Join Early Retirement Today

Andrew McCutchen's leaked pay stub
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Andrew McCutchen's leaked pay stub

Seems the poor guy left his 2 week pay stub in visiting locker room and it went viral. Although he makes more in 2 weeks than I did my last 8-9 years combined, I actually felt sorry for the guy.
Income $820,659.88. Federal Income tax $322,074. State Income $16,775
Medicare $19,775. Also had deducted taxes from various cities ( many places he plays smacks an entertainment tax on them) and $9,855 Pittsburg Professional Athlete Fee.
Anyhow he netted only $427,098.49 for the 2 weeks work. Everyone likes to talk about how great a deal Medicare is. I imagine Mr. McCutchen would have a strong case in disagreeing with that statement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

At least he's contributing $1500/paycheck to his 401k.

Picture can be found here:
Let's Take A Look At Andrew McCutchen's Pay Stub
Old 05-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

Interesting...I only got the newspaper article version. That city entertainment tax is just a flat out money grab and shameful. I dont care how much they make. Big multi million dollar money men and CEO's who fly into a town to conduct business, don't get smacked in the wallet like that.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Interesting...I only got the newspaper article version. That city entertainment tax is just a flat out money grab and shameful. I dont care how much they make. Big multi million dollar money men and CEO's who fly into a town to conduct business, don't get smacked in the wallet like that.

Well, with all due respect, I disagree. The people who fly into town to conduct business are typically signing contracts or selling things ('business to business transactions'). The ballplayers (and comedians, and other people who spend limited time in cities) are earning their salary in that specific city. No different if a contractor does work in another city building a building - they are doing that specific work and earning their money in that city. Their presence in the city isn't an 'accident' (in the sense that they could have easily done their work in their home office in another city) - their presence is absolutely required to earn the money.

However, this will likely all be a moot issue with the recent SCOTUS decision that other states/cities that tax you if you don't live there cannot collect income taxes from you.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That first paycheck hurts when they take FICA out of it, before it maxes out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
However, this will likely all be a moot issue with the recent SCOTUS decision that other states/cities that tax you if you don't live there cannot collect income taxes from you.
If you earn income in another state or locality they are free to tax you. The SC ruling is about double taxation, so if your state of residence also taxes you on income earned elsewhere it must also credit state income taxes paid elsewhere. My guess would be a city tax won't be eligible for this credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That first paycheck hurts when they take FICA out of it, before it maxes out.
SS maxes but Meidcare has no upper income limit.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Well, with all due respect, I disagree. The people who fly into town to conduct business are typically signing contracts or selling things ('business to business transactions'). The ballplayers (and comedians, and other people who spend limited time in cities) are earning their salary in that specific city. No different if a contractor does work in another city building a building - they are doing that specific work and earning their money in that city. Their presence in the city isn't an 'accident' (in the sense that they could have easily done their work in their home office in another city) - their presence is absolutely required to earn the money.

My assumption is the belief they are already paying that income tax also in their residence, thus being a double tax. If my assumption is wrong I would be agreeing with you. The cynic in me proposes that out of town athlete/entertainers have less political influence than CEOs do. In my simple mind they are both coming to town to "perform their job".

Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I wonder why he doesn't contribute the max right away instead of spreading it out through the year. It also looks like he might not get an employer match. Tough life.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

I shed NO tears for these major league athletes...or any other top entertainers. They PLAY for a living, and usually in luxurious venues that ordinary taxpayers heavily subsidize.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I shed NO tears for these major league athletes...or any other top entertainers. They PLAY for a living, and usually in luxurious venues that ordinary taxpayers heavily subsidize.
THANK YOU! Local taxpayers shell out millions to build stadiums, arenas, etc. then after a few years when the team wants something bigger and better, they blackmail the locals into more subsidies to build a new venue by threatening to move. It's a ripoff.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

Well, at least he realized he could afford a haircut.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
THANK YOU! Local taxpayers shell out millions to build stadiums, arenas, etc. then after a few years when the team wants something bigger and better, they blackmail the locals into more subsidies to build a new venue by threatening to move. It's a ripoff.

Might be a distinction without difference, but I blame the owners and leagues for this not the players. NFL is the worst though. Hundreds of millions spent on stadiums yet most of their revenue is derived from TV.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at your airline ticket, hotel receipt, rental car receipt, etc. Lots of taxes and fees...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Take a look at your airline ticket, hotel receipt, rental car receipt, etc. Lots of taxes and fees...

That is why they generally don't like to take this things to a public vote as to a certain degree the non interested public subsidizes the smaller fan base. A bit like your tv cable bill if you have it. ESPN is a very expensive channel and is subsidized by the non sport viewers. Sports economics is a very curious model in its self anyways... Viewers complain about high cable bill. Cable company fights with a Fox sports station or other channel broadcasting sports when they demand higher payments. Cable company drops them. Viewers raise hell threaten to cancel and cable company surrenders and pays...Then the monthly bill gets raised to cover the increase rights fees and then customers raise hell about the price increase.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if he actually knows what the 401K deduction is for?