Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

First week's contribution went out today. To wit:

2 chair cushions for a chair we no longer have
One large empty duffle bag
One knee brace
One fanny pack
One bag of kids' craft supplies (to our preschool, about 15 items total)
One bag of canned goods nearing the end of their shelf life (two months before the expiration date we pull them and give them to the food bank)
Six demitasse spoons

So what, that's 25 items already, not counting the individual cans of food. I'm on a roll!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday: one 1997 Ford F250 4x4 longbed truck, given to a friend's daughter. Adios.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #63
Administrator

Urchina, you inspired me! I have so much de-cluttering yet to do. Tonight I found:

6 bottles of various kinds of hair goop or skin goop too old to use
2 pairs of contact lenses from 2004 that didn't work out
12 bottles of contact lense solutions of various kinds and sizes.
2 coffee makers
1 mixer (bowl missing)
20 pairs old socks and knee-highs, 1 shoelace
1 freebie visor with my agency's logo

That's 7 types of things, or 44+ things. I am already happier - - I straightened up one of my lower kitchen cabinets in the process, and it actually has some room in it now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #64

Gave a set of 1920 Encyclopedias, a box of about 60 paperbacks and six sad irons to the local thrift store.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I threw out a few old curling irons , an old hairdryer , several bottles of old suntan lotion and shampoo . I also sold a dress I wore to a wedding on ebay and I sold two JJill sweaters that I bought and did not like .
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #66

I donated a pair of dress shoes yesterday - Today I'm putting my woodchipper, old radial arm saw and car dollies on craig's list
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I inherited a small house from my aunt last year and just started the process of getting rid of some of her old clothes yesterday. And cleaning out old papers etc... Yesterday I found some old letters from family members dated 1941-1947. Pretty amazing. In one letter, one of my great aunt's wrote about how well their chickens were producing eggs. Pretty amazing stuff. I won't be throwing any of this away.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, everyone's doing so well - and it's not even Saturday!

I got rid of a bunch of old work clothes that I never did like anyway - about 20 items. Also 2 bags of books ~ 30 of them.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #69

Love this idea! We recently moved, and I have been building a sell/give away pile out in the sun room. I will look for the Saturday thread!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Great idea! I first thought "hey, maybe I will pariticipate as a lurker on this project." I then realized a bit of commitment would help---so I will commit to one non-trivial item per week. As you can see from this--getting rid of "stuff" is not my strong suit! ....and I do have a basement and attic that back up this statement!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I did all of mine at the end of last year. Here is my trash pile:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (750.3 KB, 2 views)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Last week, I went through and pulled out a small pile of bulky sweaters that are just too big for me. They are currently sitting on the bed in my spare bedroom. I have 2 more drawers to go through and then off they all go to the church rummage sale.
I'll get those drawers done by Saturday easily.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
getting rid of spouses' belongings certainly counts, and counts double if you do it without permission!
Don't tell anyone, but here's how to do it: Take the belonging and hide it. If she doesn't notice it's absence after two years, you throw it away.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Don't tell anyone, but here's how to do it: Take the belonging and hide it. If she doesn't notice it's absence after two years, you throw it away.
And meanwhile you have two years' worth of spouses unneeded stuff hidden all over the house at all times? Not that I have a solution to this, mind you!

Frank and I live in different houses, as you all know, and one of the interesting things to me is to see the things that he wants to keep. They sure aren't things that I would decide to keep but that is fine because I don't live there.

I have known him through several moves, and it seems to me that he does much of his culling of possessions when he moves. I do that when I move too, but not to the degree that he does IMO. Often I look at things and wonder why I didn't get rid of them several moves back. That is why culling and re-culling is such a reasonable thing for me to do prior to our move north in a year or two.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #75

Yesterday's contribution was I threw out 2 pairs of my shoes and donated another 2 pairs to charity.

DH threw a coupleof shirts in the trash as they had holes and donated a pair of pants, a pair of tracksuit pants and a t-shirt to charity.

I also cleaned out the bathroom cabinet in the master suite. Managed to throw out a bag of crap from there to the trash.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Urchina, you inspired me! I have so much de-cluttering yet to do. Tonight I found:

6 bottles of various kinds of hair goop or skin goop too old to use
2 pairs of contact lenses from 2004 that didn't work out
12 bottles of contact lense solutions of various kinds and sizes.
2 coffee makers
1 mixer (bowl missing)
20 pairs old socks and knee-highs, 1 shoelace
1 freebie visor with my agency's logo

That's 7 types of things, or 44+ things. I am already happier - - I straightened up one of my lower kitchen cabinets in the process, and it actually has some room in it now.
And this morning,

5 "orphan" pieces from a 35 year old set of Correlleware
odd mugs and glasses
1 mostly evaporated bottle of Kahlua (I don't drink) and half a roll of tinfoil
dozens of Mardi Gras throws (cups - - threw away several hundred last week but didn't see these)
analog kitchen scale
1 gardening glove, other one forever lost
broken pruning shears

Bonus: organized my Tupperware and lids

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #77

Ugh, I should be embarrassed to admit that I cleaned out my pantry and had to toss a 30-gallon garbage can full of expired stuff. Eeeek. Where's that red-faced smilie
Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #78

"Disappeared" one of my kids' toys today. They won't notice in the welter of toys they have, but it's one less thing to keep track of.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

I have already set aside a few items to donate but I will wait until the "Simplifying Saturday" thread officially gets started to post the comprehensive list.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #80
Administrator

Good idea. I guess I'll have to copy/paste my list from this thread to that one. Oh well.

- - H. Melville, 1851