Anarchists Arise Once More (Not about SWR)

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anti-gentrification protesters target corporate shuttles on Capitol Hill | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle

Anarchism has a wild and extremely interesting history. These modern so-called anarchists are pale shadows.

Essentially, all they want is for a few hip, attractive and central neighborhoods to be preserved for them and other non greasy-grind corporate keyboard pounders, which latter group clearly can pay much higher rent than the anarcho-punk-hipster baristas can. Also, this well-heeled new group likes to live in cool urban neighborhoods as much as the former denizens.

Obviously they will not get their wishes, and over time will have to migrate to farther out or to more industrial neighborhoods like Georgetown (Former home of the old Rainier Beer Company). Meanwhile their resistance is kind of cute, compared to some other groups whose resistance to gentrification tends to be the individualist entrepreneurial activity of rather violent street crime.

The same conflict is much further along in very high rent San Francisco where so many young Silicon Valley workers have pitched camp, and who are also served by an extremely efficient and deluxe corporate transportation system, which also has the advantage of excluding odd smelling and randomly violent usual city bus riders. (Our city buses are not called "looser cruisers" for nothing.)

For those of you who favor urban living in gentrifying neighborhoods, drawing on my experience, I recommend a place where hipsters, anarchists, and lgbt groups have already established a beachhead.

Ha

Last edited:
Yeah, urban change comes with plenty of chafing. I like the Nature Conservancy model; if you want to preserve it, buy it, but the Big A crowd is dead opposed to those sorts of cures. There's no turning back now anyway, the big money is in there and not surprisingly some is msft derived.

Have you been to ballard lately? You nearly need "people" to get a chair in a diner, let alone a decent place.

For those of you who favor urban living in gentrifying neighborhoods, drawing on my experience, I recommend a place where hipsters, anarchists, and lgbt groups have already established a beachhead.

Ha
Those don't last long. The fortunate few hipsters who can afford to buy early soon become the people they formerly despised.

On the one hand, I think that gentrification may pose a threat to the unique identity of cities like San Francisco. My SF neighborhood used to be gritty and avant-garde. Now it is more or less a dormitory suburb of Silicon Valley. On the other hand, I would have never ventured in this neighborhood 10-15 years ago.

On the one hand, I think that gentrification may pose a threat to the unique identity of cities like San Francisco. My SF neighborhood used to be gritty and avant-garde. Now it is more or less a dormitory suburb of Silicon Valley. On the other hand, I would have never ventured in this neighborhood 10-15 years ago.
LOL, and my feelings exactly. Gentrification always makes neighborhoods safer, but from some points of view less interesting. But honestly, even if it were safe, how many high income people would patronize the storefront businesses that were around before gentrification came to their area? These people all like nice bars, cool coffee houses, tony restaurants and Pilates studios not to mention all the expensive fitness clubs that seem to be on almost every block.

It is really easy to predict what will happen, just takes a while for it all to play out.

Ha

But honestly, even if it were safe, how many high income people would patronize the storefront businesses that were around before gentrification came to their area?

Harrumph! Every neighborhood needs a liquor store, a pawn shop, and a "gentleman's club"... :LOL:

My SF neighborhood used to be gritty and avant-garde. Now it is more or less a dormitory suburb of Silicon Valley. On the other hand, I would have never ventured in this neighborhood 10-15 years ago.
It was probably still a lot less gritty than it was back in gold rush days though, when the "nice" and the less savory areas were right next to each other. I'm thinking of Old Saint Mary's Cathedral on California Street, with the inscription (underneath the clock) designed to persuade the churchgoing men not to be distracted by the brothels across the street -

Old Saint Mary's Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was probably still a lot less gritty than it was back in gold rush days though, when the "nice" and the less savory areas were right next to each other.

The line between Union Square and the Tenderloin is still very thin.;)

Too thin! I was working at the big Dreamforce conference there late last year, left from our swanky hotel, went around the corner from the glittering storefronts only to hit what looked like a post-apocalyptic version of what I'd just walked away from :ermm:

Too thin! I was working at the big Dreamforce conference there late last year, left from our swanky hotel, went around the corner from the glittering storefronts only to hit what looked like a post-apocalyptic version of what I'd just walked away from :ermm:

:LOL: Yes, it is quite a contrast!

The micro-neighborhood between the Tenderloin and Nob Hill is known to some locals as the "Tendernob". SF neighborhoods can take a while to become familiarised with!

Last edited:
In my opinion gentrification is the greatest thing to ever happen in a city these days which have suffered from population loss and decline for years in many places... The city gets safer, the tax revenues go up, the willingness to live in higher density areas increases, and the places look nicer. Sure some people get kicked out of those areas and the places change, but I like to look at the Chicago northside as an example of a dump turning into an amazing place.

Sure the current residents could buy all the property and keep their area the same forever, but that takes MY money. I'd rather spend OTHER people's money to get what I want.

The micro-neighborhood between the Tenderloin and Knob Hill is known to some locals as the "Tender Knob". SF neighborhoods can take a while to become familiarised with!

The lines between neighborhoods can be a bit blurry. I am still not sure in which neighborhood I officially live (there are 4 choices depending on whom you ask).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom