And you thought YOU had a bad job...

Ahhh.... that python was probably only 13 feet long....most guys exaggerate the length of their snakes....

Horrifying! There should be a ban on people importing snakes into the country. Makes me want to move to Hawaii, where I understand there are no snakes.

Horrifying! There should be a ban on people importing snakes into the country. Makes me want to move to Hawaii, where I understand there are no snakes.
Well, only imported ones. :)

Also, are you confusing Hawaii and Ireland?

I don't know about now, but as I recall 50 years ago there were no snakes in Hawaii (no rabies, either).

They had a picture in our local newspaper yesterday . It took three people to pull this snake out of the drain and it was massive .

Well, only imported ones. :)
Also, are you confusing Hawaii and Ireland?
Snake pets are illegal in Hawaii, although the newspaper runs the rare animal-control horror story. The state spends a few million dollars a year on inspections of ships & aircraft.

We do have one or two species of sea snakes in the waters around the islands. They can't live on land but infrequently wash up on the beach. We have the "brahminy blind snake", which is about the size of a worm and fortunately thinks termites are yummy. It's a fairly recent invader.

The occasional brown tree snake drops out of airplane wheel wells that have been through Guam, mostly military flights. Usually by the time the plane lands in Hawaii the snake is dead. There are reports that one or two made it off the runway (the snakes, not the planes) but there's never been further evidence of infestation.

In praise of Hawaii's own snake-bagging saints - Nature Calls - Starbulletin.com

starbulletin.com | News | /2007/03/30/

We do have one or two species of sea snakes in the waters around the islands. They can't live on land but infrequently wash up on the beach. We have the "brahminy blind snake", which is about the size of a worm and fortunately thinks termites are yummy. It's a fairly recent invader.http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/03/30/news/story09.html
I see a lot of blind snakes in my back yard. I thought they were worms at first -- and indeed, they are harmless to humans and couldn't bite us if they wanted to -- their mouths aren't big enough.

And when I heard their favorite "meals" were termites and ants, well, it became very easy to welcome them on my property...

Back
Top Bottom