Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

An uninvited visitor -a concern
Old 01-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An uninvited visitor -a concern

There’s side benefit to walking for exercise in all weather but the rain: You meet people. The other walkers for sure and people who stop to say keep it up. I suspect the nature of my work made me into a person who could start a conversation with just about anyone. There’s a guy down the block who rides his bike and walks - I believe he said it clears his mind. His wife walks their pug too and is very friendly. Tom was a bit standoffish at first but I wore him down and we are now friendly and chat when we run into each other.

At around noon he walked up to my front door and knocked and when I opened he said “Ray there was a guy who walked out of you’re backyard apparently from you next door neighbors back yard... someone picked him up at the stop sign at the corner” The lots are wooded and about an acre.. I asked the Mrs to check the camera videos. Sure enough there is a young man who comes from the neighbor yards direction and walks down my driveway and walks off out of camera view...

I call the next door neighbor Joe and discover they are 3 states away on vacation. I walk the perimeter of Joe and Christines house and nothing looks amiss. Joe says his cameras didn’t pick him up. Mine (5) are hard wired and I have extensive coverage. I call the police, they come and they leave having mailed a video clip of the fellow to themselves and the chief. Joe calls back and says he will be back around midnight. They were robbed a couple years back - I believe they cut their stay short 1 day. I say I’m glad to hear that but be careful when you get out of your car (an ill timed joke on my part but its my way of dealing with tense situations).

A few weeks ago we had a incident when DS “Cool Hand” was home alone with the old pooch. Someone came to the front door on a Sunday night truck idling at the street. Connor yelled who are you.. no answer... The dog got so excited that she threw up.. so out of character for her. I posted the incident here..

Burglar scoping the place?? I don’t know what to think... I must admit its got this manly man a bit spooked. I think ill have the Mrs walk the pooch tonight..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had 4 people killed during the day. They answered the door and the guy had a gun. Shot them in the head and took some jewelry. It happened at 4 different homes. We are getting a security system and I am no longer answering the door if I don’t know the person. It was in a good neighborhood.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

4 people killed? That would be national news! Please post some news links to these murders.

We have meter readers go into the back yards where the meters are. They are all in safety vests and friendly enough. They won't go into the fenced yard if the dog is out though and will ring the door bell.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
gone traveling

We live on a county road that is well traveled, but not overly busy. My attention peaks when I see, or hear a car slowing down (no neighbors within 1/4 mile). Several have stopped in front of the house, or in the driveway, I have actually stepped out the door with my arms crossed waiting for them to come to the door....hasn't happened yet.

This probably all stems from having our dog stolen out of our yard while I was home...they left the collar on the front porch a week later. I hate the thought of a camera/survielance system though.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We had 4 people killed during the day. They answered the door and the guy had a gun. Shot them in the head and took some jewelry. It happened at 4 different homes. We are getting a security system and I am no longer answering the door if I don’t know the person. It was in a good neighborhood.
OMG I’m so sorry to hear this! The good neighborhoods often are the ones that get robbed. I’ve had a security system for the past 30 years (3 different houses). I wouldn’t live without one. Some of my neighbors have cameras outdoors and have caught people stealing packages off the porch. I didn’t put that in. Yet. But I sleep comfortably at night with the alarm set.

Best of luck. That’s just terrible.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In Florida it would be the other way around. The bad guy would not have a chance.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Are these the murders in the Reno area?

Prosecution plans upcoming in Nevada killings of 4 people - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Only 19 and here illegally...

There is a gated country club not too far from us. More home invasions, burglaries and other crimes there than outside the gates. The displays of wealth attract the criminals...
Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes Reno. Fortunately we are in a nice but not rich area. Nick do all old people answer their door during the day with a gun pointed?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
We live on a county road that is well traveled, but not overly busy. My attention peaks when I see, or hear a car slowing down (no neighbors within 1/4 mile). Several have stopped in front of the house, or in the driveway, I have actually stepped out the door with my arms crossed waiting for them to come to the door....hasn't happened yet.

This probably all stems from having our dog stolen out of our yard while I was home...they left the collar on the front porch a week later. I hate the thought of a camera/survielance system though.
How timely, Yesterday I watched some random people's ring (doorbell) video.
Incredible how crooks would repeatedly come to the house to check if someone was in , or drive right up to the house in the driveway, knock on the door, and leave after seeing the video camera, yet come back in 5 minutes and try to kick in the door.

Of course if you had one, you might have a video to identify the dog nappers.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 AM   #10

One benefit of condo living is that most random criminals don’t bother. First they have to get into the secured building, and then they’d be running a big risk that a resident would notice if a stranger was going into or taking something out of a unit that wasn’t theirs.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
One benefit of condo living is that most random criminals don’t bother. First they have to get into the secured building, and then they’d be running a big risk that a resident would notice if a stranger was going into or taking something out of a unit that wasn’t theirs.
I used to own a condo apt. (just being clear, as some places it's common to think of a condo townhouse when condo is used).

I was on the security committee, we would actually team up and do walks, checking all the rooms that were common, ex meeting room, lounge, hobby and exercise room to ensure they were locked and only residents were inside. Plus we checked all the garage areas to see nobody was lurking around.

Never had an issue.

I did notice, in thinking like a random thief, that in the hallway all units look the same, unlike a house where some houses look more tempting (richer) than others. Also being in the hallway meant escape was harder, ie: run down the hallway and then wait for elevator or run down the staircase ?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
In Florida it would be the other way around. The bad guy would not have a chance.

The unexpected is hard to react to. I get a knock on my door. Open the door and the guy is either dressed in a fake uniform or pointing a gun at me, how do I react in that moment? Someone quietly breaks in (our dog would not allow that) and attacks while we're sleeping, how do we react to that?

There's the true story of that family in a very upscale neighborhood where the intruders kept them hostage for a few days. No one knew. They drove the mom to the bank for her to withdraw money with the threat of killing the rest of the family if she did not comply. Yikes! That story was so alarming and so true. The whole family died in a fire at the end, but were tortured before the fire.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Closed Thread