Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a saying ..”You dont know until you know”
1. It was the Dad i saw.. he came and knocked on my door - nice fellow he’s recovering from a brain tumor operation and has good and bad times. I caught him at a bad time. He told me he wasn’t angry more confused. When chatting with me his speech would slur.
2. He’s under unbelievable stress with some family tragedies.. the big C and more.
Yikes... poor soul
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just retired from years of working in the courts. The word "epidemic" is no longer hyperbole in discussing this crisis. And no matter the income or class of the family, it's all too tragic. Many young kids dying. Some of them who grew up on welfare, others the children of lawyers, doctors, judges.

Heroin changes your brain functioning. The craving is incredibly intense; people can fully, sincerely intend to stop even as they reach for the next hit. A plague.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kensington neighborhood in Philadelphia is ground zero in the drug wars. What happens in the suburbs is also a tragedy.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
An unsettling evening walk...
Old 07-31-2019, 04:39 AM   #24

An unsettling evening walk...

That neighbor hood was profiled by the news and NYT.
It is 27.5 miles away from the kitchen table I am writing this from. I was unaware of it. I Suspect areas in Wilmington DE are as bad but not as infamous. Perhaps many or all cities have a Kensington?
Im told a foot ball injury sent the young fellow down the block on the path to addiction. I’m grateful the morphine I took for my knee operation killed the pain but made me feel bad.

Thanks for the heads up guys

News
https://youtu.be/gBYAshnY88U

NT Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/m...ladelphia.html
(I subscribe so I see it you may get free articles)
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
In my previous neighborhood, there was one kid with drug habit. For drug money, he resorted to breaking into houses and taking whatever he can grab. The cops finally got him but until he was caught, neighbors were on alert. Otherwise, it was a perfect neighborhood, middle income families with kids minding their own business.
What was the sentence when he was caught?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
...and then there's Keith Richards.
William Burroughs...
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Funny thing we live in a premier neighborhood. Great school district, houses on 1 acre lots, mature landscapes and hills.
I think some might even say affluent. Ive learned Drug addiction happens everywhere.. it cost a good friend his marriage of 20 years, for her it was prescriptions pills and one crash too many.
If i put my hose up tomorrow for $500k their would be 30-50 people at the open house and a bidding war.
Goes to show that the issue is not in "those" sections of towns. It wasn't until the deaths from opiods and the other fallout hit the middle class did it become an issue.

I can assure you that even in the late 60s early it didn't take much effort to find any drug and -----shhhhh----- we didn't have to go to the areas where "those" people lived. We lived in typical suburbia, house upon house etc.

And more than likely, if you/we were to read stories of prohibition all we would have to do is change the product and date and the stories would read the same.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Sadly, Addiction hits all ages and incomes, no distinction.
I have lived in areas where it was out there and very visible, and where it is more hidden.
Currently in a very quiet, safe neighborhood, but still don't go out walking around by myself after dark.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
I can assure you that even in the late 60s early it didn't take much effort to find any drug and -----shhhhh----- we didn't have to go to the areas where "those" people lived. We lived in typical suburbia, house upon house etc.
I remember in the early 60's where a very upscale town near us had a big drug problem eventually leading to a big state police raid right on the streets downtown.

Here's the thing: at least around here, it wasn't a poor kid problem back then; it was mostly bored rich kids who had nothing to do all summer but party and get spaced out.

Mild, perhaps by today's standards but we did have two kids drown after falling off of daddy's big boat while whacked on LSD.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #30

Why the rush to conclusion that he's an opioid addict? OP says the gentleman is beefier than before, most opiate addicts I've met get thin and weak.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #31

Safest place to be after dark is in bed... your OWN bed, that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Currently in a very quiet, safe neighborhood, but still don't go out walking around by myself after dark.
This is a good safety practice even if you don't live among junkies.

We walk our dogs late at night and before sunrise to avoid paw burns from the hot pavement, but our crumbling, uneven asphalt presents a tripping hazard. I am at far higher risk of injury from falling in the darkness than from crackheads, muggers, rapists, coyotes, bears, skunks, etc.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

First article came out today.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/opioid...-20190731.html

Second one covers the long view of drugs.
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news...-20180123.html

Every city has a similar area. But only one city can claim Rocky lived there.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
What was the sentence when he was caught?
I didn't hear any follow up story post the arrest.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I know two families whose athlete sons moved to heroin use after really bad sports injuries. Both became dependent on pain pills and when those supplies ended, heroin was there. In Boulder, one could buy heroin for $5 a hit...much cheaper than a six of Bud.
Last I knew one was a returnee to a halfway house and the other was “ working” in the family business. I hope they can maintain their sobriety.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I remember in the early 60's where a very upscale town near us had a big drug problem eventually leading to a big state police raid right on the streets downtown.

Here's the thing: at least around here, it wasn't a poor kid problem back then; it was mostly bored rich kids who had nothing to do all summer but party and get spaced out.

Mild, perhaps by today's standards but we did have two kids drown after falling off of daddy's big boat while whacked on LSD.
Absolutely the case. Just to add though that it wasn't just the summer. It was all year, easy to find and cheap. I don't really recall the $$ to much anymore but black beauties were maybe .50 ea an oz was like $10-15

But just like now, it wasn't until OMG, the white teenagers are druggies now that the issues came to forefront.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #36

What I don't get is why they start drugging in the first place? Suicidal? Stupid? Peer pressure? Socially acceptable to be a drug addict now? Cool? Got hooked on prescription pills for injury pain? I remember the big ad campaign against drugs in the 60's and 70's. "Here's your brain on drugs". Don't see any anti-drug TV ads today. Just ads for "if you are already hooked, call this number for taxpayer-funded help".
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Drugs are everywhere, especially in well-to-do neighborhoods now that Oxy is so hard to get. The replacement is heroin, which can be delivered in 20 minutes if you know who to call.
Sadly very true.

I have cspine issues that can cause horrific pain. I just had one and my then PCP told me "people like you fell through the cracks" when I explained the pain I had. I asked what she expected me to do, buy heroin? She walked out the door!

I would use a bullet first; however kratom is legal here and does help.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
What I don't get is why they start drugging in the first place? Suicidal? Stupid? Peer pressure? Socially acceptable to be a drug addict now? Cool? Got hooked on prescription pills for injury pain? I remember the big ad campaign against drugs in the 60's and 70's. "Here's your brain on drugs". Don't see any anti-drug TV ads today. Just ads for "if you are already hooked, call this number for taxpayer-funded help".
All of the above? Sounds like you understand it completely.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
For the very same reason to grab a couple of the ol mans cigarettes, grab a beer or two from the fridge.

No different now.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

+100

Some folks drink a couple beers and enjoy the feeling; for others it can be the start an adventure. Somewhere there's a saying about one beer is too many and a thousand isn't enough.......

Addiction takes many forms, substances change over time and availability. Humans have been addicted to them since the dawn of our existence yet we still fail to understand the disease.

It's odd to me that animals do not naturally become addicted to substances. Sure occasionally there's drunken bears from fermenting apples but there's no alcoholic bears. Humans use animals to test addictive substances but it has to be artificially induced. Ever wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
For the very same reason to grab a couple of the ol mans cigarettes, grab a beer or two from the fridge.

No different now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote