Join Early Retirement Today

Anbody know how to use a cell phone for home phone?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anbody know how to use a cell phone for home phone?

OK, I have been having a running problem with AT&T. See thread below. They have sent another letter to cut off her service and I am now going to move on.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...d-t-86339.html

There were suggestions about going to VOIP etc., but I have decided that my mom never uses the internet and I only pay her bills with it. So I do not want to pay for internet so I can do VOIP.

Now, I was thinking that I could get a cell phone plan and just use that as her home phone. I do not even need a cell phone as she would not know how to use it and she would never charge it anyhow.

So, does anybody know of a system that I can use that would use a cell phone plan but be a home phone?

Or if I do need to actually use a cell phone as a system that I can just leave it plugged into the wall and then have normal landline cordless phones she can use? IOW, hide the phone and everything works like a landline.

This will give her phone and it will also give me the ability to pay bills at her place... but, the internet is not important as I can pay from my house.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Techno.../dp/B00135XU7Q

and the phones lower on the page then keep the cell phone plugged in and out of the way she would be none the wiser and you would accomplish your goal.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

What I did for my mother was straight talk home phone, https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...alk/homephones

The regular house phone plugs into it, and it uplinks to a cellular connection.

If she already has internet service all you need is a magicjack.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I got this for my Mom, it worked well -

AT&T CLP99383 DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone with Bluetooth Connect to Cell

looks like discontinued, here's a similar model:

https://www.amazon.com/AT-TL96273-Ex...81K8BMXEHFGZ93

Look for the terms " Bluetooth Connect to Cell" - just keep the phone plugged in and on, and then ignore the cell phone. You just use the handset like any other phone. It worked reliably for us.

The only added point that might be confusing - you need to select the CELL #1 button on the handset to pick up the call from the cell (the button lights up IIRC). Straightforward, but just a tiny bit different from a normal phone handset.

That straight talk adapter might be good, it would work with any "land line" handset, but I assume it is locked to Straight Talk?

There are similar devices that just connect to Bluetooth of the cell phone (like the one Just_Steve linked), and have a phone jack output - just plug in existing land-line handsets. But check reviews, when I looked some were iffy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info so far...

ERD50, a good suggestion except that she already has enough problems answering the phone as is and changing it is not an option...

Might have to go with Comcast...

UPDATE... while posting this I was talking to AT&T and they said they 'researched' and could not find proof of payment even though I sent in what Chase said was needed.... so I will need a new phone provider...
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There is no other option for a landline phone, no other company? Comcast doesn't have the best rep either.

I understand you are annoyed, is the problem still that they haven't accepted the proof of payment you think you bank sent in? Chase isn't perfect either.
You have two issues ...they wanted to disconnect because they say the bill hasn't been paid and your Mom needs the familiarity of the landline phone. Apparently even the landline can be a problem for her. You aren't going to like my answer is which just re-pay the amount in question (yes pay them twice ) and work on getting a refund ..then you don't have to worry about a phone cutoff. I know that idea sucks but it keeps your Moms phone working without more anxiety.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
UPDATE... while posting this I was talking to AT&T and they saihd they 'researched' and could not find proof of payment even though I sent in what Chase said was needed.... so I will need a new phone provider...
Where did the payments go, then? Were they actually made and deducted from your account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You have two issues ...they wanted to disconnect because they say the bill hasn't been paid and your Mom needs the familiarity of the landline phone. Apparently even the landline can be a problem for her. You aren't going to like my answer is which just re-pay the amount in question (yes pay them twice ) and work on getting a refund ..then you don't have to worry about a phone cutoff. I know that idea sucks but it keeps your Moms phone working without more anxiety.
Yes. Your mom needs a phone she knows how to use. I would bite the bullet and do just what ivinsfan suggests. If you indeed have double-paid and no refund/credit is forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time, then raise holy hell on the phone co's facebook and twitter, but get your mom what she needs first.

You are a good son.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is no other option for a landline phone, no other company? Comcast doesn't have the best rep either.

I understand you are annoyed, is the problem still that they haven't accepted the proof of payment you think you bank sent in? Chase isn't perfect either.

Not worth it to me to pay twice... and I know that I will not get the money back since I already sent in the proof of payment that they rejected... We are talking about $180...

I was the one who sent in the proof of payment... I provided two items for each payment, the one that will print out when you ask for proof from Chase and a screen shot that showed the payment made to ATT....

I am not willing to jump through any more hoops on this... I just called Comcast and am getting her phone from them...

The GOOD news is they actually have the call blocking features that I wanted that ATT did not provide... I will set her up when we get it installed...

Edit to add.... no, there is no other phone company that I can find that offers it where she is.... I went to an online site that gave the names of a few companies but they were all for business except ATT and Comcast... that is why I was looking at a cell option... but, I do not have time right now so I went with what I can get now...
Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Where did the payments go, then? Were they actually made and deducted from your account?

Yes. Your mom needs a phone she knows how to use. I would bite the bullet and do just what ivinsfan suggests. If you indeed have double-paid and no refund/credit is forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time, then raise holy hell on the phone co's facebook and twitter, but get your mom what she needs first.

You are a good son.

I do not have a clue!!! Yes, they came out of the checking account... that is one of the proofs that I sent to them...

And we have been paying on this bill for 8 years with no problem and I have made a couple of payments since the lost payments without an issue... ATT changed something on where to mail the payment, but they should still have the payments SOMEPLACE... they just seem to be doing as little as possible and wanting me to jump through hoops...

It also takes between 20 minutes and an hour to get someone, explain what is going on and get an answer... raise it to a mgr level and explain again...
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You found a good solution and hopefully you can get the phone switch to be seamless so she isn't without service..However you know that transferring to another phone company wont' make the problem with AT and T go away. They are going to keep bugging you and your Mom.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the info so far...

ERD50, a good suggestion except that she already has enough problems answering the phone as is and changing it is not an option...

Might have to go with Comcast...
Then go with the suggestion that Just_Steve provided - once you set it up with the cell phone, you plug her old phone into the box (instead of the wall jack), and it will be used exactly like her current home "land-line" phone.

If you want to use wired extensions through the house, that can be done too, but you have to make sure the telco is disconnected at the point where it enters the house. Then plug the box phone jack into any jack in the house, and it will "light up" all the other jacks in the house (if your wiring is good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
If you buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Techno.../dp/B00135XU7Q

and the phones lower on the page then keep the cell phone plugged in and out of the way she would be none the wiser and you would accomplish your goal.
Just to clarify, the adapter works with any standard phone, not just ones like they show on the "bought with" links.

-ERD50
Old 05-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #12

my two cents, i know you are mad. BUT, if it were my ma, i would use my own money to repay the over due bills, let her keep her phone she knows how to use. I got my ma a cell phone for children, it had 4 buttons, a picture of a boy, a pic for a girl, and the answer and hangup buttons. if she needed to call me or the bride just push the button. she never hung up the phone. hahahahaha. every call lasted till the prepaid minutes were used up. However,she did plug it in . I decided changes like this for mom are a bad idea.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You found a good solution and hopefully you can get the phone switch to be seamless so she isn't without service..However you know that transferring to another phone company wont' make the problem with AT and T go away. They are going to keep bugging you and your Mom.

Yea, but I can block their calls and I pay all the bills... I have ignored a number of bills she gets from services she had ordered and I had to cancel.... I would even get confirmation number that she was cancelled and then get another bill and another and then demand letters... if it were left in her hands she would keep paying bills she does not owe...

We will see about the switch... we cannot port the number since ATT will shut off service on Mon and Comcast right now cannot come out until Fri... however, they do have someone who is going to look into getting her service sooner and let me know..

Now I am going to go after Chase and see if I can get the money back!!!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Then go with the suggestion that Just_Steve provided - once you set it up with the cell phone, you plug her old phone into the box (instead of the wall jack), and it will be used exactly like her current home "land-line" phone.

If you want to use wired extensions through the house, that can be done too, but you have to make sure the telco is disconnected at the point where it enters the house. Then plug the box phone jack into any jack in the house, and it will "light up" all the other jacks in the house (if your wiring is good).

Just to clarify, the adapter works with any standard phone, not just ones like they show on the "bought with" links.

-ERD50

If I had more time I might have gone with Just_Steve... but it is a bit more expensive than Comcast... Comcast all in is a bit above $34 with the modem... ATT was charging $45 PLUS another $10 for long distance which we never ordered!!!

I am hoping that I can plug the phone into the modem and the wireless do the job... we have 3 handsets and all I have to do is move the base... if not, we will run a wire around the living room to light up the phone jacks...

Thanks all for the quick responses... I never thought that sending in proof of payment would not be enough and had let it go... my bad...
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
If I had more time I might have gone with Just_Steve... but it is a bit more expensive than Comcast... Comcast all in is a bit above $34 with the modem... ATT was charging $45 PLUS another $10 for long distance which we never ordered!!!

I am hoping that I can plug the phone into the modem and the wireless do the job... we have 3 handsets and all I have to do is move the base... if not, we will run a wire around the living room to light up the phone jacks...

Thanks all for the quick responses... I never thought that sending in proof of payment would not be enough and had let it go... my bad...
The Comcast price is not bad. If need be you can monitor the phone logs and see who is calling.

For the AT&T mess, why not file a complaint with your State Attorney General?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Comcast price is not bad. If need be you can monitor the phone logs and see who is calling.

For the AT&T mess, why not file a complaint with your State Attorney General?

I will look into it, but what will it accomplish?

And yes, I will like the ability to look at who is calling and also blocking calls.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
my two cents, i know you are mad. BUT, if it were my ma, i would use my own money to repay the over due bills, let her keep her phone she knows how to use. I got my ma a cell phone for children, it had 4 buttons, a picture of a boy, a pic for a girl, and the answer and hangup buttons. if she needed to call me or the bride just push the button. she never hung up the phone. hahahahaha. every call lasted till the prepaid minutes were used up. However,she did plug it in . I decided changes like this for mom are a bad idea.
Yes, but a cell phone hooked through BlueTooth with the adapter listed will connect to her old land line phone. It won't look any different to her, she will use her old phone just like before.

It's like the phone company updating their equipment in the Central Office. Mom doesn't notice that either.

-ERD50
Old 05-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, but a cell phone hooked through BlueTooth with the adapter listed will connect to her old land line phone. It won't look any different to her, she will use her old phone just like before.

It's like the phone company updating their equipment in the Central Office. Mom doesn't notice that either.

-ERD50
ok i think we have a winner
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like the options given and if Comcast does not work out I will go to one of these options...

I was thinking about using Tracfone, but am worried if she does not hang up as I have mentioned in my other thread... I have gone to her house and seen the phone at over 5 hours connected...

I guess a $40 or so plan is worth it if we need to go there....
Old 05-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #20

We have one of these: http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-...ss-home-phone/ at my mom's house. Landline phone plugs into it. Works very well. Cost is the same as an additional cellphone line. The only downside is a 911 call does not automatically identify the address, the 911 system assumes it is a mobile phone.

We are stuck with verizon wireless at this location, the only reliable signal at this spot.

The best thing: it's a new wireless number and nobody but family has it. Virtually eliminated junk telemarketer calls

She still keeps the old landline. The landline goes to an answering machine only.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote