Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been reading the thread about moving into a smaller space after retiring. I'm planning to do that too, but I have a long way to go before I'll be able to fit into the tiny house I'm planning. I want to build it myself, i.e. with my own two hands, so it's tiny because I don't think I'd ever finish a bigger one! So it occurred to me, why don't I pick out rooms equivalent to the floor area of my tiny house and downsize in-between now and when I retire. I've been test driving my pension, now I can test drive my square footage too. I think "fling-a-thing-a-day" will be a big help toward that. I just want to know one thing....what are we going to call it? Clutter-free Friday? Simplifiy-it Saturday? or what?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been on a decluttering mission lately. Today I decided to give away a huge box of books, including all of the Feng Shui books I bought and never read.

Last week I bought 12 identical pair of black socks, the color I usually wear. Now I don't have to match up socks anymore. I had this huge stack of all different kinds of "one of" black socks. Any pairs went to Goodwill, and singles got tossed out.

I applaud your effort on getting rid of stuff, but for me I'd rather get rid of stuff in big batches every month or so.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I just want to know one thing....what are we going to call it?
Thoreau Thursday?
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Make it a weekly event, meaning we post once a week about what that weeks items are. Some of us can collect 7 items for that week, others might just do a few or even one.
Thoughts?
The thread could be called "How did you declutter today?"

Just to make sure I understand... this thread is about getting rid of or repurposing one's own possessions, not those tchotchkes valuable collectibles so lovingly gathered by our spouses, right?

We're getting rid of our kid in just 181 days. You can put us down for that one right now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing a lot of decluttering lately, on the fly as the mood hits me.
Dress clothes leftover from w*rking days are next on the list. Most are too big for me anyway. I was a lot heavier when I was trapped behind a desk, eating lunch out every day and being inactive.

I think I could manage a giveaway once a week.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords - getting rid of spouses belongings certainly counts, and counts double if you do it without permission!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #47

We could do a weekly progress thread. Set a goal and then report weekly progress. The last while I have had a goal to fill one garbage can weekly with decluttering stuff,. This is not going to work any longer as i am giving away more than I am junking now.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #48

Yeah, I like the idea of a weekly thread, preferably one we resurrect on weekends (a good time for us w*rking stiffs to post an item for sale on ebay, or run something to goodwill)

I'd appreciate more ideas for what to call the thread, although we have a few good suggestions already.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords - getting rid of spouses belongings certainly counts, and counts double if you do it without permission!
I think I'd only take credit for the bonus points as long as I survived the experience...

BTW it's mango tree pruning month here. Can we claim that getting rid of five 65-gallon cans of mango branches, or other yard waste, counts as "simplifying"?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Oh Sure now you guys think of this. In the last six months I have thrown given away or sold hundreds of items, May even a thousand. I cleaned my garage, the back of the barn a storeroom and my attic. IT is worth the effort.
Same here. Well, not the garage or barn since I have neither, and not the attic because I don't store things up there. However I have been de-cluttering for the past year or two since we plan to move ourselves when we move to Missouri (probably in 2011).

I can't imagine just throwing one item away at a time, though. It would have taken months for me to throw out half my Mardi Gras beads (and I still have half left). A local charity is doing a pick-up on Thursday so if I de-clutter, I'll remove as much as I can and leave it out for them to pick up. Sounds like a good way to get rid of any remaining "representing the agency" work clothes since I no longer will need them for formal meetings. The flyer left by that charity also mentions kitchen items so maybe it's time to investigate the most seldom-used lower cupboard in my kitchen.

Until my initial decluttering, I thought my house did not have enough storage space. Amazing how those closets GROW when the clutter/junk is tossed out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #51

I think I've been decluttering my entire life. I almost always have a pile for Goodwill. I have one right now that contains some books and clothes.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #52

Does one big 'ol yard sale we are putting things aside for count? Obviously when the weather warms up!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #53

I am all for de-cluttering but ....I am so lazy, and, anyway, my wife is too sentimental. I always thought that the best way to have a neat and orderly home is to have very few things.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #54

It's amazing the crap that I have bought over the years and stuck into a cupboard never to resurface until we are on the move.

I'm in the process of doing a big declutter and my mantra is one I heard from a psychologist on Hoarders. That is how would I feel if the thing in question was not in my life. 99.9% of the time I go who would care. I think with regards to clothing and more expensive items a bit of guilt is involved knowing the cost involved.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

There was a good question I read on another site too:

"Would I buy this again?"

Can we call it something like Simplifying Saturday?
Minimalist Monday?
Tidy Tuesday?
Freeing Friday?

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

DW subscribes to some lady called "Flylady"....she's all about removing clutter...........but it seems to be taking awhile for DW to get indoctrinated..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

When I was clearing out our house to sell, I would turn on the daily episode of "Clean Sweep" to help keep me motivated. So every day for an hour, I would get a drawer or two or shelf or whatever cleaned out while listening to folks being counseled about their clutter. It made it more entertaining!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #58

I like 'Simplifying Saturday'. I'll start a thread by that title this weekend.

In the mean time, start thinking about what your first week's 'contribution' will be - maybe even take a photo to upload if you're really into the spirit.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #59

I like "Simplifying Saturday". I will get busy around here particularly if we get more snow today and tomorrow and I take comp time from work to hibernate.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like 'Simplifying Saturday'. I'll start a thread by that title this weekend.

In the mean time, start thinking about what your first week's 'contribution' will be - maybe even take a photo to upload if you're really into the spirit.
Great idea. And perfect timing for me, as I have been thinking along these lines anyway for former w*rk clothes and hardcopy books.
There is a local church that does rummage sales constantly, so I have a repository for my giveaways. I'm not even going to bother writing down what I give away. Too much hassle.