Anatomy of a special meal...

No...But I got a Trophy, a Gold Star, and a Certificate of Accomplishment for "Participation".

So, I have that going for me. Which is NICE.

:)

Reminds me of a story my wife likes to tell. She was living in Florida at the time and was making some fish stock out of fish heads. Smell was getting a little strong so she slid the patio door open and got back to work. Dusk happened and she started hearing a noise. She looked out on to the patio and there were about 50 pairs of glowing eyes - all meowing. Some were climbing the screen on the patio door. Man, that must have been some smelly stock! :LOL:

I do not use fish stock in Cioppino. The seafood aroma from the crab, shrimp, shellfish, and fish fillet is enough. :)

Last edited:
The fish/seafood stock combined with white wine, saffron fennel bulb and tomatoes is what makes Ciopinno IMO.

Last edited:
The bologna needs to be fried just so, then add the finest American cheese-like substance...

If you eat baloney for lunch and Spam for dinner everyday, it's not a special meal, is it?

For me, Cioppino with Dungeness crab, colossal shrimp, green mussels, fish like mahi-mahi or rock fish, squid.

Come to think of it, I have not had this for a while. Better do it soon while the weather is still cool to eat this heavenly chowder.

See photo from Wikipedia.

By the way, this is one of the first dishes I made when I self-taught cooking, back when I was perhaps 35. The other dish was Cajun blackened fish.

PS. I always start mine with mirepoix stewed for a couple of hours to form a thick sauce with a chicken stock and white wine, before tomato is added. The seafood is added at the end, and has to be timed just right to avoid overcooking.

Cioppino.jpg

OMG - my mouth watered reading this! The picture didn't hurt either! YUM!!

I first ate Cioppino at the restaurant on top of the Seattle Space Needle, in our honeymoon trip in 1980.

Many years later, in the 90s, I happened to see a photo of this dish on the cover page of Sunset magazine, and it brought back memory. I decided to make it myself. This or Cajun blackened fish was the first time I ever tried cooking myself, not counting boiling eggs or making instant ramen noodles.

When I served the above 2 dishes that I made myself, people ate it up. And I have been cooking since.

No one has mentioned Spam yet? :confused:

Heck, there has only been one mention of bacon!

Actually, we're having a belated St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner tonight.... it's in the crock pot (one of man's greatest inventions by the way) now... I need to add the cabbage in 10 minutes... Alexa will remind me.

DH nixed corned beef and cabbage this year. He’s really not crazy about corned beef. He says I should smoke another brisket instead.

corned beef in the crockpot with a bottle of beer .... perfect!

Back
Top Bottom