a situation that you don't know what to do, so you put it in 'rental gear' and floor the MOFO... it can get you out of a lot of situations, but does not bode well for the car...
I saw a guy literally destroy an auto transmission on a rental by horsing around with it in a parking lot. He finally stopped when the car would no longer move.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

On a completely unrelated note. I have created my first "very hot topic" on this board, and I wasnt the only one posting to it!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think it was helpful to have the influence of people around me who can look past the "cool I can afford a new car so why shouldnt I" and are focused on similiar goals when it comes to their resources.

I think I was resisting buying any sort of new money pit because I was just doing the opposite of what some people I know would do, I dont respect their money "ideas". I figured that if it invovled money and they would do it a certain way it must be wrong. I best be careful there.

I thought my old money pit would work just fine... once it got running that is. :P