Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Snakes scare the bejeebers out of me. Last week the landscapers were at our house trimming the shrubs. They blow the trimmings out of the beds and then gather them up. DW says "a snake just flew past the front doors". Of course I had to investigate. It was true. The workers said it blew into the fountain. Took them about 15 minutes to get it out amd take it out back to the golf course swamp area. It was a black snake which are good to have around unless you live with DW. I'm telling daughter about this and she says they have a dead Coral snake at their house. Next day I drive over to see it. Sure enough! "Red touch black, no hurt Jack, red touch yellow, kill a fellow". That's what it was. The other similar snake is a King snake and "harmless". I'm not into bedbugs.

JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I didn't even think they bothered with antivenom for water moccasins. I thought they just gave heavy antibiotics to fight the bacteria from the bite.

I worked with a guy in Louisiana who was bitten by a water moccasin while digging in his potato patch, and the hospital decided not to give the antivenom. Poor guy hobbled around for weeks with a surgical boot on his right leg.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There I was at the Marriott, just about ready for a tall cool one...

And then this happens !

Of course, It could be worse. So Don't fall asleep at the pool ! Those snakes just go anywhere !

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #25
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The girl I went to the senior prom with had moved east from the California desert. Her summer job the year before was catching rattlers for the snake milkers.

Harley, we need a scorecard for the very odd professions of your ex girlfriends!
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Talking about how to handle snakes which visit your homes - when I was in Malaysia, there are lots of snakes and they do come into the homes sometimes. These are some of the DIY methods to kill or chase a snake out which my family members have tried before (NOTE, KIND OF DANGEROUS, SO PLEASE DON'T TRY AND IF YOU DO, THE RISK IS YOURS) - kill it by throwing a chair on it (make sure your aim is good), chase it out with a stick (not sure how it actually works), grab the phone, jump on a high table and call for help, then stay motionless (something I would do) and my all time favorite which is what my mother did - spray mosquito spray into it then run for your life.

Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote